Must Read: Sunday Article on Football side found by Orangeyes | Syracusefan.com

Must Read: Sunday Article on Football side found by Orangeyes

arbitragegls

All Conference
POWER MOVE BY ACC

CUDOS to Orangeyes for finding this article...it was like reading a Patterson novel...great stuff...especially the part about ESPN and TV telling ACC how to get more money and who to pick...the rationale why Uconn didnt get in and Pitt did...and finally, finally, the fact that 'CUSE WAS # 1 choice...Finally, in the end we win!

The article seems to make pretty clear tha UConn has a snowball's chance of getting an invitation to the ACC.

Everyone seemed bored of Uconn this last year. Very few even bothered celerbrating their championship.

Grudges are a b**ch. Jim Calhoun said that UConn would never play BC again, and now he's been proven right. I bet ya Herbst sends daily emails to BC trying to smooth over the past, to no avail.

I don't think ESPN literally told the ACC what to do. I think that was a play on words by DeFilippo. He was probably referring to the $$$ windfalls that the B1G and PAC-12 received by expanding.

And I think the article sold Pitt a little short by not mentioning the historical rivalry with ND. I'm sure that, more than basketball and BC's feud with UConn, tipped the scales firmly in the Panthers favor. If the ACC wanted to make themselves more appealing to ND, choosing Pitt over UConn was a slam-dunk decision.

Anyone get the feeling that if ND does choose a conference, and it is the ACC, that Rutgers, not UConn, would be the 16th team? If I were a Rutgers fan, that article would be posted on my wall, and I would be lobbying ND from now until Kingdom Come.

Save this article for when the ACC elite tell us that they did us a huge favor by letting SU in their conference. The ACC was no longer the best basketball conference and it wasn't even close. It will be the best basketball conference again. Syracuse is the difference-maker.

Now if only BC, Wake, UVA, VT, Miami, GT, and NCSt could get some respectable basketball programs

Grudges are a b**ch. Jim Calhoun said that UConn would never play BC again, and now he's been proven right. I bet ya Herbst sends daily emails to BC trying to smooth over the past, to no avail.

I don't think ESPN literally told the ACC what to do. I think that was a play on words by DeFilippo. He was probably referring to the $$$ windfalls that the B1G and PAC-12 received by expanding.

And I think the article sold Pitt a little short by not mentioning the historical rivalry with ND. I'm sure that, more than basketball and BC's feud with UConn, tipped the scales firmly in the Panthers favor. If the ACC wanted to make themselves more appealing to ND, choosing Pitt over UConn was a slam-dunk decision.

Anyone get the feeling that if ND does choose a conference, and it is the ACC, that Rutgers, not UConn, would be the 16th team? If I were a Rutgers fan, that article would be posted on my wall, and I would be lobbying ND from now until Kingdom Come.

My guess is that everybody will get to clear this up under deposition. If this is true, The arrogance of Defillipo is pretty impressive by stating it publicly.

UConn must be seeing their relevance in jeopardy

Yeah - Rutgers may want to walk back their refusal to play a series with Notre Dame on the Irish's terms.

To be honest i don't care for bc and never have, their football program has never been more than average and as a basketball program they are pathetic. If jake hadn't been miffed at our invite being pulled and gone back we would have been in and not bc. I think this round of expansion the ACC felt they needed to correct not getting us in last time. BC's great history is in hockey.

It has been abundantly clear that BC would do all it could to block UCon. Even the UCon fans were aware of this. Rutgirls would only offer another bottom feeder. Truth be told, if Pitt and Cuse said no, the Big East would have had a better chance of surviving. We should not be so smug to think that our leaving was immaterial to the breakup by assuming that the ACC would have just taken two other Big East teams.

This is not to say that the Big East was not vulnerable. It was. Our new home should be more stable, but I am holding my breath with Florida St and the SEC.

