Mike Hopkins and UW | Page 14 | Syracusefan.com

Mike Hopkins and UW

According to the article, "Carter ... had not taken part in any basketball activities for Washington since October [of 2020]. Washington athletics said Oct. 15 that Carter was suspended for violating the school’s intercollegiate athletics student code of conduct and was suspended from all team activities. University spokesman Victor Balta said Saturday that two students reported accusations of sexual assault by Carter to Washington’s Title IX office earlier this year. In each case, an administrative hearing officer determined Carter had violated the school’s policy against sexual assault. Carter’s suspension was finalized earlier this week following unsuccessful appeals of both cases."

Unlike LifelongHusky, I don't fault Hopkins for giving Carter the presumption of innocence that we are all entitled to, until proven guilty. He apparently let Carter participate with the team until he exhausted all of his due process rights. Once Carter was finally found "guilty" (in a UW internal Title IX proceeding, rather than a criminal trial), and his internal appeals were exhausted, he was excluded from participation.

Hop let the process play out with Naz. Don’t think there is really any fault there. Most coaches would have done the same.

Well I apologize if I’m beating the same drum too many times.

Hop is a guy that’s so easy to root for, and you want him to succeed, but it just isn’t happening. The program is at rock bottom, easily the worst it’s been in 20+ years. I know people will say UW is a garbage but this is much worst than what we had with our last coach.

Hop let the process play out with Naz. Don’t think there is really any fault there. Most coaches would have done the same.

Hop is a guy that’s so easy to root for, and you want him to succeed, but it just isn’t happening. The program is at rock bottom, easily the worst it’s been in 20+ years. I know people will say UW is a garbage but this is much worst than what we had with our last coach.
never fear . . . jimmy boeheim may be riding to the rescue for 21-22!

According to the article, "Carter ... had not taken part in any basketball activities for Washington since October [of 2020]. Washington athletics said Oct. 15 that Carter was suspended for violating the school’s intercollegiate athletics student code of conduct and was suspended from all team activities. University spokesman Victor Balta said Saturday that two students reported accusations of s e xual assault by Carter to Washington’s Title IX office earlier this year. In each case, an administrative hearing officer determined Carter had violated the school’s policy against s e xual assault. Carter’s suspension was finalized earlier this week following unsuccessful appeals of both cases."

Unlike LifelongHusky, I don't fault Hopkins for giving Carter the presumption of innocence that we are all entitled to, until proven guilty. He apparently let Carter participate with the team until he exhausted all of his due process rights. Once Carter was finally found "guilty" (in a UW internal Title IX proceeding, rather than a criminal trial), and his internal appeals were exhausted, he was excluded from participation.

Twitter is the worst

Yes, last place two years in a row is unacceptable. But there have been extenuating circumstances, including losing your PG last year, which created a huge void. Washington would have been good last season if it wasn’t for Quade’s academic probation. And now Naz this season. Hop is a good coach. He’ll get it turned around.

Last edited:
Yes, last place two years in a row is unacceptable. But there have been extenuating circumstances, including losing your PG last year, which was a huge loss. Washington would have been good last season if it wasn’t for losing Quade. And now Naz this season. Hop is a good coach. He’ll get it turned around.

Losing both of them was huge. IMO the Quade loss was on Hop. It’s on coaches and staff to make sure kids go to class and get passing grades. There is a reason why you almost never see kids go academically ineligible. From what I heard, coaches weren’t staying on Quade when it came to school work.

The issue is UW isn’t even being competitive. They are losing almost every game by 20+ points. It’s one thing to be bad, it’s another to not even be competitive.

Hop has no turn around plan for the near future. Quade is the only guy who could play meaningful minutes for most teams, and he’s gone next season.

Last edited:
Yes, last place two years in a row is unacceptable. But there have been extenuating circumstances, including losing your PG last year, which was a huge loss. Washington would have been good last season if it wasn’t for losing Quade. And now Naz this season. Hop is a good coach. He’ll get it turned around.
Washington still had 2 first round NBA draft picks on last years team. They should have been good without a PG. The Pac 12 stunk last year and they were the worst team. That's not just because of Quade.

Eh. Hard to be good in college hoops without a PG. Should have made sure he was in class.

Hop knows how to ride kids and get them to class. Not sure his assistants did...but ultimately it’s Hops head.

No doubt, there's not a position in the game that comes close to being as critical as good/solid guard play, especially at the point guard position. Hence, the "floor general," etc. moniker.

Hop returning to Cuse would be a win/win for both Hop and Cuse. Hop as HC at Cuse offers so much more on the + side than the -. Hop would reinvigorate the program as a young coach who is perfectly endowed with an understanding of the program, it's traditions, the zone... and no other coach would be better suited to apply those things and perhaps implement changes which would establish the trajectory of the program for the future. The recruiting acumen and connections he has fostered over several decades by itself is a benefit which would immediately provide dividends for the program. Better that Hop has encountered adversity at another school as he set out on his Head coaching career... it will make him all the more suited to take over at the school where he rightly belongs.

