Micron - Let’s try this again | Page 25 | Syracusefan.com

Micron - Let’s try this again

Certainly. I’m involved in the shopping town project. We’re going through eminent domain right now.

Regarding Great Northern. I am going off Hart’s history of “projects” in the Syracuse area. There’s a lot of BS he spews. Many get planned. Nothing happens. So I’ll believe that one when I see it.
You know more about this than me. But I think he at least owns all of it and he has a great location. If he can’t make this work, he truly is incompetent.

Because I shopped there and went there for movies for 30 years.

If Micron is going to build a major plant just down the road, that would seem to make reopening the mall something to consider.
Hasn't that location been sold and already slated for development into something else?

Edit: Nevermind. sutomcat beat me to it.

It was bought last year. Slated for mixed purpose development, not unlike what is planned for Shoppingtown.

Expect apartments, townhomes, entertainment venues, restaurants, and medical offices.

Maybe they will bring back the theatres,

Speaking of that redevelopment I’m surprised pyramid hasn’t given consideration to converting all the empty department store space st destiny into some type of housing. Macy’s is the only one left. Those parcels were on the edge of the property where they have their own entrance and parking areas. Seems like a no brainer since we’re talking upwards of a million square feet that is collecting no rent now and for the foreseeable future.

Speaking of that redevelopment I’m surprised pyramid hasn’t given consideration to converting all the empty department store space st destiny into some type of housing. Macy’s is the only one left. Those parcels were on the edge of the property where they have their own entrance and parking areas. Seems like a no brainer since we’re talking upwards of a million square feet that is collecting no rent now and for the foreseeable future.
Agree. I think it is inevitable that some of DestinyUSA will become housing.

I assume they are hoping against hope that this 'shop via the Internet' thing is just a fad and will go away soon. Good luck with that.

There will probably be offices coming there too.

I think it would be smart to create an indoor sports center. Golf simulators, batting cages, indoor soccer and lacrosse and pickleball. That would draw more people to the location and help the businesses that remain there.

the golf sim area is sitting unused. nothing to do but buy some Sims.. the issue as always is the rent is too high for many of these places.

the golf sim area is sitting unused. nothing to do but buy some Sims.. the issue as always is the rent is too high for many of these places.

Biggest thing right here is rent at a shopping mall

I know back when the Gap was at the little Oakdale Mall in Binghamton are rent per month was something 5k a month. The store was maybe 1000 sq ft

Just absolutely insane the amount that rent has to be to keep these malls in working order

Putting aside the concern about what their lenders might say ("NO"), converting 60,000 to 90,000 square foot floor plates to residential is no easy feat.

Ithaca did a nice job at the mall converting a big space into medical, easy parking and drawing some traffic back into the food area as well.

Kills two birds. You get more housing and people to live at Destiny and use it.

Ithaca did a nice job at the mall converting a big space into medical, easy parking and drawing some traffic back into the food area as well.
A medical complex might be another possible use at Destiny. The place has to evolve with a combination of several uses.

A medical complex might be another possible use at Destiny. The place has to evolve with a combination of several uses.
I think they would be open to selling those former department store spaces, but the astronomical debt might be scaring away prospective buyers. I think Macy's owns their space and have not been affected by the rent that would otherwise be inflicted.

I realize debt financing is a thing and happens in a lot of places, but the sheer amount of debt incurred by Pyramid despite the tax breaks is mind-boggling. Is it not fiscal malpractice when you don't even try to pay down the debt and just pay off the interest?

Putting aside the concern about what their lenders might say ("NO"), converting 60,000 to 90,000 square foot floor plates to residential is no easy feat.
At Shoppingtown, it sounds like the plan is to knock down a lot of the existing mall and build the housing related buildings from scratch. Probably not an option at Destiny.

Hopefully the Pyramid people show some creative talents we haven't seen yet to repurpose some of the space. The good news is that there are still a lot of stores, activity centers and foot traffic there. I could see young people wanting to live there. Especially if there were a few more bars and restaurants that would interest them there.

Guessing there will be government incentives to repurpose space for housing that might help here.

As much as Pyramid may want to cry bad luck with the timing of the destiny expansion and being saddled with 850,000 sq ft of extra GLA, imagine how much harder it would be had that Emerald 5 "Green" Hotel been constructed instead. Remember they wanted to build that skyscraper first and then add the GLA in Phase 2, but the city demanded otherwise. At least with the expansion as is, it's possible to rearrange some of the retail and entertainment parcels to accommodate mixed uses going forward. The hotel would have been a nightmare to reclaim and adapt.

As far as Pyramid thinking outside their comfort zone and helping this along, I'm not holding my breath. I hope I'm wrong because the opportunity to reimagine is here and now.

Biggest thing right here is rent at a shopping mall

I know back when the Gap was at the little Oakdale Mall in Binghamton are rent per month was something 5k a month. The store was maybe 1000 sq ft

Just absolutely insane the amount that rent has to be to keep these malls in working order
I wonder how the rent compares to some of these "lifestyle centers" like Town Center, Township 5 and Fairmount Fair.

I wonder how the rent compares to some of these "lifestyle centers" like Town Center, Township 5 and Fairmount Fair.
Township 5 has a great mix of tenants. Apartments, hotel, restaurants, entertainment, shopping including costco with a gas station, some medical, fitness, pet store, liquor store. Pretty much everything you need. Home Depot a couple minutes away. Hopefully it will still be a viable place in 20 years.

Township 5 has a great mix of tenants. Apartments, hotel, restaurants, entertainment, shopping including costco with a gas station, some medical, fitness, pet store, liquor store. Pretty much everything you need. Home Depot a couple minutes away. Hopefully it will still be a viable place in 20 years.
The Tru Hotel or whatever its name is... that's a baffling one. I can't imagine who would want to lodge at that exit.

I think they would be open to selling those former department store spaces, but the astronomical debt might be scaring away prospective buyers. I think Macy's owns their space and have not been affected by the rent that would otherwise be inflicted.

I realize debt financing is a thing and happens in a lot of places, but the sheer amount of debt incurred by Pyramid despite the tax breaks is mind-boggling. Is it not fiscal malpractice when you don't even try to pay down the debt and just pay off the interest?
If any space is converted into Medical the renovation costs do go up...NEC (Code) requires redundant wiring systems for medical facilities.

However, I think it would be a solid reuse option for some of the space.

When I was working at Social Security there were rumors we'd move from the Federal Building to Destiny. It never happened but converting the big stores to office space makes sense.

As much as Pyramid may want to cry bad luck with the timing of the destiny expansion and being saddled with 850,000 sq ft of extra GLA, imagine how much harder it would be had that Emerald 5 "Green" Hotel been constructed instead. Remember they wanted to build that skyscraper first and then add the GLA in Phase 2, but the city demanded otherwise. At least with the expansion as is, it's possible to rearrange some of the retail and entertainment parcels to accommodate mixed uses going forward. The hotel would have been a nightmare to reclaim and adapt.

As far as Pyramid thinking outside their comfort zone and helping this along, I'm not holding my breath. I hope I'm wrong because the opportunity to reimagine is here and now.

I think they're openminded but got caught in a perfect storm. So now they're white-knuckling their way while hoping that aquarium construction and housing developments can bridge the gap until their project (still heavily entertainment-focused, but possibly with some of the medical, etc. uses mentioned here) is stabilized.

I think they're openminded but got caught in a perfect storm. So now they're white-knuckling their way while hoping that aquarium construction and housing developments can bridge the gap until their project (still heavily entertainment-focused, but possibly with some of the medical, etc. uses mentioned here) is stabilized.
Destiny is screwed