Mike Hopkins and UW | Page 42 | Syracusefan.com

Mike Hopkins and UW

We're a cute story every few years in March after being the punchline to jokes about living on the bubble.
Yeah, cause it’s always “cute” to make Sweet 16 & Final 4 runs, just ask all the schools that haven’t done it.
Seriously though, some of these self-loathing takes disguised as “keeping it real”, are borderline ridiculous. JMHO

Last edited:
You played at north country? Wow small world
Was more on the team than played. Career high 10 points against Paul Smiths, though! Lol

What’s your connection?

Was more on the team than played. Career high 10 points against Paul Smiths, though! Lol

What’s your connection?

What’s your connection?
That’s my hometown. Don’t run into many people that know about Saranac Lake let alone North Country lol

Syracuse hasn’t had a job opening in 45 years. We don’t know who might lose their coach to us. There’s no precedent.

We’ll see what happens. It would seem to be a highly sought after job for a lot of basketball coaches.
Might have been 10 years, ago, but see nothing that would attract a big time coach since we joined the ACC, we have become an also ran in a Southern conference.

Might have been 10 years, ago, but see nothing that would attract a big time coach since we joined the ACC, we have become an also ran in a Southern conference.

Still have great facilities, tradition, fanbase, pretty good recruiting location reasonably close to a lot of b-ball hotbeds, and in what’s traditionally a great league.

Everything is in place for a strong coach that can recruit to come and win here, IMO. We just haven’t been getting the same level talent recently, but that can be fixed IMO.

Still have great facilities, tradition, fanbase, pretty good recruiting location reasonably close to a lot of b-ball hotbeds, and in what’s traditionally a great league.

Everything is in place for a strong coach that can recruit to come and win here, IMO. We just haven’t been getting the same level talent recently, but that can be fixed IMO.
Agree. I'm not exactly ready to throw up my hands and say we'll never do well in the ACC without seeing what a shakeup of some things will do. The southern conference analysis seems a bit simplistic to me.

I played junior college ball in Saranac Lake with kids from Miami/Baltimore/Atlanta. Part of the recruiting pitch was that its so cold and snowy you have nothing to do but work on your game for five months of the school year.

Obviously not comparing Syracuse to D3 juco hoops but if the coaches and basketball situation are enticing, it doesn't really matter where the school is to a good chunk of kids. The winters up here definitely does the opposite to our attendance than it does to schools in Miami or LA, too.
Second only to International Falls, MN in the lower 48.

We're a cute story every few years in March after being the punchline to jokes about living on the bubble.
The basketball world has changed and there are so many more good players out there. We have been more than spoiled to have a program which hasn’t had a team finish under .500 in over 50 years. Please explain to me why we are so special? Too many “fans” on here sound like petulant children who feel entitled, ugh!!!!

Last edited:
The basketball world has changed and there are so many more good players out there. We have been more than spoiled to have a program which hasn’t had a tem finish under .500 in over 50 years. Please explain to me why we are so special? Too many “fans” on here sound like petulant children who feel entitled, ugh!!!!
The standards have been set high and we want to win.

The other side of your point is, very few college basketball programs receive the level of fan support that Syracuse does. Maybe Kentucky, UNC, Duke, Kansas, Louisville, Indiana, Arizona, Michigan State? Maybe a couple more I’m forgetting?

SU was #1 in attendance in 2018-19 and 2019-20. We're also in a P5 league with lots of TV exposure. That means great revenue. Money talks.

The basketball world has changed and there are so many more good players out there. We have been more than spoiled to have a program which hasn’t had a team finish under .500 in over 50 years. Please explain to me why we are so special? Too many “fans” on here sound like petulant children who feel entitled, ugh!!!!
I remember in the 1970’s how exciting it was to make the 32 team field which made it to the ncaa tournament. We did it from ‘73 to ‘80 which was quite a feat for an ECAC team and to boot, we made noise in ‘75 making it the final 4 in San Diego.

Lots of teams have revenue…..and all programs have tv exposure.
My post was in response to the poster who said that he saw nothing that would attract a big time coach to SU after Boeheim leaves. My point is that SU has big time revenue as well as the other attributes that OrangeDW and others pointed out. Sure, other teams have "revenue," but SU has some significant advantages. For example, SU outdrew North Carolina (#3 in attendance) by over 100,000 fans in 2018-19. And btw, SU outdrew Geneseo, which averaged 226 fans per game, by 387,734.

Last edited:
My post was in response to the poster who said that he saw nothing that would attract a big time coach to SU after Boeheim leaves. My point is that SU has big time revenue as well as the other attributes that OrangeDW and others pointed out. Sure, other teams have "revenue," but SU has some significant advantages. For example, SU outdrew North Carolina (#3 in attendance) by over 100,000 fans in 2019-20. And btw, SU outdrew Geneseo, which averaged 226 fans per game, by 387,734.
Our sad attendance figures were due to our drinking problems and our being unable to push ourselves away from the bar in order to attend their games…..

RF I think you are missing the point to some degree. I am in the camp that the next HC will be an alum. Does that artificially limit the candidate pool to some options that would not win out in a national search: sure it does. But the point above is absolutely right, JB casts a very big shadow over this program and will even after he is retired and even after he passes. Wildhack cannot ignore that, what do boosters value in terms of loyalty? How would JB react to someone other than “his guys” getting the reigns even when he makes a different recommendation? You know he ain’t moving to Del Boca Vista Phase II when he retires. He, and his best friend the richest guy in upstate NY (apparently) aren’t going any place.

If you’re Wildhack, you know there is risk going from a HOF coach to anyone new (that you can afford). So why take that risk and ALSO potentially drive a gigantic wedge between the alumni, former players, legendary coach, boosters, and existing staff? He’s in a tough spot, with little chance of a perfect solution presenting itself.

That is why I believe he will take the calculated risk and hire an alum. And given that, I’d take Hopkins first. Although I have to feel that Autry is the prohibitive favorite. I don’t see it being Gerry, it’s just not a tenable answer at this time.
Great post. Jw actually has a very easy and simple choice. Hop Red or Gmac. Those are the only options unless he is insane. You dont crap on Jims floor after 50 years when jim is and has been all about loyalty. Seriously. Short of another scandal JW is 100% keeping this in the family as he should.

Nobody has ever said he was going to name his replacement. That’s just another board talking point for some so that they can complain.
Do you think he will tell JW who he thinks the next coach should be?

Do you think JB would be ok with JW hiring an outsider?

JB decided he wouldn't retire, he will probably get his choice for who replaces him as well.
The program has been on a downward track for a few years. We are not going to get someone from outside to come in and suddenly get back to being a top 10 team again.
We are in a Southern League, where North Carolina, Duke and now Virginia rule. We might never get back to being consistently top 10 again.
This is not that attractive job as it was about 10 years ago.
Baloney. We are in the best recruiting region in the country. SU is a top 10 job

Yeah, cause it’s always “cute” to make Sweet 16 & Final 4 runs, just ask all the schools that haven’t done it.
Seriously though, some of these self-loathing takes disguised as “keeping it real”, are borderline ridiculous. JMHO

And boringly repetitive. How many times do we have to hear “how far the program has fallen as long as you ignore major accomplishments.” Yeah we get it, it’s been a struggle in the regular season, nobody has missed that even if we still think it means something to win NCAA tournament games. You don’t need to mention it in every single thread.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom