More changes | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

More changes

Dino just started following beloved, long time Texas SID John Bianco. Maybe he's eyeing him for one of these roles?

So...there's a position opening up in Austin?

From what I understand, the S&C coach is one of the main contacts for the players in periods where coaches need to limit their interface with student athletes. So on top of a guy that can physically train the players in the methods that complement Dino's style, this coach will be the key person to define the program's culture for the players in the offseason. Babers needs that extension to make this culture change as quickly as possible. Good that Hicks can stay in the university (to keep the alumni connection), but Babers should have ALL say in this matter, without meddling. I saw a few of the NFL players tweet support for Hicks, hopefully they don't start meddling. We don't need the "Cuse" house divided. Let the man do his thing.

I will say this I didn't know Hicks has been around 15 years. Our teams from 2005-2008 were out of shape under Greg Robinson. I vividly remember Doug Marrone talking about how out if shape several OL were and the new methods to get them in better condition.

The 2012 OL are standing by him but I support Babers decision.
Not sure why you would say this...
All orange unis.jpg

orange79 said:
Not sure why you would say this...

Worst unis ever. But most of our OL always look like that. You don't get to 300+ without a gut unless you're 6'6+.

Feel bad for Robinson but Dino gets to bring in his guy.
After all of our injuries in football a new S&C coach sounds appealing.

This, exactly. With the amount of injuries we've had over the last couple of years, nobody can convince me that S&C wasn't at least part of it.

Worst unis ever. But most of our OL always look like that. You don't get to 300+ without a gut unless you're 6'6+.
I know. But I couldn't resist :D

Status Quo wasn't working, time to blow it up. Love these moves Babers is making

Agreed. Time to turn the page and get some fresh blood and fresh perspectives into the program.

Many of the injuries were head related which were diagnosed by GP. Hopefully this changes also.

My only issue with the injury diagnoses were that it sounded like the players are not allowed to get a second opinion. I really, really don't agree with that. I'm not sure if that is an NCAA restriction or something but no one is infallible.

My only issue with the injury diagnoses were that it sounded like the players are not allowed to get a second opinion. I really, really don't agree with that. I'm not sure if that is an NCAA restriction or something but no one is infallible.
How could the NCAA or anybody else stop someone from getting a second opinion? I understand the university does not have to pay for it, but who cares?

Babers just got the biggest job of his life in his 50s (and probably his last stop) based a lot on what he has done in the past 4 or 5 years. He would be stupid not to surround himself with any and everyone that he feels got him here. He's not going to keep anyone around because they have former players waxing poetically for them or because somebody has pulled a couple of recruits out of NJ.

People act like SU is killing it in NJ when they are still pulling the second tier (not bad players just not the top 20 in NJ) guys that Babers should be able to pull himself (especially on offense). I have a feeling Babers will be the best recruiting HC SU has had based on personality and style and I trust he surrounds himself with similar people. There are not a lot of recruits left to pull for this year anyway so by the time the next cycle starts Babers will have had a year to showcase his direction for the program.

You cannot want change and they question change even when it is non-on-the-field positions like Brotski held. Bob was the first guy I met at SU and a great person but this is a business and nothing less.
Totally agree!

How could the NCAA or anybody else stop someone from getting a second opinion? I understand the university does not have to pay for it, but who cares?

Yeah I mean I could care less if the university wants to use a GP, as long as the student has the ability to get a reputable second opinion on their own dime that can clear them.

Snee and a bunch of NFLers routinely do it at BC...

Considering Babers' comments about employing a unique strength & conditioning program, and the fact that SU players were gassed many times last season, I would have been shocked if Hicks stayed on in his role. It sounds to me like Babers' up-tempo system has less emphasis on strength and more about conditioning.

KaiserUEO said:
Snee and a bunch of NFLers routinely do it at BC...

Those NFL guys are typically tall. We usually have lineman in the 6'2 range. And I just looked at several photos of Giants OL. Not as big but most had a gut. And NFL guys have longer trained and better nutritional access. It's difficult to take a 6'2 6'3 college kid and take him to 300 and keep a flat stomach.

Those NFL guys are typically tall. We usually have lineman in the 6'2 range. And I just looked at several photos of Giants OL. Not as big but most had a gut. And NFL guys have longer trained and better nutritional access. It's difficult to take a 6'2 6'3 college kid and take him to 300 and keep a flat stomach.
Remember Nick Romeo, wasn't he like 6' 290. Florida state lifting champion.

Understood, but there's a difference between a well trained gut...and fat rolls.

Greatest example ever is, the late great Reggie White.

Big gut, yet fast and a MONSTER.