My Jim Delany decoder ring | Syracusefan.com

My Jim Delany decoder ring

kyleslamb

Scout Team
I noticed Delany made a couple of points repetitively both Monday and today about expansion. And Delany is typically very calculating, so he might have given us some clues about the Big Ten's plans.

First and foremost, he repeatedly floated the idea of 16 teams. And in both occasions, he mentioned "14 teams is a prime number" and he doesn't like prime numbers. This was a strong inference that they're not happy with 14. And that they're opening East coast offices tells me they're probably not done, though I think we all realize that East is the only way they'd likely go anyhow.

But the other interesting thing is that he's now making a big deal about expanding to contiguous states. If this is a clue, then we can limit Delany's targets to:

Virginia, Virginia Tech, Syracuse, Pittsburgh, Iowa State, Missouri, Kansas, Louisville or Notre Dame, then possibly Connecticut, North Carolina, Duke the Oklahoma schools or Clemson.

Now let's be honest, most of these are non-starters (Pitt, Iowa State, VPI, Mizzou, Kansas, Louisville, the Oklahomas and Clemson). So realistically, that leaves us with Syracuse, Notre Dame, Virginia, North Carolina or Connecticut. And even Connecticut is probably unlikely.

Seems to me there are probably two possibilities: Syracuse/Notre Dame or Virginia/UNC. That's just reading between the Delany lines, though.

I don't think Notre Dame is going to budge unless the SEC strikes or the Big 12 strikes. But if that happens soon, it might change a lot of things and willingness to look at other options.

If the B1G wants to go to 16, the Pac12 will go to 16 also.

That puts Kansas and Oklahoma in play in either direction.

I'd give anything to see the exact wording of the Big 12's Grant of Rights agreement with ESPN/FOX. I still continue to hear conflicting info as to whether it's all media rights or tier 1 or tier 2 rights and whether the rights extend to only rights owned by these two networks or whether they'd impact other media rights with third parties (i.e. if the Big Ten went to NBC/NBC Sports).

Don't ask me why, but I think SU and ND are tied to each other.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

I noticed Delany made a couple of points repetitively both Monday and today about expansion. And Delany is typically very calculating, so he might have given us some clues about the Big Ten's plans.

First and foremost, he repeatedly floated the idea of 16 teams. And in both occasions, he mentioned "14 teams is a prime number" and he doesn't like prime numbers. This was a strong inference that they're not happy with 14. And that they're opening East coast offices tells me they're probably not done, though I think we all realize that East is the only way they'd likely go anyhow.

But the other interesting thing is that he's now making a big deal about expanding to contiguous states. If this is a clue, then we can limit Delany's targets to:

Virginia, Virginia Tech, Syracuse, Pittsburgh, Iowa State, Missouri, Kansas, Louisville or Notre Dame, then possibly Connecticut, North Carolina, Duke the Oklahoma schools or Clemson.

Now let's be honest, most of these are non-starters (Pitt, Iowa State, VPI, Mizzou, Kansas, Louisville, the Oklahomas and Clemson). So realistically, that leaves us with Syracuse, Notre Dame, Virginia, North Carolina or Connecticut. And even Connecticut is probably unlikely.

Seems to me there are probably two possibilities: Syracuse/Notre Dame or Virginia/UNC. That's just reading between the Delany lines, though.

I don't think Notre Dame is going to budge unless the SEC strikes or the Big 12 strikes. But if that happens soon, it might change a lot of things and willingness to look at other options.
Long story short, I agree.

I wonder what kind of "Gentleman's Agreement" may exist between the B1G and the PAC. Of course it didn't stop delaney from poaching Nebraska. But I have to think the cozy relationship those two conferences enjoy would be severely tested if the B1G scuttled and possible PAC expansion plans by grabbing two more teams from the B12 -- the PACs target area.

If we get into big ten it will be because of nd Newhouse and or bb program in that order

Maybe B1G is going really BIG. How about 18 or 20 to corner the Eastern market. Add from these ND, SU, BC, UVA, UNC, CU, GT, UM.