Something doesn't add up though. I doubt BC has an absolute veto. There has to be some requirement, like 2/3rds or 3/4 required for approval. Perhaps the other schools appeased BC this time around b/c PITT was viewed similarly to UCONN. But if the league wants to/needs to expand again, I doubt they'll take less desirable schools just to satisfy a recent, and relatively insignificant, new entrant from Chestnut Hill.

Wow, this almost takes the sting out of the Giants game.

Townie is a prophet. Pissing straight up in the air (UConn) doesn't seem to work.

And it's also clear JB's rep with Coach K clearly played in our favor.

Something doesn't add up though. I doubt BC has an absolute veto. There has to be some requirement, like 2/3rds or 3/4 required for approval. Perhaps the other schools appeased BC this time around b/c PITT was viewed similarly to UCONN. But if the league wants to/needs to expand again, I doubt they'll take less desirable schools just to satisfy a recent, and relatively insignificant, new entrant from Chestnut Hill.

I agree, and think the missing ingredient is what Pitt does to potentially lure Penn State from B1G some day, not any time soon, but some day.

The article mentioned that B12 might have been starting to show some interest in Pitt, but failed to mention that the B1G would have loved to lure Maryland from ACC and Pitt from BE to appease PSU whose nearest B1G foe is 5 hours and 45 minutes and 336 miles versus these others much closer:
Time Miles Penn St (45-AAU)
2.67 136 Pitt (AAU,58)
3.85 205 MD (AAU,55))
4.10 229 Rutgers (AAU,68)
4.45 254 Army
4.48 241 Cuse(~AAU-62)
4.80 205 Navy
5.08 288 UVA (AAU,25)
5.75 336 Ohio St (AAU,55)
6.30 366 VA Tech (~AAU-71)
6.38 367 UCONN (~AAU-58)
6.42 390 Michigan (AAU,28)

ACC would love to get Notre Dame some day too, but it is nowhere the geographic fit that PSU is for ACC. the fit PSU is not for B1G.

In fact ACC is just the opposite at least with regards to Notre Dame geography vis a vis B1G, not necessarily the Irish's culture or alumni. To get both long term would be quite a coup for the ACC.

So B1G may hope to one day finally convince Notre Dame and add some Association of American Universities (AAU) schools or equivalents like ND- Rutgers-Army-Navy to appease PSU, if they cannot instead snag a couple of these ACC AAU schools Pitt and MD to go with the Irish and Rutgers, that they did not compete for this round.

ACC caught the B1G napping on this one. The B1G does not seem to have learned its lesson and does not appear to be competing for Missouri who is #90 and AAU plus a great fit with Illini and opens up that STL and KC market.

I do think the ACC will hold out as long as they can to get ND and PSU. If they find they can get one, but not both, at that time, I agree both ACC and B1G would go with Rutgers before UCONN, in B1G case because of AAU.

BC has some say in this, but it is more the NY/NJ market and closeness to PSU realtive to UCONN whose only value Bball is diminished by some shaky ethics on Calhoun's part. I do think Geno runs a clean program.

With respect the the 8 BE non football schools, there are a ton of Catholic Univerisites they could pair up with.

BE-BB 32Villanova -9
BE-BB 18Marquette -9
BE-BB Georgetown -6
BE-BB 36Notre Dame -2
BE-BB 39St. John's -4
BE-BB Providence - 14
BE-BB Seton Hall -12
BE-BB DePaul -16

By conference, A10 has 8, MAAC has 8, WCC has 7 but too far away, NE has 4 not very good, Horizon has Detroit Mercy and Loyola-IL , ACC has BC, MVC has Creighton and Patriot has LaSalle, plus Seattle is Independent.

A10 14Xavier -1
A10 St. Bonav -7
A10 Duquesne -4
A10 Dayton -7
A10 Fordham -14
A10 St. Joseph's -12
A10 SLU -10
A10 LaSalle -10

MAAC 55-Iona -2
MAAC Fairfield -1
MAAC St. Peter's -4
MAAC Siena -7
MAAC Loyola-MD -5
MAAC Manhattan -9
MAAC Niagara -8
MAAC Marist -9

NE MtStMary's -6
NE St. Franc NY -5
NE Sacred Heart -10
NE St. Franc PA -8

Two of the non-Catholic A10 schools ironically could be candidates for BE football. Temple is already MAC in football and Richmond though 1-AA has some potential to beat lousy football teams like Duke anyway. The others would have to scramble for homes in conferences like the Am East, NE, CAA, Big South etc

A10 38Temple -2
A10 Richmond -3
A10 U.R.I. -5
A10 GWU -5
A10 UMASS -7
A10 Charlotte -13

The other approach would be for the 8 to pair up with the 8 team Patriot Conference, but their Bball is quite a bit weaker than A10's and top of MAAC's Catholic schools are. It does include some teams Notre Dame competes with in football obviously OOC:

Patr 56-Bucknell -1
Patr Lehigh -4
Patr American -2
Patr Holy Cross -3
Patr Lafayette -4
Patr Army -8
Patr Navy -4
Patr Colgate -7

I read that this morning in the Globe. The real nugget was DeFillippo (can I still can him Fredo?) blackballing UConn. Had this argument with my friend the other day. I said MO had possibly harmed their possible move to the SEC by saying they had preferred the B1G to the SEC. He said I was nuts. Now, would it be the only thing the SEC looked at? No. Could it play a role? Definitely. These people are human. They listen to what people say, and they hold grudges. So glad we weren't a party to that lawsuit.

I read that this morning in the Globe. The real nugget was DeFillippo (can I still can him Fredo?) blackballing UConn. Had this argument with my friend the other day. I said MO had possibly harmed their possible move to the SEC by saying they had preferred the B1G to the SEC. He said I was nuts. Now, would it be the only thing the SEC looked at? No. Could it play a role? Definitely. These people are human. They listen to what people say, and they hold grudges. So glad we weren't a party to that lawsuit.
Definitely. Who's to say in 5-8 years the big 10 won't decide to expand and remember what Mizz said about wanting to join in 2011? It's like asking a girl to the prom and her saying I'll go with you as long as ____ doesn't ask me before then.

As far as Mizzou - yes they have had loose lips the past 2 years. But could a school or a booster be That stupid to indicate they prefer the B1G when all they would have to do is pick up the phone to call Delaney? Didn't that quote emanate from Orangeblood? Some disinformation perhaps?

Good thing the ACC didn't take into consideration some of the comments made about them that were made on these boards a few years ago. :D

As far as Mizzou - yes they have had loose lips the past 2 years. But could a school or a booster be That stupid to indicate they prefer the B1G when all they would have to do is pick up the phone to call Delaney? Didn't that quote emanate from Orangeblood? Some disinformation perhaps?

I saw it in several places - always attributed to 'unnamed sources not authorized to speak on behalf of the university'. I suppose they could all be pointing back to Orangeblood. :noidea:

the idea being floated that gdf gave uconn and the big east to sue is laughable. Since when is it against the law to tell a business partner what you think he should do to help his business make more money? There is no anti-trust issue here. Filing a lawsuit is what helped get UConn in to the mess they are in.

I saw it in several places - always attributed to 'unnamed sources not authorized to speak on behalf of the university'. I suppose they could all be pointing back to Orangeblood. :noidea:
It'd be funny if all these rumors were just a small group of college kids trolling the nation

The article seems to make pretty clear tha UConn has a snowball's chance of getting an invitation to the ACC.

I completely disagree. BC does not run the ACC, TV$ does.

The whole "grudge" narrative doesn't even make sense, considering that Pitt got in.

The idea that BC wants to keep UConn out of the ACC for territorial reasons makes perfect sense, and Cuse should feel the same way: unfortunately, there is no way that the TV execs want their flagship new england program to be BC (unless, of course, ND is making demands to preserve BC's relevance).

BC does not run the ACC, $ does.
Absolutely true. If the ACC decides to expand again (either because ND finally says yes, or because the SEC takes a team or two), I would think UConn makes the cut.