Mike Hopkins one of two to interview for USC job | Syracusefan.com

Mike Hopkins one of two to interview for USC job

Orangeyes

R.I.P Dan
20130112_kdl_ai8_018.0_standard_730.0.jpg

What would it mean to Syracuse basketball if Mike left the program? Who would be the next possible candidate to take over the program? Hopkins was very candid in a recent interview about the fact that he has looked closely at two other opportunities in the recent past.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/college/usc/la-sp-0305-usc-tim-floyd-20130305,0,813960.story

http://www.nunesmagician.com/2013/3...ead-coaching-job-search-syracuse-mike-hopkins

I know that Tim Floyd is not our focus of this subject, but how do you even consider bringing back Tim Floyd if you're USC?

Let the speculation begin

1) JAB will be here another 10 years
2) Hop has heard all of these so called rumors and wants a fresh start back home
3) Hop signs a five year deal and will come back to the Cuse when JB retires.
4) Opens the door at the Cuse for another young stud: Shaka Smart, Brad Stevens, Anthony Grant to take over when JAB does retire.

This would obviously suck but it's not exactly like we would struggle to find someone when JB retires. Syracuse is one of the top 10 gigs in the country.

I know that Tim Floyd is not our focus of this subject, but how do you even consider bringing back Tim Floyd if you're USC?
Perhaps nobody else wants to coach there?

This would obviously suck but it's not exactly like we would struggle to find someone when JB retires. Syracuse is one of the top 10 gigs in the country.
You think? Syracuse is cheap as hell when it comes to paying salaries. Shaka Smart, Steve Alford, and Mark Few, for example, already make nearly what Boeheim does. And Anthony Grant makes more than Boeheim.

I'd like to think that there would be hotshot young coaching talent lining up for a crack at the SU job, but I guess it remains to be seen.

Let the speculation begin

1) JAB will be here another 10 years
2) Hop has heard all of these so called rumors and wants a fresh start back home
3) Hop signs a five year deal and will come back to the Cuse when JB retires.
4) Opens the door at the Cuse for another young stud: Shaka Smart, Brad Stevens, Anthony Grant to take over when JAB does retire.

1) Methinks Boeheim's days are numbered and he'll be leaving much sooner than any of us think or would like. Too much aggravation and just way too many rumors and whispers of wrongdoing, dissension and violations lately.
2) The rumor that Hopkins has personal reasons to want to back home to be close to his family are kind of getting validated with this USC story.
3) If those Hopkins rumors are true - that he wants to go home - then there's no reason for him to ever come back.
4) It would be nice if SU could lure a Shaka or a Stevens but I think both of those guys are happy where they are, building what they believe to be powerhouse programs.

If SU is going to be in the coaching hunt, then Doc Gross is going to be paying close attention to this year's tourney and see who the new hot young studs are that nobody knows about yet and try to get them on the cheap.

You think? Syracuse is cheap as hell when it comes to paying salaries. Shaka Smart, Steve Alford, and Mark Few, for example, already make nearly what Boeheim does. And Anthony Grant makes more than Boeheim.

I'd like to think that there would be hotshot young coaching talent lining up for a crack at the SU job, but I guess it remains to be seen.

Good point about the salary; I was referring more to the program being one of the better ones but the low relative salary could be an issue.:noidea:

I am glad I am not the only one who thought this. I mean its like Indiana rehiring Kelvin Sampson. Just strange.

Do you know that? You know what JB's salary is, but do you know what Mike Hopkins or the other assistants make? Maybe JB's salary is low because he'd rather have that money go to good assistants. Wasn't there something several years ago saying that Mike Hopkins was one of the highest paid assistant coaches in the country or something like that?

I am glad I am not the only one who thought this. I mean its like Indiana rehiring Kelvin Sampson. Just strange.
Totally agree. I don't see USC rehiring him. Isn't Haden the AD who fired him? My gut tells me this is a plant by Floyd or his agent to get his name back out there as a viable option for other jobs. Chances are Hopkins is their primary target. Floyd's meeting with USC was probably a courtesy interview.

1) Methinks Boeheim's days are numbered and he'll be leaving much sooner than any of us think or would like. Too much aggravation and just way too many rumors and whispers of wrongdoing, dissension and violations lately.
2) The rumor that Hopkins has personal reasons to want to back home to be close to his family are kind of getting validated with this USC story.
3) If those Hopkins rumors are true - that he wants to go home - then there's no reason for him to ever come back.
4) It would be nice if SU could lure a Shaka or a Stevens but I think both of those guys are happy where they are, building what they believe to be powerhouse programs.

If SU is going to be in the coaching hunt, then Doc Gross is going to be paying close attention to this year's tourney and see who the new hot young studs are that nobody knows about yet and try to get them on the cheap.

im sorry but this is not cuse football.

You don't hire the 30 year old coach of North South Montana State to replace Jim Boeheim just because of a hot streak in a tournament.

Do you know that? You know what JB's salary is, but do you know what Mike Hopkins or the other assistants make? Maybe JB's salary is low because he'd rather have that money go to good assistants. Wasn't there something several years ago saying that Mike Hopkins was one of the highest paid assistant coaches in the country or something like that?
I only know what is publically available. SU is a private institution and are not required to make financial matters public. What is publically available is that Boeheim is the 24-28th highest paid men's basketball coach and he's an SU mainstay. Scott Shafer is a rookie HC is reportedly making 1.3 mil and he's 71st in base compensation. Anything else is speculation.

You don't hire the 30 year old coach of North South Montana State to replace Jim Boeheim just because of a hot streak in a tournament.

No doubt. The line that would be forming to want to coach here would extend around the outside of the building. It would not be an up and comer.

We would have coaches sleeping outside the Dome for the Syracuse job. The only jobs that are absolutely better are UNC, Kentucky and Kansas. Prime recruiting withing 5 hours of campus. The biggest stadium. A huge travelling fan base. Prime coverage on ESPN. Some of the best training facilities in the country.

I was scared that I would see this coming one day.

Good point about the salary; I was referring more to the program being one of the better ones but the low relative salary could be an issue.:noidea:

They better not be cheap on salary for the next head coach. If Hop is out I say TGD should do whatever it takes to get a A list HC.

i think the chances of hop leaving would be greater when ben howland loses his job if not this year by next!

good for him- he deserves a shot -and if he thinks this is the place im a happy camper for him

Yep, if it's not Hop (or GMAC in 4-5 years) they HAVE to get a proven, big name coach.

Maybe Jim has no plans on leaving just yet. I like that rumor better than this mysterious violations nonsense.