Hop returning to Cuse would be a win/win for both Hop and Cuse. Hop as HC at Cuse offers so much more on the + side than the -. Hop would reinvigorate the program as a young coach who is perfectly endowed with an understanding of the program, it's traditions, the zone... and no other coach would be better suited to apply those things and perhaps implement changes which would establish the trajectory of the program for the future. The recruiting acumen and connections he has fostered over several decades by itself is a benefit which would immediately provide dividends for the program. Better that Hop has encountered adversity at another school as he set out on his Head coaching career... it will make him all the more suited to take over at the school where he rightly belongs.
Hop is no longer a young coach. He’s in his 50’s.

IMO it’s either Hop, Red or GMAC for our next coach. I want an in-house coach to replace JB, with the caveat of a short leash. If that fails after 4 years, I’m all for a national search. My preference as of today would be Hop

Washington has the lowest NET of any P5 team. Hop has officially taken UW to rock bottom.

And I could care less whether the next coach uses the zone.

Thank you. Me neither! If the next coach isn't comfortable using zone, it'd be silly to force something on him just because of "tradition." And if he does play zone, that's fine too. But winning is the priority.

Such a shame. And you guys had it rolling until Hopkins got there.

We were never a good hoops program, but we were also never this bad. There is a difference in being a middling program and a bottom feeder. Before we were more like an NCST, Hop has brought us down to BC. There is a big difference between being mediocre and being one of the worst P5 teams.

Romar only had one back to back season under .500 in conference, and it was an 8-10 team followed by a 7-11 team, in what was a much better Pac-12. Hop went 5-13 last season, and may not win a conference game this year. Hop is something like 5-23 in his last 28 games. Think about that. Here just take a look.

A coaches job is to improve the team. We finished in last place in Romar’s last season. Year three Hop got us last place, and looks like last place again in year four. Has he improved the team? Simple question.

Last edited:
We were never a good hoops program, but we were also never this bad. There is a difference in being a middling program and a bottom feeder. Before we were more like an NCST, Hop has brought us down to BC. There is a big difference between being mediocre and being one of the worst P5 teams.

Romar only had one back to back season under .500 in conference, and it was an 8-10 team followed by a 7-11 team, in what was a much better Pac-12. Hop went 5-13 last season, and may not win a conference game this year. Hop is something like 5-23 in his last 28 games. Think about that. Here just take a look.

A coaches job is to improve the team. We finished in last place in Romar’s last season. Year three Hop got us last place, and looks like last place again in year four. Has he improved the team? Simple question.
N.C. State has won two national championships. Maybe a Wake Forest or Vanderbilt?

No he hasn't so eventually UW will fire him. They did extend him though ( right?) and I don't think UW will eat the remaining years in this climate and I doubt any booster cares enough to pay the buyout this year, maybe after next year they will just have too eat it and fire him. bad fit for both parties and Hop will need to reset at a smaller Northeastern program. It happens but UW rolled the dice and hired a first time HC from the East coast who had not been on the west coast in 30 years. Hop will win every press conference and he can recruit in the Northeast but can he coach? His next job will determine his future as a HC but most have failed at UW so I won't put it all on him. UW has been bad for a long time though.

When was the last time UW was any good at hoops? The Detlef Shrempf and Christain Welp days?

Last edited:
Hop is no longer a young coach. He’s in his 50’s.
Just some info on prospective coaches and ages:

Birthday/current age

James Arthur Boeheim 11/17/1944 (76 yards old)
Jay Wright 12/24/1961 (59 years old)
Mike Hopkins 8/6/1969 (51 years old)
Adrian Autry 02/28/1972 (48 years old)
Nate Oats 10/13/1974 (46 years old)
Rob Murphy 09/19/1973 (47 years old)
Kevin Willard 4/6/1975 (45 years old)
Allen Griffin 05/24/1978 (42 years old)
Gerry McNamara 8/28/1983 (37 years old)
Greg Paulus 07/03/1986 (34 years old)
Buddy Boeheim 11/11/1999 (21 years old)

JAB was hired on 4/3/1976. He was, according to my calculations, 31 years old at the time.

Just some info on prospective coaches and ages:

Birthday/current age

James Arthur Boeheim 11/17/1944 (76 yards old)
Jay Wright 12/24/1961 (59 years old)
Mike Hopkins 8/6/1969 (51 years old)
Adrian Autry 02/28/1972 (48 years old)
Nate Oats 10/13/1974 (46 years old)
Rob Murphy 09/19/1973 (47 years old)
Kevin Willard 4/6/1975 (45 years old)
Allen Griffin 05/24/1978 (42 years old)
Gerry McNamara 8/28/1983 (37 years old)
Greg Paulus 07/03/1986 (34 years old)
Buddy Boeheim 11/11/1999 (21 years old)

JAB was hired on 4/3/1976. He was, according to my calculations, 31 years old at the time.
You know, I can remember that day like it was yesterday. I don't know if that is good or bad.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom