Mike Waters to be on WFAN with Mike F 3:00 | Syracusefan.com

Mike Waters to be on WFAN with Mike F 3:00

Waters coming up next. Francesca completely annhilating ESPN. I mean skewering, scorched earth type stuff. Defends JB but understands people who think he should be fired.

Some quotes, definitely somewhat paraphrased here and there

Re Tape
- "If you listen to the whole tape, while it sounds salacious, and Laurie talks about 'thinking this' and 'suspecting that,' she is never a witness to it. She never personally sees it."
- "If you listen to the entire conversation, ... she never denies anything, which of course doesn't sound good now ..."

Re Boeheim's knowledge
- "I don't think ... our reporters ever got to the point in their investigation where they had enough to go sit down with them. Now, that's not to say he didn't know. As you said earlier in this conversation, this is a small town. It would be shocking if it didn't get back to him somehow."

Frack, I have actual work to be doing here.

Mike Waters doing his best to defend 3rd accuser and implicating Boeheim possibly "Its a small town and reporters start sniffing around". Francesca dismissing 3rd accuser. They both question Lang.

Post Standard told Boeheim everything they knew Friday.

Waters defends Davis when Davis says he thought PD wasnt into investigation.

Mike Waters doing his best to defend 3rd accuser and implicating Boeheim possibly "Its a small town and reporters start sniffing around". Francesca dismissing 3rd accuser. They both question Lang.

Post Standard told Boeheim everything they knew Friday.

Waters defends Davis when Davis says he thought PD wasnt into investigation.
Waters is starting to make some pretty serious accusations. SU didnt investigate other potential victims. I hope I misheard that or misunderstood it.

During interrogation of Tomaselli over his sexual assault case in Maine, he reveals Bernie Fine allegation...wow. Didnt know that. Francesca completely dismisses Tomaselli as not credible.

Mike Waters does not know of anything recovered by police in raid. Has not heard of anything substantial they recovered.

Re investigation
Francesca - So [Davis?] didn't feel their heart was in the whole investigation?
Waters - Well I think he might be right. There are people who's names he gave to the university in 05 who they never talked to.

Francesca - "So you guys talked to Lang in 2002? And he lied to you?"
Waters - "Well, he either lied then or he's lying now."

Waters - "Last Friday, Secret Service agents conducted a search of Bernie Fine's house ... They were there because of the third accuser. He's only 23 years old, and he's within the SOL. Whether he's lying or not the police now have a sworn statement, which gives the police the authority to go search the house."
Francesca - "My understanding from what I"ve read is that the third accuser has been arrested for child abuse, and during the investigation of him last week he brought up Bernie Fine."

Francesca - "Does it mean anything that they took stuff from his house, or is that standard procedure?
Waters - "Well it's standard procedure I think. But we've been hearing they were searching for specific items. We don't know what. Whether photos, stuff on a computer, bill, hotel receipt, we don't know what. They were out in back, moving patio furniture. The thought was they were looking for something that was buried. When we heard that, our eyes opened up wide. Who knows what they're digging up"

During interrogation of Tomaselli over his sexual assault case in Maine, he reveals Bernie Fine allegation...wow. Didnt know that. Francesca completely dismisses Tomaselli as not credible.
Seems that his entire credibility right now rests on the fact that he gave a sworn affidavit (which is pretty meaningless).

"Boeheim and Fine are not best buddies, the families dont go out to dinner, they dont play golf together." -Waters

The wonderful fake Mike Francesa twitter account:

MikeFrancesaNY Mike Francesa

ESPN is takin bows fa dis Syracuse tape. But dey did nothin with it fa ten yeahs! A bunch of hypocrites ovah dere at da "Worldwide Leadah"

Francesca - How would you describe the Boeheim-Fine relationship
Waters - You know, they're not best buddies. They're not golfing pals. Bernie's a tennis player. I don't think the families go out to dinner together. You know Jim well enough. He's not an outgoing personality. Can be [ly at times.] It's not like Dean Smith and Bill Guthridge who loved each other at NC. On road trips, we'd see the team come through the airport and the whole team would be at Gate 8, and Jim would be over at gate 9 reading a book by himself. Jim doesn't go into anybody else's room. If he happens to need them, they come to his room. If we're getting to the question could this have been going on without Jim knowing, I think the answer is, yeah it could have been. He's so focused on basketball and uninterestd in outside relationships, that, yeah, I could see it happening wihtout him knowing.

MW gives very good testimony to how Jim would have no clue. "Entire team could be at Gate 8 and Jim would be a Gate 9 reading a book" "Jim NEVER would go into another persons room on the road, if he needed someone, they came to his room" MW understand why Jim responded the way he did.

Waters: what JB did "is not grounds for firing."

the "thousand lies" bit
Francesca - were you taken aback by his over the top defense?
Waters - Knowing what I knew, I winced a little bit. Knowing Jim the way I do, I totally got it. He's quick to speak his mind and he won't back away from a challenge, especially a challenge to his program. And he will come quickly to the defense of any of his coahces or players. He's a fiercely loyal guy.

Francesca - Like Paterno, do you think Boeheim will be fired?
Waters - No, honestly, i think BoT will understand. It was a kneejerk reaction spoken in the heat of the moment. And he immediately started walking it back within a day or two. And of course his statement last night ... he totally understands and gets what he did was wrong. I don't think a guy going a little overboard in defending a guy he's known for 50 years is grounds forfiring.

Francesca - Do you think there's any coverup here? Newspaper? DA/Police? School? Athletics Dept?
Waters - In 2002-2003 ESPN and US just couldn't get it. The university had nothing to do with that. Now, there are some questions surrounding the U's investigation. How hard did you look? And they've just hired outside counsel to review how good that investigation was. ... I don't think anyone exerted any authority in this case [to spike investigation]. We certainly don't have what we had at Penn State

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom