Mike Hopkins and UW | Page 72 | Syracusefan.com

Mike Hopkins and UW

What are you passing on? A proven recruiter AND developer? Someone who knows how to build a program and can help Red get the culture of the team right?
I hate that you've put me in the position to slam Hop like this, but I can't let your comment just slide by. What about this indicates Hop knows how to build a program?

I actually think this would be a very Wildhack move to stabilize the program. If we made him a top paid assistant in the country I could see it (especially if it coincides with Gerry leaving for a HC job or Griffin (please get rid of him this offseason) or Straughn exiting stage left)
Say you're an AD, what's your case for hiring GMac as head coach?

Can Kempnang get another year from the NCAA? UW is a pretty old team not sure who we can pick off in the portal.

What are you passing on? A proven recruiter AND developer? Someone who knows how to build a program and can help Red get the culture of the team right?

I wanted Mike to get the job seven or whatever years ago. Think it would've solved a lot of problems.

But that ship has sailed, lots of time elapsed, gotta assume his leads are mostly cold now.

Hop knows how to build a program? Based on what?

Why are you begging to get rid of Griffin? Or a proven recruiter like Straughn?
what has Alan griffin done for Cuse? Look at Bernie Fine’s records with big men compared to him. Straughn id try to keep for DMV recruiting but Hop has Philly on lock and the city rocks program

I hate that you've put me in the position to slam Hop like this, but I can't let your comment just slide by. What about this indicates Hop knows how to build a program?

I was talking about the culture of his program. The players and fans love him (or at least the fans did love him early on) and play hard for him, even if the results don’t show

what has Alan griffin done for Cuse? Look at Bernie Fine’s records with big men compared to him. Straughn id try to keep for DMV recruiting but Hop has Philly on lock and the city rocks program

To compare the players that Griffin has worked with to those that Fine had seems kinda wild. Bernie had perhaps the most talented F's and C's in the history of the program. Many accuse the coaching staff of underachieving during the height of recruiting in the 80s and early 90s.

It's not top secret that Cuse hasn't recruited anywhere near that level in the last decade. I supposed you can say the 2010 and 2011 groups were the best classes in the last 15 years. This was well before 2017 when Griffin came on once Hop left.

Griff worked with Jesse and I think he got much better. I'd assume he works with Brown too but not certain. If he does that kid has gotten better as well. At the end of the day it isn't the X's and O's it is the Jimmy's and Joe's that win games. This roster was poor prior to Jesse Edwards leaving and he was the best player on it. Still think the end of next season and the 25-26 season is when you can start to have a feel for what type of coaching Cuse has. Just my opinion...

Last edited:
What has Griffin done for Cuse, you ask? You said it yourself, the development of Edwards. He’s only been an assistant since 2017, it’s not like he’s had a ton of big men to work with. If you want him gone, you should have specific reasons why.

Hop knows how to build a program because he has Philly on lock and something about City Rocks? He’s not recruiting the northeast anymore. There’s a player from Indiana on the Washington roster; that’s the closest they have to someone from back East.

What has Griffin done for Cuse, you ask? You said it yourself, the development of Edwards. He’s only been an assistant since 2017, it’s not like he’s had a ton of big men to work with. If you want him gone, you should have specific reasons why.

Hop knows how to build a program because he has Philly on lock and something about City Rocks? He’s not recruiting the northeast anymore. There’s a player from Indiana on the Washington roster; that’s the closest they have to someone from back East.
Once he comes back East he will be able to re establish those connections. Remember we would’ve had Isaiah Stewart. Missing on Bryant, Stewart, Filipowski, Clingan and others has absolutely crushed this program. We need to get back to the days of big solid centers badly

Once he comes back East he will be able to re establish those connections. Remember we would’ve had Isaiah Stewart. Missing on Bryant, Stewart, Filipowski, Clingan and others has absolutely crushed this program. We need to get back to the days of big solid centers badly

Again - Love the guy, but he was the rising star with a clear path to the throne here (or so it seemed). He'd be selling something different now.

Agree on the bigs, massive donut hole.

Love Hop and what he did here, but he hasn’t been successful at UW and bringing him back undercuts Red. It’s like a vote of no confidence. Unfair and 0% chance of happening.
I’d much rather have Seth Greenberg brought in as an assistant coach to help Red

I think Jesse and Maliq's development speak well of Griffin's ability to coach guys up as long as he has something to work with. I'd like to know more about his recruiting chops, though; I'm assuming Red did the grunt work on Freeman through his DMV connections, with maybe an assist from Straughn since he was hired about 6 weeks before Freeman committed. But I don't want to be off-base.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom