Mike Hopkins is our next coach... | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Mike Hopkins is our next coach...

Status
Not open for further replies.
If he's the next coach and he knows when he's taking over why is our recruiting suffering? He should be out there picking his guys with his message, no?

CousCuse said:
He's still at the top, pop, so why's he gotta close up shop.

Jack and Jamie both graduate HS next year. Both of them, along with Jimmy, will be playing college ball.

Nothing "tough" about it for me. I'm not anti-Hopkins, despite your asinine insinuation to the contrary.

With regards to keeping my trap shut, I'm entitled to have an opinion, so no thanks.
Asinine?

I think you don't know what the word means, based on your previous posts.

See especially definition number two, an appropriate number given said posts.

And remember all the people who claim Oh I can't be a racist cause I've got a black friend.

the definition of asinine

OK, for argument's sake, let's say Mike takes over and goes 8-23. Does he get invited back?
Of course his contract will be for several years. I'm saying how long will he keep his job if he can't produce wins? If this year we are sub-.500 and JB comes back and we are poor again, then how long does Mike get? I think he has to be a .500 coach year 1 and a 20 win coach year 2.
I think I know what you look like in real life, Matt.

Joe Btfsplk: Oh Vowels, Where Art Thou?

Asinine?

I think you don't know what the word means, based on your previous posts.

See especially definition number two, an appropriate number given said posts.

And remember all the people who claim Oh I can't be a racist cause I've got a black friend.

the definition of asinine

Yes, I know what it means, and yes--your response was the epitome of asinine.

Take your indignation elsewhere. And work on your reading comprehension. Maybe then, your next temper tantrum might actually be appropriately on target.

Last edited:
Yes, I know what it means, and yes--your response was the epitome of asinine.

Take your indignation elsewhere. And work on your reading comprehension. Maybe then, your next temper tantrum might actually be appropriately on target.
dammit, I wanted to make a joke about how I love whenever a poster can make RF act indignant. but he already used that word hammering the other guy, so that would just seem stupid if I make a post using that word.

foiled again.

dammit, I wanted to make a joke about how I love whenever a poster can make RF act indignant. but he already used that word hammering the other guy, so that would just seem stupid if I make a post using that word.

foiled again.

Here's what is stupid--the OP said that there would be a PR debacle if we didn't hire Hopkins, which would prevent other top candidates from considering coming here. That's what I disagreed with. I also expressed the opinion that my preference would be to chase a big name coach, but that I'd support Hop 100% if he got the job. Never claimed that Hop wouldn't get the job, or that our new AD should go a different direction. I don't apologize for being concerned that turning the program over to someone who is an unproven commodity is a risk which hasn't worked out well for other programs in comparable situations. Expressing that concern isn't a slight against Hopkins.

That guy is barking up the wrong tree, or inferring things that weren't implied. Or both. Either way--it was an asinine reaction.

Last edited:
Setting a date to retire is creating a lot of unintended consequences and stress. It's not the same as retiring as the president of a bank or the principal of a school. For one thing, he knows he doesn't have much more time to coach and it makes him more and more impatient and outright mean.
Outright mean? What press conferences have you been watching? I didn't see yesterday's but before that he seemed resigned.

Like maybe he watches the kids at practice and sees them give great effort and hey, just can't get it done on the real floor.

ArizonaWildcats.com | University of Arizona Athletics
GoDucks.com | The University of Oregon Official Athletics
Home run type of hires for Hop if he can get either one. The Oregon cat is more of a realistic get imo.
Sorry Francis. If I'm not leaving AZ to move to Syracuse (and trust me the thought comes up often) no one is. I have lived here for 6 years, the snow is behind me, and no one loves Syracuse and Syracuse sports more than I do. I own season tickets in 2 sports that I can't even use. I think about moving to Syracuse all of the time. My dream retirement would be floor seats in the Dome. So let's forget the guy at U of A, and focus on the Oregon guy, lol.
Realize this post is somewhat of a joke. But selling Syracuse over Tucson would be a hard sell.

Sorry Francis. If I'm not leaving AZ to move to Syracuse (and trust me the thought comes up often) no one is. I have lived here for 6 years, the snow is behind me, and no one loves Syracuse and Syracuse sports more than I do. I own season tickets in 2 sports that I can't even use. I think about moving to Syracuse all of the time. My dream retirement would be floor seats in the Dome. So let's forget the guy at U of A, and focus on the Oregon guy, lol.
Realize this post is somewhat of a joke. But selling Syracuse over Tucson would be a hard sell.
No disagreement here haha. The only reason why Book is a good suggestion is because he's from the Bronx and spends most of his time on the recruiting trail out in the east coast. He has it good at Zona, so it'll definitely be a tough sell to get him to leave.

Outright mean? What press conferences have you been watching? I didn't see yesterday's but before that he seemed resigned.

Like maybe he watches the kids at practice and sees them give great effort and hey, just can't get it done on the real floor.

Or you have no clue what's going on and spew drivel at a 12 year olds level thinking your shaking some pom poms when really you're just attacking people who love this team.

Here's what is stupid--the OP said that there would be a PR debacle if we didn't hire Hopkins, which would prevent other top candidates from considering coming here. That's what I disagreed with. I also expressed the opinion that my preference would be to chase a big name coach, but that I'd support Hop 100% if he got the job. Never claimed that Hop wouldn't get the job, or that our new AD should go a different direction. I don't apologize for being concerned that turning the program over to someone who is an unproven commodity is a risk which hasn't worked out well for other programs in comparable situations. Expressing that concern isn't a slight against Hopkins.

That guy is barking up the wrong tree, or inferring things that weren't implied. Or both. Either way--it was an asinine reaction.
Look at your statement above: "...I'd support Hop 100% if he got the job."

Hop HAS the job, as of January 2015 when the announcement was made by the SUAD.

Syracuse officials announce that Mike Hopkins will succeed Jim Boeheim in 3 years

Perhaps I missed the press conference where Hop had the title taken away by the SUAD. Could you please provide the link to that RF2044?

Because otherwise what you are doing here is the polar opposite of "support"ing Hop more than a year before he actually starts his first season as HC of SU.

THAT is what is asinine.

If Jim Boeheim is ever coach for any university besides Syracuse University, I'll eat my shorts. I think he loves this school and loves this town and it wouldn't be the same at another place for him. Plus the whole age thing. Just my opinion.
He said somewhere he wants to coach I think women's volleyball. I think women's golf might actually be a better choice because he is quite good at golf.

I can totally understand JB wanting to coach women in a different sport. It's dealing with a different psyche.

Understand your concerns about Hop from a coaching standpoint, but in my personal interactions with him in my life at the Orange basketball camp and just around town he certainly has an Alpha Dog personality. He is very much a leader. That's not going to be a problem.
He's also been extremely gracious the times I've met him, including in Maui where very coincidentally we had rooms next to each other.

love sedona and northern az---can only take scottsdale for 2 wks. get sick of looking at brown mountains and sand every day. just my personal preference. never could appreciate the "beauty" of the desert. i am very much in the minority though. i am thankful that bethlehem pa doesn't much snow at all, and is a pretty forward thinking town.

I am questioning it. A plan is just a plan. I love how a couple of you take this as gospel. You mean to tell me that Wildhack isn't going to explore other options or send some feelers out there?! Impossible, IMO.

Why are you questioning the plan? The school is behind Hopkins. They've said it publicly. And it's not just a plan that they thought up. It's a formal succession plan in writing. The school has made a formal announcement on this. And no I don't think the athletic director is putting out feelers when the school is publicly behind Hopkins. There would be no reason to do that. They have their coach already. Why are you assuming anything has changed since last year?

Last edited:
Three times I believe.

Anyway this thread was a complete failure. Didn't accomplish anything I hoped to discuss. Just more of the same Jay Wright BS. Shut it down.

It took months to hammer out Mike's contract. It's not like the school just said hey Mike stick around and perhaps you get to be the next coach.

Look at your statement above: "...I'd support Hop 100% if he got the job."

Hop HAS the job, as of January 2015 when the announcement was made by the SUAD.

Syracuse officials announce that Mike Hopkins will succeed Jim Boeheim in 3 years

Perhaps I missed the press conference where Hop had the title taken away by the SUAD. Could you please provide the link to that RF2044?

Because otherwise what you are doing here is the polar opposite of "support"ing Hop more than a year before he actually starts his first season as HC of SU.

THAT is what is asinine.

Good lord -- I'm not going to be told what I can post by someone on a crusade who fancies themself the thought police--especially one who has such a poor grasp of what was even being discussed earlier in this thread. Since you still seem confused about my perspective, let me summarize it for you.

I don't have to provide a link to ANYTHING, because I never said that Hop had the tittle taken away by the SUAD. I never said he did, would, or should have it taken away. Instead, I was engaging the OP in a discussion about what the brand / reputational impacts would be for our program IF the new AD decided to go in a different direction. I also acknowledged the possibility that since we have a new AD, who came in after the announcement was made in January 2015, deals brokered by the former AD might not be ironclad. I personally have no idea what Wildhack will do, nor did I recommend a direction for him. I merely expressed an opinion that our program, which is one of the top 10 jobs in college basketball, would attract elite caliber candidates if the search did hypothetically open up.

Which you would get if you had any semblance of reading comprehension, NYCUGrad. Context matters, which is why you continue to bark up the wrong tree with your misguided investigative reporting. Go shout somebody else down.

Last edited:
Three times I believe.

Anyway this thread was a complete failure. Didn't accomplish anything I hoped to discuss. Just more of the same Jay Wright BS. Shut it down.

Agreed. A solid, civil discussion took a turn for the worse. Sorry that I even get involved.

Agreed. A solid, civil discussion took a turn for the worse. Sorry that I even get involved.

It's all good. It was worth a try. Maybe if we go on a winning streak it will be worth bringing up again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom