Most storied program in lacrosse history | Syracusefan.com

Most storied program in lacrosse history

SU2NASA

All American
and can't find someone who is even remotely reasonable at winning a faceoff.

Pretty embarassing, Duke loses one of there best faceoff guys ever in Costabile and they get even better at the X. We haven't won a clean draw the entire game, that is unheard of. Going to be 6 years since Brennan next season and we still have nothing at the X. Something has to give.

Literally getting our throats stomped on @ the X.

it is just shameful. i've never watched a more frustrating game.

Pretty embarassing, Duke loses one of there best faceoff guys ever in Costabile and they get even better at the X. We haven't won a clean draw the entire game, that is unheard of. Going to be 6 years since Brennan next season and we still have nothing at the X. Something has to give.

Since SU started winning titles in 1983 the longest title droughts have been 5 years. They have to win it all next year to keep that intact.

Since SU started winning titles in 1983 the longest title droughts have been 5 years. They have to win it all next year to keep that intact.

Next years offense will be unbelievably good barring injury. Issue is still the same though, if you cant win draws it doesnt matter if you have the Powells and Gaits all on the same team. The X team needs a complete overhaul, our draw guys are bad and the wings are somehow worse.

The face-off issue has costed us 2 national titles in the last 3 years (also 2011). We we were also a #1 seed in 2011.

The face-off issue has costed us 2 national titles in the last 3 years (also 2011). We we were also a #1 seed in 2011.

Hard to argue that statement, very frustrating.

Obviously recruiting the #1 FO guy in the country in HS (Daddio) didn't work.

Maybe we should go after some one and two star kids? ;)

Recruiting misses happen, the issue is you have to keep brining in guys every year, Daddio is a junior where were the recruits the year before him and after?

Recruiting misses happen, the issue is you have to keep brining in guys every year, Daddio is a junior where were the recruits the year before him and after?

Ricky Buhr?

Conor Pequigney?

Seems to me the most successful FO guys nowadays are the strong, low center of gravity types like this duke kid and the Bryant kid.

Daddio is a speed guy. But that doesn't work against the clamp and pinch.

Lets recruit a wrestler that faces off :)

Obviously recruiting the #1 FO guy in the country in HS (Daddio) didn't work.

Maybe we should go after some one and two star kids? ;)

Duke's FO guy is on their football team which allows them to count the scholarship on the football side, nice side benefit. Maybe we can get the football team to recruit a special teams player who can win at the X on the lacrosse field in the spring.

Thats disgusting ,I totally agree.That or coach the play well enough not to be pathetic and impotent in that facet of the game. I hate to lose as all of you do as well. I hate to lose because of such a glaring obvious missing part of the game. I'm not exact;y thrilled with our ability to harness ground balls cleanly. The defense waslacking some help e.g. doubling up the coverage close inside.

Next years offense will be unbelievably good barring injury. Issue is still the same though, if you cant win draws it doesnt matter if you have the Powells and Gaits all on the same team. The X team needs a complete overhaul, our draw guys are bad and the wings are somehow worse.

The problem starts with the X man but I agree our wing play the last few years has been a big contributing factor. There were many times today when our wings just seemed to quit or got pushed off of the ball far too easily.

The problem starts with the X man but I agree our wing play the last few years has been a big contributing factor. There were many times today when our wings just seemed to quit or got pushed off of the ball far too easily.

Duke was more athletic: bigger, stronger, faster, at many positions. Ground balls are all about athleticism and effort.

That big african american dude was ineffective against Cornell. did nothing. yet, he looked unstoppable against us.

Our best player, Marasco, was not a threat. Meanwhile, Duke's second line middies had his quickness.

This senior class willed its way to a championship game . Yet, we haven't had true talent and depth since the Galloway, White, and Hardy days.

we ended up having to put a long stick on the black dude which really caused us problems. I thought that kid was terrible to and we made him look great. Pratt and Jenkins are just really not that good at playing D (although today was one of Pratts better days I thought). Nonetheless, the best move we did was zoning Duke's second line and it worked. Then we tried zoning their first line and left a mid wide open for a 10 yard shot and goal. So we abandoned the zone. I thought we should have zoned that second line exclusively. Oh well.

What really killed our defensive effort was being over aggressive on doubling. We doubled a bunch when we didn't need to and then were slow to react with slides and leaving some guys wide open.

Then we couldn't get the ball. Our defense became exhausted and mistakes ensued and Lamo didn't help as his second half was abysmal. There were shots he should have saved.

Our ground ball effort all year by the short sticks was pretty piss poor. Duke nearly doubled us up on ground balls today. Our face off wing support was as and is as much a problem as the guy doing the draws. Countless times this year its been a groundball situation at X and we've simply not come up with the ball. As Swish said, groundballs is about effort but I'd add its also about toughness.

as much as I have read here about the parity in lax now in college,coaching is what separates it from most phases of the game and from what i have read here today was mostly coaching issues,

if it wasn't for Lelan Rodgers COACHING THE D this year we would have never made the playoffs to begin with.

how many times did we give up man-up goals this year when the penalty was on the other team. there was a few as our man-up offense was clueless during a stretch in mid-season

Our ground ball effort all year by the short sticks was pretty piss poor. Duke nearly doubled us up on ground balls today. Our face off wing support was as and is as much a problem as the guy doing the draws. Countless times this year its been a groundball situation at X and we've simply not come up with the ball. As Swish said, groundballs is about effort but I'd add its also about toughness.

Very true, but how many times did the opposing FO guy just get a clean pick up? It happened repeatedly this season, particularly against Bryant and today. It's tough to blame the wings when the ball is picked up cleanly. Once Megill started taking the FOs today, it started to even out but it was far too late at that point. If we had a long stick taking FOs all game, maybe the D isn't so tired in the 2nd half?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom