More terrible coaching | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

More terrible coaching

I don’t see buddy coming back here.
The kid if he wants to grad transfer could probably go anywhere but I think he will want to go get paid to play basketball. Plus honestly if he comes back JB is basically going to stunt the development of our future.

We aren’t going to relevant if Buddy comes back next year atleast giving the future a chance gives us optimism. This fanbase needs some optimism.
The current status quo doesn’t generate optimism.
it would be hilarious if buddy transferred lol

maybe seton hall or duke or kentucky???

it would be hilarious if buddy transferred lol

maybe seton hall or duke or kentucky???
If anywhere Gonzaga or Washington.

I don’t think he is playing college hoops next year.

If anywhere Gonzaga or Washington.

I don’t think he is playing college hoops next year.

A similar situation has happened before, but I agree. He won't be playing college.

I mostly agree with this as it relates to the current team.

But I think it’s wrong to say boeheim has never developed guys. There is a very long history of players who have developed into much better players over their Syracuse careers. Unfortunately that history seems to have ended around when mike Hopkins left, IMO. Jesse Edwards I think is genuinely the only guy who has made a big leap in the last five years and even there it isn’t clear whether it’s just getting the opportunity.

Oshae brissett was really good as a freshman with one obvious hole in his game, he couldn’t finish. Somehow he got worse at that as a sophomore but now two years later is good enough to score consistently in the nba.

Ten years ago I don’t think that would have happened. CJ fair for example came in as a freshman and surprised as a garbage guy who couldn’t really shoot. He shot 40 percent from three as a junior. Scoop jardines biggest contribution as a freshman involved a meal card and he developed into a very good college point guard as an upperclassman. Andy Rautins was KILLED on this board for two plus years and turned into a borderline all American as a senior.

Even jerami grant, who I think is seen as a developmental failure, indisputably added to his game between in his two years here.

More recently, rakeem Christmas and gbinje both were massively better players when they left than when they came in.
problem is...jb doesnt get 4 years with players anymore.

by senior almost all of his decent players become really good. his % on that is very very high...which i think justifies in jbs mind why he treats players how he does...if they stick with him he gets them there...he does seem to get less out of players in year 1 and 2 than a lot of other coaches though, imo

short attention span generation doesnt have time to wait 4 years anymore...and jb hasnt show he can develop a player in 1 season...but not many coaches can.

I hope he comes back. Hes a good player and with Q coming in at the 1 hes going to get more looks as that kid can get to the tin and that is what we are missing.
You think if Buddy comes back and JB is coach that Joe wouldn’t start and play 30+ at PG?

come on now.

fwiw, I see no way possible Buddy comes back.

So, is it a good thing that we lost after Jimmy played the 5 so much? I would fear this being a regular thing if the squad was able to win with that dreadful defensive lineup.

I hope he comes back. Hes a good player and with Q coming in at the 1 hes going to get more looks as that kid can get to the tin and that is what we are missing.

If he comes back, Joe will be stuck at PG and Buddy will average at least 17 FGA per game.

What we’re missing isn’t on the roster or in the recruiting class yet.

This is coach who took out GMAC!! the last possesion of the game to be sure he had Pace chasing the guy around in the championship game

And of course, Warrick at Center so he could be there to block the 3

don’t tell me he doesnt understand this concept.

He's treating this team different due to his sons being on the team. Period.
that last point is 1 of many reasons this season should be his last!

So, is it a good thing that we lost after Jimmy played the 5 so much? I would fear this being a regular thing if the squad was able to win with that dreadful defensive lineup.
The opposite will happen. He said we were fine defensively with Jimmy at the 5 and it makes us harder to guard. I wouldn’t be surprised if we saw it more unfortunately.

We are dangerously close to seeing a lineup with Buddy-Jimmy-Swider on the back line. I wish I was joking

We’re a post-outcome program now. It’s just all about how JB feels.

Honestly, mine was "Marek at the 5-spot" for the prior 2 years.
In spite of how we finished last year, I never quite understood the wisdom/logic of that move, and it took 2 full seasons before paying some dividends with a Sweet16 run.
Meanwhile we all watched as we kept getting hammered, game after game, and playing "6-men-and-a-cloud-of dust" basketball, because..."no one's ready".
In retrospect, that was my tipping point. Now I'm just waiting for the final curtain and epilogue.
What Jim did to Marek for 2 years was criminal. That kid took beating after beating as an undersized 5 and never complained, never backed down. He will go down as one of my all time favorite Cuse players.

Sorry…but where we are now warrants this type of discussion, and anyone who’s read my posts knows I’m one of the biggest “anti-Negatoid” guys on this board.
As others have mentioned, this is not a one-year phenomenon that we’re now witnessing. This has been building for quite a while.
Frankly, I think the discussion has been sober and measured. We’re not yelling at one another because the subjects being discussed are backed by a track record and facts.
And right here I’ll add the obligatory disclaimer: ..” I’m a big JB fan and appreciate everything he’s done for the program, but blah blah blah”.
This is not mindless blather going on- we see we’re in trouble as a program, and there is serious, and very legitimate doubt that JB can get us out of it. JMHO
I do get it and your points are well taken. I am frustrated too, just try to refrain from expressing that a lot online. I’ve been a fan for many years, back in the 70s so yes it is difficult to see how we are really just a mediocre program these days it seems from what we used to be. Hoping for a resurgence over next few years.

Honest question: what is there to be positive about right now in regards to this b-ball team and program?
Actually not a lot I agree. Guess it’s just hard to read all the time and being negative in general is just easier for people, our brains are negatively biased in general. I’ve been around many years and it IS frustrating how the program has deteriorated from where it used to be, hoping for much better things over next few years.

Honestly this is the part that I don't get. There is nothing happening here that hasn't been on display as a gradual decay over the last 7-8 years. It's not like we don't have a historical record to compare to.

It varies for different posters, but I think it boils down to rationalization, blind faith, and fear of change -- or some combination thereof.

For some, expectations have also shifted to where a 12, 13, or 14+ loss season is "acceptable" so long as we make a sweet 16, which then offsets the generally subpar rest of the season in their view.

The bottom line is that the slippage is palpable, and it represents a steady decline. And in order to reverse that decline, we're going to need a fresh approach, and an infusion of new ideas / energy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RDembowski

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom