Mike Hopkins one of two to interview for USC job | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Mike Hopkins one of two to interview for USC job

Stevens would be my first choice. Scott Drew is the last dude on the planet that I would want. Dirty recruiter, mediocre game coach.

To the people that think the Creans and Selfs of the world would be lining up to come to Syracuse, think again. We would be very attractive to the next tier of coaches though. Mark Few would be awesome. I like Painter at Purdue as well.

I didn't read anybody say those types would be lining up to come to syracuse. Those guys would surely listen to offers from Syracuse though. why wouldn't they.

Syracuse is an elite program right there with Kansas or Indiana.

I like Wright. Great game day coach. Recruiting could improve but with Syracuse assets, I think it definitely could. Especially the way he plays. Players love it.

You don't see a reason for Brad Stevens to leave a school like Butler? You WAY underestimate the pull of Syracuse University basketball. For the record, his style of ball bores the pants off me. Pass.

And if we were willing to pay Billy D (which I doubt), I think he could be lured away from a football school to go to a bball school. Not to mention to get out of the shadow of Big Blue. Can you imagine him recruiting to the Dome?

If we wanted to open up the checkbook, we could have anybody we wanted save about 5 or 6 coaches.

So Billy moves from the SEC to get away from UK so that he can get together with NC, Duke and Louisville. Yeah, makes sense to me. They love him in Gainesville and he loves it too. Maybe he makes a move to the NBA, but I don't see him going to any other college.

I didn't read anybody say those types would be lining up to come to syracuse. Those guys would surely listen to offers from Syracuse though. why wouldn't they.

Not exactly. KU and Indiana are in the legendary bracket.

BTW, Parrish also says that Pastner has had indirect contact with the USC people as well.

In the end money talks pretty much above all else, but as I've said before, I don't see Crean, Self, or Donovan being a possibility. Donovan turned down $27.5 million over 5 years to coach in the NBA; he's going to leave Florida to come here for a lot less?

No, they wouldn't listen to offers. Those are blue blood jobs, and those coaches are making BIG money. Syracuse is on the next tier. No shame in it.

Forget pastner, personally I want nothing to do with the calipari coaching tree.

If not Hopkins, which it could be even if he took this job, I think mark few is a great option. He's got a relationship with JB, and you can't argue with his results.

Also, I have to say I think SU is a much better job than UCLA at this point. They have no fan base at all. Howland went to 3 straight final fours, and they still want his head. They have an impossible standard to reach at UCLA, it's not worth the headaches.

Forget pastner, personally I want nothing to do with the calipari coaching tree.

If not Hopkins, which it could be even if he took this job, I think mark few is a great option. He's got a relationship with JB, and you can't argue with his results.

Also, I have to say I think SU is a much better job than UCLA at this point. They have no fan base at all. Howland went to 3 straight final fours, and they still want his head. They have an impossible standard to reach at UCLA, it's not worth the headaches.
Has there been any indication at all that Few wants to leave Gonzaga? I mean he was born in Oregon, he went to Oregon, and he's only been an assistant at Gonzaga. At this point Mark Few and Gonzaga are synonymous. He's an absolute legend there.

Reading this thread all the way through, I feel like JB has retired with everyone discussing new HEAD COACHES!

If JB was going to retire this year, Hopkins would stay. If he leaves, then there are so many coaching candidates that talking about it now makes zero sense b/c JB will be coaching for another couple of years.

That may be true (but you might also say the same thing, to a lesser extent, about whoever replaces JB), but (according to a random website I found, which I'm sure is true) Howland is one of the 10 highest paid coaches in college hoops, and I'm fairly certain there will be no shortage of coaches who want that job when its open.

Well, not exactly. It wasn't Boeheim who led us to those NIT's in 1970-72, or the 1975 Final Four. Fred Lewis had that teams with JB and Bing that made a regional final. Back in the 50s we made another regional final. We had a poor spell once in the last 50 years. There's a reason we are in the top 5 or 6 all time among most wins for a program. We have never really sucked for more than a few years at a time.
Yes, but. . .before JB became head coach, SU had 930 wins all time. We know that they have had 912 since he took the reins. Now, certainly, modern schedules, especially over the past 20 years or so, give coaches the opportunity to put up big numbers. Still, closing in on having more wins than all other SU coaches combined is quite a feat.

We were a regional program. Now, thanks to JB/BE (ESPN?)/Dome, we are a national one.

Whoever gets the UCLA job needs Walton's blessing. :rolleyes:

As much as I'm a huge Orange fan, we are a couple national titles short of saying we are "right there" with Kansas or Indiana as a program.

I guess I don't get this "go home to family" angle with Hopkins. Hasn't he basically been in Syracuse since like 1988? He's lived here longer than he lived in Cali. I would think Syracuse is home by now.

I guess I don't get this "go home to family" angle with Hopkins. Hasn't he basically been in Syracuse since like 1988? He's lived here longer than he lived in Cali. I would think Syracuse is home by now.

I dunno, does his family still live out there?

I haven't lived with my parents for a while but I still consider going to their place to be going home.

Has anyone mentioned Sean Miller. I think his name needs to be right up there.

You don't see a reason for Brad Stevens to leave a school like Butler? You WAY underestimate the pull of Syracuse University basketball. For the record, his style of ball bores the pants off me. Pass.

Well, you and I can agree to disagree, but I think that you are WAY overestimating the pull if Syracuse basketball.

Hop showing interest in USC as leverage?
He doesn't need leverage. He's got JB's job whenever the big man decides to step aside. He will certainly be well compensated in that postion (as, by all accounts, he is right now as an assistant). I think it's a matter of whether he wants to have his own team right now and/or "go home" to coach.