Mike Hopkins and UW | Page 75 | Syracusefan.com

Mike Hopkins and UW

He’s been there for almost a decade though.
It seemed like their biggest issue was offense the past few years only averaging 68 to 70 points a game while giving up from 78 to around 72 points to opponents depending on the year. Oddly this year, their offense is scoring a great average of 81 while their defense allowing 76.5 points/game after switching to man to man so their stats are better than the past 3 years but their record still is hovering a little better than winning half their games. After going 5-21 in 2020-2021 the improvement to 14-12 this year so far they decided isn’t enough to retain him.

I think losing Jason Hart and Tony Bland as assistants to Enfield and USC really hurt him in his staffing plans for a west coast head coaching gig when he went out there.

I'll just say he has been nothing but class here as you all probably would imagine. His early teams with Matisse Thybulle were very fun to watch.

Easy to understand the decision to make the change now for something fresh going into the B1G.
I think he'll end up on an NBA bench too.

Offense was by far a bigger problem for him. He had two McDonalds All Americans and had a losing record. They have regularly been one of the worst shooting teams in the country since he’s been there.
Sounds very familiar minus the McDonald's All Americans.

Would it be surprising Lloyd leaving Arizona? Is Washington a better job? He’s certainly done well at Arizona. Sad for Hop but not surprised.
Washington is nowhere near the program that Lute Olsen built at Arizona. They were the first legit perennial program to be considered Best in the West after UCLA.
It'd be shocking if he left UofA to go to UW.

Lloyd is from Washington.
I stand corrected

Ill Be Back Jim Carrey GIF

I think Hop should go the TV/analyst route, I think he'd be great at it.
How about Hop & JB together in the ACCN studio show. Could be hilarious. I also wouldn't be shocked if Hop got another college head coaching job & hired GMac as his #1 assistant.

If he decides to move away from coaching, what is everyone’s thoughts on him becoming our first GM? Would he be qualified?

How common is it for a basketball coaching staff to be told a month before the end of the season they won't be coming back next year?

I would think a lot of coaches would say fire me now then or would have a hard time finishing out the season. At least they don't have to waste any time recruiting or worrying about keeping their players happy for next year.

Dream scenario. We move on from Griff, Hopkins comes back as an assistant/assistant head coach. Players love GMAC and Hop. You have two stud recruiters in Straughn and Hopkins. Gmac can develop guards, that is his strength. Just have him develop players and only recruit when needed. Let Hop develop and recruit. Straughn recruit. Autry be the CEO of the operation and close out on recruits

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom