Micron - Let’s try this again | Page 23 | Syracusefan.com

Micron - Let’s try this again

its a national defense issue. Don't know how many fabs get built, but Micron said it would be a 10? year window. But unless there is some new technology to replace semiconductor chips, it's gonna happen
It's a 20 year window. It will be 8-10 to get the first two up and running.

Excellent opportunity for Oswego to fill a niche for Micron, Wolfspeed and Global Foundries. I hope they see that and find out what the companies need.
No doubt that a close relationship is important to make this work.

No doubt that a close relationship is important to make this work.

Just as a point of information, every potential chip plant project (nationwide) is tied to at least one local higher education institution. I have been in meetings regarding the Micron project and I've found the level of detail to be amazing. For example, as part of their long term plan, designers/planners are collaborating with local nursing schools to expand their programs so that the supply of nurses keeps up with forecasted demands.

But, will they go the distance?
This

They need faculty with real world experience in the semi-conductor industry...not just academic wonks with theoretical knowledge.

This is where hiring lots of adjunct faculty from CA, ID, The Northeast and from Taiwan and the Netherlands helps.

My alma mater, RIT, has an awesome Microelectronic Enginnering program (semiconductor design and fab). You are also required to do several co-op semesters where you alternate semesters of going to class with interning at a company like Micron. They have to be estatic about Micron coming.

My alma mater, RIT, has an awesome Microelectronic Enginnering program (semiconductor design and fab). You are also required to do several co-op semesters where you alternate semesters of going to class with interning at a company like Micron. They have to be estatic about Micron coming.
Definitely...now about that ugly RIT campus lol

They already had a relationship with Micron and it is being expanded.

I think they might benefit the most of all the schools in upstate NY with this development. As you say, it is right up their alley.

They already had a relationship with Micron and it is being expanded.

I think they might benefit the most of all the schools in upstate NY with this development. As you say, it is right up their alley.
Not quite the same, but also this:

This

They need faculty with real world experience in the semi-conductor industry...not just academic wonks with theoretical knowledge.

This is where hiring lots of adjunct faculty from CA, ID, The Northeast and from Taiwan and the Netherlands helps.

Well, when they break ground on the first fabricator plant, then Micron can come up with money to help these universities draw professors from the Bay Area or from Texas. Lots of chip companies were born in both places.