Movies 2023 | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Movies 2023

So streaming which is making no money almost anywhere needs to provide more money which means raise the rates and people are already cutting back on so many of them.
Some of the streaming services aren’t turning a profit…if you believe what the studios are reporting. It’s basically the fledgling streamers that aren’t profitable yet: Disney, Max, Peacock, Paramount. The more established streamers, Netflix and Hulu, do turn a profit. And there’s no way to know if Apple and Prime are turning a profit, because they’re not reporting anything.

Of course, the CEOs of all of the above are making tens of millions of dollars every year. You’re falling into their trap when you argue that raising subscription rates and ticket prices are the answer.

Or screwing over writers and actors. Many of these people depend on residual checks as a source of income. The bulk of residuals come from video rentals/sales, syndication, and network deals. Streaming is taking that away. If you’re siding with the studios, you’re essentially calling for a pre-NIL college sports model in the world of entertainment.

The studios are using a loophole to exploit pre-existing agreements for their own greed. I don’t know how anyone can defend the studios and at the same time criticize the strike, when the actors and writers are trying to do the exact same thing as the execs: maximize their earnings.

It’s vitally important that you watch Dr. Steven Greers new movie/documentary, if you care about our nation and the world’s survival.
This is not a fear mongering attempt to create political division; this is informed scientists speaking out about the health and wellbeing of our planet.
If you care about your children and grand children’s survival, please obtain a copy and watch it!

You can’t be serious. That guy is absolutely crackers.

I figure all the money i dont spend because i cant stand coffee pays off for all the other things i get to do.
I hear you.

I drink coffee. And beer. Which adds up.

But I otherwise only drink water, so not buying soda, juice, or milk saves money.

I suppose one could literally only drink water and save a ton of money and be healthier, if they really wanted to.

You’re forgetting the talent. Actors, directors, writers, and the rest of the crew would be taken advantage of, just like they were back then.

And, frankly, they’re being taken advantage of now. Streaming and AI are game-changers in different ways. The actors and writers want their fair share of streaming revenue. They also don’t want to be exploited or rendered obsolete by the use of AI. These are reasonable requests.
History is replete with people being replaced by technology. Cars, digging ditches, adding, calculating space launches, etc. Medical diagnosis is coming soon.

History is replete with people being replaced by technology. Cars, digging ditches, adding, calculating space launches, etc. Medical diagnosis is coming soon.
Technology is nowhere near the level of quality needed to replace artists. We’ll wind up with an inferior product.

We’re not talking about advancements. We’re talking about cutting corners. In the name of greed.

I hear you.

I drink coffee. And beer. Which adds up.

But I otherwise only drink water, so not buying soda, juice, or milk saves money.

I suppose one could literally only drink water and save a ton of money and be healthier, if they really wanted to.
Just buy yourself a Breville. Got irritated one day looking at my wife's monthly Starbucks expenditures and spent 6 or 7 hundo on a real good espresso machine and it has quickly paid for itself.

For anyone who’s seen it already, Is Oppenheimer the best movie of the decade, or best of all time.

the people i have talked to said it was pretty good.. very long and detailed more than expected.

I’ll give it a shot and will probably like it. But first need the crowds to die down don’t want to sit beside someone for 3 hours (which is way too long for a movie btw)

Saw Barbie yesterday and have to say it was definitely different from what I was expecting. That’s a good thing. It wasn’t a movie for children at all. It was actually very political with some mature topics discussed. Far from the best movie of all time but definitely not the worst. Also, the amount of people wearing hot pink to the theater was insane.

Got to see Indy before it left the theaters.. Glad I did, it was great to see one last run of the char with the dude..

I expect at some point they do some remake with a new guy but who knows how long.

They did a great job of keeping the film style consistent with the originals..

Saw Oppenheimer last night. Acting was terrific but the movie definitely didn’t live up to the hype. Just don’t think I like Nolan’s directing style. And the nudity was unnecessary.

Saw Oppenheimer last night. Acting was terrific but the movie definitely didn’t live up to the hype. Just don’t think I like Nolan’s directing style. And the nudity was unnecessary.
Memento and The Prestige are both incredible movies. Will always defend those. The first two batman movies are also about as good as it gets in the comic book action movie genre, but that is not everyone's thing in the first place. For me Dunkirk, Interstellar, Tenet, and to a lesser extent Oppenheimer have all been relative duds. Better than your average movie, often visually stunning, but not blowing me away either. But there are a gazillion people who will defend those to the death too. The dude has a crazy loyal following.

Memento and The Prestige are both incredible movies. Will always defend those. The first two batman movies are also about as good as it gets in the comic book action movie genre, but that is not everyone's thing in the first place. For me Dunkirk, Interstellar, Tenet, and to a lesser extent Oppenheimer have all been relative duds. Better than your average movie, often visually stunning, but not blowing me away either. But there are a gazillion people who will defend those to the death too. The dude has a crazy loyal following.
I liked Interstellar, but agree with you on the rest.

The Prestige is in my top 5 favorites of all time. It's really an under the radar great movie.

Haven't seen Oppenheimer yet. Feels like a cross country flight movie.

I liked Interstellar, but agree with you on the rest.

The Prestige is in my top 5 favorites of all time. It's really an under the radar great movie.

Haven't seen Oppenheimer yet. Feels like a cross country flight movie.
What about Inception?

unions vs technology. technology wins. rock paper micro chip.

I’ll give it a shot and will probably like it. But first need the crowds to die down don’t want to sit beside someone for 3 hours (which is way too long for a movie btw)
I generally have a rule that I will not go to the theaters for a movie if it’s 3+ hours. Granted this one is less than 3 if you take out the credits, but regardless, it’s easily the fastest feeling 3 hour movie I’ve ever seen and I’m glad I broke my rule for it. I personally loved it and totally understand why it will likely be nominated for pretty much every Oscar category (how many wins is a different story).

My wife was straight up not a fan of the movie at all. She’s kind of angry a movie like this was even made and feels like the main subplot of it was completely unnecessary.

So I saw Oppenheimer.

Absolutely a must watch, agree with comment above about it not feeling long. However, it isn’t going to stand out to me as a God tier movie. It’s good, but I found myself getting a little bored with the subplot of the hearing and wanted it to wrap up. Good not great but still should watch for the cinematic aspect alone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom