My elementary school | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

My elementary school

That makes me feel older than I already do. I worked with Damien's mom when he was about in middle school. I had him running around selling March Madness board squares. He came from a fantastic family.

And his mother was at your wedding.

The number of people on the board from East Syracuse is unusually high.

Was it something in the water?

If you survived the music class of Ms. Gilmeister, the rest of your life is easy...

We take every day as a gift.

Water off a duck's back.

Wasn’t there a bar located at the end of the road where the high school is?

Wasn’t there a bar located at the end of the road where the high school is?

Yes. It was called Joey D's when I was there in late 80's, but has had a few names.

It's gone now and has been gone for a long time.

My friend's brother told me they would go there for lunch when he was a highschool senior and pound beers (when drinking age was 18 in the 70s.)

It was in the back of the cafeteria.

They had half decent wings as I recall... But there's no topping the B2 for wings.

Being Fremont born and bred, what I really miss is Friday night fish fry at Fremont Lanes... It was a weekly staple tradition. Half the east side used to go there for Friday haddock... Lines out the door.

My junior high was Courtview Jr High, a...I kid you not...converted bus garage located next to Courtview Elementary. This was before the two districts, ES and M, merged. I have never found any evidence of it on the internet and it's almost like it never existed. ES and M merged and the then-new high school opened my freshman year. Once the middle school opened...Pine Grove I think it was...Courtview Jr. High dissolved into the mists of time.

They had half decent wings as I recall... But there's no topping the B2 for wings.

Being Fremont born and bred, what I really miss is Friday night fish fry at Fremont Lanes... It was a weekly staple tradition. Half the east side used to go there for Friday haddock... Lines out the door.

You must have been near where I lived because I did those things too. I lived right on Fremont Rd near Manlius Center Rd. I bowled at Fremont Lanes as a youth and my uncle was the manager.

The whole end of Fremont Lanes is sad. If I recall correctly, a developer bought that entire side of the street to put something up like Aldi's, and the used car place wouldn't sell. So the lanes was torn down for nothing.

Spent 7th and 8th grade in the old Minoa high school, they let us go to Vance's next door for lunch. They had the absolute best fish sandwiches every Friday.

The building was torn down long ago, it was infinitely better than the current ESM high school.

You must have been near where I lived because I did those things too. I lived right on Fremont Rd near Manlius Center Rd. I bowled at Fremont Lanes as a youth and my uncle was the manager.

Yep. I was first left turn off 290 after you pass Burdick st. (Hadden).

I did not bowl much at the lanes but spent a small fortune in quarters playing video games there in my youth.

Fun fact that I learned a few years ago... That whole Oot-built neighborhood has a name... ”Fremont Manor". At least that what my mom claims. They had no monument sign or whatnot so I was skeptical.

I've mentioned this before, but 20-25 years ago, Bobcat Goldthwait appeared locally here in a small club. We had a table right at the stage and when he mentioned Syracuse in his act, I called out "East Syracuse." (Of course, Bobcat is from East Syracuse and graduated from Grimes).

That led to an on again, off again conversation between the two of us regarding Syracuse and East Syracuse throughout his act. I thought it was awesome, although the audience probably did not. At one point, he said "hey, when you were young, did you ever stand outside Fremont Lanes and ask older guys to buy beer for you?"

Me: "um, no"

Bobcat: "Oh, OK, that's cool."

I've mentioned this before, but 20-25 years ago, Bobcat Goldthwait appeared locally here in a small club. We had a table right at the stage and when he mentioned Syracuse in his act, I called out "East Syracuse." (Of course, Bobcat is from East Syracuse and graduated from Grimes).

That led to an on again, off again conversation between the two of us regarding Syracuse and East Syracuse throughout his act. I thought it was awesome, although the audience probably did not. At one point, he said "hey, when you were young, did you ever stand outside Fremont Lanes and ask older guys to buy beer for you?"

That’s funny. I never knew Bobcat but played little league with his older brother.

Yep. I was first left turn off 290 after you pass Burdick st. (Hadden).

I did not bowl much at the lanes but spent a small fortune in quarters playing video games there in my youth.

Fun fact that I learned a few years ago... That whole Oot-built neighborhood has a name... ”Fremont Manor". At least that what my mom claims. They had no monument sign or whatnot so I was skeptical.

I’ve heard that before but also don’t know if it’s true. Think it applies to the area of Fremont down where you were and not all of “Fremont” up where I was. I was across the street from the administration building which was actually a school at one time.

My junior high was Courtview Jr High, a...I kid you not...converted bus garage located next to Courtview Elementary. This was before the two districts, ES and M, merged. I have never found any evidence of it on the internet and it's almost like it never existed. ES and M merged and the then-new high school opened my freshman year. Once the middle school opened...Pine Grove I think it was...Courtview Jr. High dissolved into the mists of time.

Since this thread is already offtrack in reminiscing... Checkout this FB group... If you ask, someone will prolly post pictures of it...

They post all sorts of historical photos and such on there...

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1677947467060.jpg
    FB_IMG_1677947467060.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 27
I’ve heard that before but also don’t know if it’s true. Think it applies to the area of Fremont down where you were and not all of “Fremont” up where I was. I was across the street from the administration building which was actually a school at one time.

Yeah... I think the neighborhood included all of Davis and Dauenhauer streets... Cape Cods galore... At least most of the houses looked of the same vintage...

Since this thread is already offtrack in reminiscing... Checkout this FB group... If you ask, someone will prolly post pictures of it...

They post all sorts of historical photos and such on there...

Rotnauer bridge. Walked across it many times. Scary AF especially if a car was crossing it as you walked across.

Rotnauer bridge. Walked across it many times. Scary AF especially if a car was crossing it as you walked across.

Yeah, thankfully, by the time I was "independently mobile" (i.e. was riding my bike all over the place), they had rebuilt the bridge with a sidewalk.

I do remember going over the old bridge in backseat of the family's mercury bomber as a very young lad and saying ”mom, I don't think this bridge is safe. We should go a different way.”

I wasn't wrong.

My sister went to Grimes with Bob and Tom. She likes to tell a story about a time when Bob filled up his desk with water and goldfish.

Another Spartan checking in. Also attended Courtview but followed that up with a year at Center St. which consisted of three small raised ranch style homes converted to classrooms for my freshman year. It turned out to be an awesome experience.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom