Class of 2017 - C/PF Moustapha Diagne (NJ) to Western Kentucky | Page 13 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 C/PF Moustapha Diagne (NJ) to Western Kentucky

I wouldn't rip into the comp that he has been playing against as of late as quoted by his coach. “He has been playing extremely well these last three weeks,” Hasson said. “In the last six games he is averaging 24 points, 16 rebounds, 3 assists and 2 blocks. And in those six games we played Our Savior New American (No. 9 in USA Today), Cardinal Hayes (No. 1 MSG Varsity at the time – Undefeated), Mt Olive (No. 1-ranked in Morris County on a 10-game win streak), Blair Academy (No. 1-ranked Prep in NJ), and two league games." Plus I watched his recent game against Blair yesterday that I'll post about next and I have to say that I was very impress and think he would be our best post player since AO/RJ, with potential to be even better. To answer your question, yes I do think that we'll still go after Bryant even if Diagne commits. Can't trust DC2 knees at this point and we'll need as much depth as we can in the post. Things have gone quiet with Jones and if Howard doesn't visit then that's a sign that we may have backed off a bit.
Do you get the sense this will be a one guard (Malachi) class?

Depends on if Ennis is a goner. If he bounces then I think Howard becomes our guy if we still want him.

When you say "Depends on if Ennis is a goner," do you mean gone after this season or gone after his sophomore season? Because the way its looking, I think its safe to say he's gone before Franklin Howard would be a college freshmen. Ennis could potentially be a lotto pick with a good tourney run this season, though I think it would serve him well to return and improve upon his athleticism before making the leap to the NBA.
Going after Franklin Howard means that we not only will land one less wing/big man recruit (Diagne/Bryant/Jones/Diallo/Silva), but it also would make the 2016 class a harder sell to Battle and Murray. I think going for 3's, 4's, and 5's to round out the 2015 class is the ideal direction for the program, while we can turn our attention to guards such as Battle and Murray in 2016 to replace Cooney and Gbinije.
I think the bigger question is, will we get 4 or 5 players from this class. I know it appears like we'll go with 4, but I think we could go with 5. McCullough has a strong chance at being one-and-done. If we land five players I'll gladly take any combination of Diagne/Bryant/Jones/Diallo/Silva/Howard. But if we only get four, then we'll have some tough choices to make, especially if Diagne takes the third scholarship this weekend. Whatever happens, it's a good problem to have.

When you say "Depends on if Ennis is a goner," do you mean gone after this season or gone after his sophomore season? Because the way its looking, I think its safe to say he's gone before Franklin Howard would be a college freshmen. Ennis could potentially be a lotto pick with a good tourney run this season, though I think it would serve him well to return and improve upon his athleticism before making the leap to the NBA.
Going after Franklin Howard means that we not only will land one less wing/big man recruit (Diagne/Bryant/Jones/Diallo/Silva), but it also would make the 2016 class a harder sell to Battle and Murray. I think going for 3's, 4's, and 5's to round out the 2015 class is the ideal direction for the program, while we can turn our attention to guards such as Battle and Murray in 2016 to replace Cooney and Gbinije.
I think the bigger question is, will we get 4 or 5 players from this class. I know it appears like we'll go with 4, but I think we could go with 5. McCullough has a strong chance at being one-and-done. If we land five players I'll gladly take any combination of Diagne/Bryant/Jones/Diallo/Silva/Howard. But if we only get four, then we'll have some tough choices to make, especially if Diagne takes the third scholarship this weekend. Whatever happens, it's a good problem to have.
Good post. You basically answered my thoughts.

Wow! Sending positive commit vibes his way this weekend.

“He is doing a little bit of everything offensively. He can shoot jump hooks with either hand, he can catch it at the elbow and make 15-foot shots or make one or two dribble moves to go by his defender, and he has begun adding a 3-point shot to his game as noted by the two that he made in our game on Sunday. His extra work on the court allows him to add more and more dimensions to his game all the time. We even have him handling the ball coming off ball screens in our offense sometimes now.”

Francis03 -thanks for the writeup. I am now more excited about the possibility of Daigne. The elusive post game is something I would love to see back at SU. And if he is the frontrunner for providing this part of the game, he moves up on my personal board.

As for the hustle aspect, he may quickly learn what is accepted here if he wants to stay on the court. Also, recently SU has a couple of centers going, so they don't have to pace themselves. He may quickly learn that his court time will be severely limited if he doesn't play all out.

I like what I'm hearing about him. Lets wrap this up quickly.

I'm feeling pretty good about this guy this weekend. Just in a general way, nothing purely factual.
coffee.jpg