If the B1G went UNC and UVA wouldn't it be pushing Notre Dame potentially into the SEC or Pac-12 coffers as the B1G would be full at 16. Thus, the golden cow ND would make either the Pac-12 or SEC a lot more $$$. Isn't the B1G just destabilizing the ACC to force the SEC's hand and set the wheels in motion for the 4 x 16 conferences and ND having to go into the B1G. Taking UNC and UVA would be nice flagship state schools, but would push ND elsewhere.

If the B1G went UNC and UVA wouldn't it be pushing Notre Dame potentially into the SEC or Pac-12 coffers as the B1G would be full at 16. Thus, the golden cow ND would make either the Pac-12 or SEC a lot more $$$. Isn't the B1G just destabilizing the ACC to force the SEC's hand and set the wheels in motion for the 4 x 16 conferences and ND having to go into the B1G. Taking UNC and UVA would be nice flagship state schools, but would push ND elsewhere.

IF the Carolina/Va report is real - why wouldn't ND be going all in for ACC lest they have to grovel to B1G or join B12?

Unless we have morphed into the Fringe alternate universe, there is no freakin' way ND ever ends up in the SEC.

The SEC could go 3 ways. 1. Go after the best ACC footballs schools Florida State and Clemson even though they would double SEC markets. 2. Go after NC State/ Virginia Tech for new markets and not going ruffle any SEC feathers, or 3. go after Oklahoma/Oklahoma State with the OK schools seeing what the SEC has done for A&M and wanting to leave Texas's influence. Thus, the SEC would be at 16. The Pac-12 would swoop in with either Oklahoma/Oklahoma St/Texas/Texas Tech or Texas/Texas Tech/Kansas/Kansas State and getting to 16 leaving ND forced into the B1G or being left out of all super conferences.

i listened to todays presser when he was talking about prime numbers i swear he said it when talking about haveing 11 teams for a while

i listened to todays presser when he was talking about prime numbers i swear he said it when talking about haveing 11 teams for a while

Probably very wishful thinking but I hope so.

Hit the nail on the head. ND aint going anywhere without SU.

Unless we have morphed into the Fringe alternate universe, there is no freakin' way ND ever ends up in the SEC.
Why not? I don't like it but the SEC with Notre Dame would get more than the B1G by far and away. ND may decide they don't want to be in the B1G and would prefer the South Eastern Conference. Nothing is off the table when its all about the $$$$$$$$$$$.

i listened to todays presser when he was talking about prime numbers i swear he said it when talking about having 11 teams ,14 isnt a prime number(1,3,5,7,11 are prime) for a while

notre dame has no rivals in the sec it would be acc,big10,pac 12, big 12 partial then sec

Have to agree with Alsacs...ND is the end game for B1G 10...So it's ND with Texas, Cuse, Pitt, VA, Uconn, BC, UNC, or whoever ND wants to make the jump>

Why not? I don't like it but the SEC with Notre Dame would get more than the B1G by far and away. ND may decide they don't want to be in the B1G and would prefer the South Eastern Conference. Nothing is off the table when its all about the $$$$$$$$$$$.
It has nothing to do with your liking it or not. ND looks down their nose at the SEC. Money or not. Academics matter to them. That is why it is either the ACC or B1G when (if) they join a conference. Anyone who thinks otherwise hasn't been paying attention. Not trying to be snarky, just telling it like it is. They will NEVER be in the SEC. If that does ever happen, look me up and I will gladly eat crow. But I don't think there's much chance of me having to eat crow.

i listened to todays presser when he was talking about prime numbers i swear he said it when talking about having 11 teams ,14 isnt a prime number(1,3,5,7,11 are prime) for a while
Correct 14 isn't a prime number. 14/2= 7, it isn't a prime number. The B1G at 11 was a prime number. All even numbers but the number 2 are composite numbers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom