My name is Tom and I was wrong... | Syracusefan.com

My name is Tom and I was wrong...

OttosBestFriend

2nd String
All summer, I wanted Drew Allen to win the QB spot. I dreamed of his canon of an arm and ability to deal with pressure.

I read about his pedigree... I read posts from Sooner fans saying he was the real deal but got caught in a numbers game.

And, frankly, I simply doubted that a kid (Hunt) who one service had as the #71-rated QB out of high school - and from NYC for that matter - could get the job done in the ACC with such limited experience.

I mean several sites say Hunt was interested in BC, UCONN, Rutgers and Temple and, according to those sites, NONE of them even offered. I figured, how good he really be????

Well, I was wrong... FLAT. OUT. WRONG.

I feel very badly that Allen will not get another opportunity to showcase his skills for NFL/CFL scouts, but such is life in big time college football.

That said, I'm markedly more excited about the near future of SU football.

So who else can admit they were way off?

We can treat this like an AA meeting. I'll start...

My name is Tom and I was wrong about Terrel Hunt.

I fully expected Drew Allen to come in and decidedly win the starting role. I did not expect to see him throw a bunch of picks, have so many batted balls (especially at his height), not go through progressions, and in general look so lost.

I know Terrel Hunt was the only QB taken his year and the staff (Marrone's staff) was pretty high on him. Then he got in trouble and was kind of lost in the shuffle. Honestly I didn't think much about him going into the spring camp - I figured Loeb would lock it down and then some pecking order of Kinder/Hunt would wind up the backup. He's been a pleasant surprise, especially after such a turbulent offseason.

I want him to be effective but lets see the progression against better opponents. Damn, I feel like flemming would have performed much better with hunt at the helm. Hopefully we can see it next year.

Don't feel bad Tom! Many people had those hopes but proof is hard to dispute. Still think Allen can be a good QB and actually think he will get continued looks this year. I think he actually has to build good relationships with his players something he didn't help himself with by coming to SU more than a week later than he could have. Something he certainly won't help himself with by sitting at the end of the bench by himself when things go wrong.

Whoa lets slow the Hunt train. What he's earned is starts against better competition. It remains to be seen what he can do against ACC quality teams. I hope like crazy he succeeds but I'm cautious.

Whoa lets slow the Hunt train. What he's earned is starts against better competition. It remains to be seen what he can do against ACC quality teams. I hope like crazy he succeeds but I'm cautious.

My friend,Nassib didn't perform well against Maine or Stony Brook. Please stop with the opponent. We're not handing him the Heisman-we're getting excited about the possibilities with Hunt.

LET THE HUNT TRAIN ROLL!!!!!

I did not want Allen. Hunt and Loeb had been here for spring training both had the edge. Allen was learning as he played. SU coaches have to learn to play the hand that they were dealt. Allen probably cost us the Penn State game.

I actually hoped Hunt would win the starting job but knew allen would. And yes, I was also excited about Allen. I hoped for Hunt for a few reasons. One, he was a syracuse guy from jump street. Two, he is only a soph. We can grow with him. And anyone who saw the tape about his mom and him just had to root for the kid. having said all that, I was sure Allen would be the better of the two. No one who saw the spring game said we have a winner. And this kid is big and has a big arm and came from Oklahoma. I just want to win. 6-6 would be just great.

Didn't really know what to expect but guessed Allen would start, based on the fact that he was coming here at all. Made me nervous about what else we had at QB.

Wasn't surprised when he started, but got nervous as hell after the first two games. If he was able to win the job, what was waiting behind him?

Now I'm just confused. But happy that Hunt is starting, given that he was able to look like a D-1A QB this past week.

All summer, I wanted Drew Allen to win the QB spot. I dreamed of his canon of an arm and ability to deal with pressure.

I read about his pedigree... I read posts from Sooner fans saying he was the real deal but got caught in a numbers game.

And, frankly, I simply doubted that a kid (Hunt) who one service had as the #71-rated QB out of high school - and from NYC for that matter - could get the job done in the ACC with such limited experience.

I mean several sites say Hunt was interested in BC, UCONN, Rutgers and Temple and, according to those sites, NONE of them even offered. I figured, how good he really be????

Well, I was wrong... FLAT. OUT. WRONG.

I feel very badly that Allen will not get another opportunity to showcase his skills for NFL/CFL scouts, but such is life in big time college football.

That said, I'm markedly more excited about the near future of SU football.

So who else can admit they were way off?

We can treat this like an AA meeting. I'll start...

My name is Tom and I was wrong about Terrel Hunt.

Did you know that we offered Terrell Hunt a scholarship when he was only 16 years old? To my knowledge he was one of the earliest Syracuse offerees (is that a word) that I'm aware of.

He committed June 30th, 2010 to Syracuse in part because his mother (God rest her soul) wanted him to go to Syracuse because she loved Ernie Davis. Nobody else offered him because there was zero chance in getting him away from Syracuse.

I wanted Hunt before Allen, then wanted Allen. Biggest shock is his inability to read defenses, throw over linemen, make good decisions - while Hunt seems to be better.

Thought 4 years at OU > 2 years as 3rd string here. I was wrong.

hunt looks more natural under pressure-
allen looks flustered

but it is only 1 game-lets see what he has done after clemson

hunt looks more natural under pressure-
allen looks flustered

but it is only 1 game-lets see what he has done after clemson

I understand what you are saying, but let's give him a start first! I think poster mizzou is right in regards to the Ped State game. Opportunity lost...:bang:

I have always rooted for Hunt and thought he was going to win the competition because he I wrongly assumed that a tie would go to him since he has three years left.
I understood the decision to start Allen for many reasons (keep the door open for other transfers in the future; he was expected to have a sharp learning curve; always had Hunt in reserve) but I always wanted Hunt.

That said, Austin Wilson was always my favorite. Don't be surprised if he gives everybody a run for their money next year. You heard it here first!
Go Blue! Or is it still Orange? I can't tell anymore.

I hoped we would have two capable QBs & both would get chances in the first 4 games, and let the better player settle in. Need 2 QBs to make it through a season, unless you are real lucky (or have someone as durable as Nassib).

Thought it was good to bring in Allen, as Kinder & Loeb weren't likely to be serviceable.

Expected our coaches to figure out which one (Allen or Hunt) gave us the better chance to win games. But surprised as heck that the coaches did not see in practice what seemed evident by game 3.

That is still a mystery. Maybe the story will come out at some point.

I didn't go to the pre-season public events but I remember people saying "But it wasn't Allen's fault" when he threw a pick or an incompletion. Maybe it was?

Nothing to base this on, simply wild speculation, but my guess is Allen will perform better when some pressure has been taken off of him, and he can come in for a series here and there. Doesn't ease his disappointment, I'm sure. But perhaps he will be able to relax a little.

I was certainly an Allen backer, but yikes... Hunt is definitely the man now for better or worse. i am shocked by the multiple posts though that seem to ignore the opposition the two qb's played against. Allen did nothing on Saturday, but it was only three possessions. Hunt could have easily gone 3 and out his first two possessions if not for some nice catches on poor throws. The running game also worked.

I do think we have to go with Hunt going forward, but I am not sold on him long term AT ALL. I think we have a number of guys here (and arriving shortly) who will push him next year.

All summer, I wanted Drew Allen to win the QB spot. I dreamed of his canon...

Why am I enjoying the fact that you spent your summer dreaming about drew's canon...not that there's anything wrong with that

I was okay w/ bringing in Allen to keep the pressure on Hunt to improve, but wanted Hunt to win the job b/c he committed to the program out of HS and put in time as a backup here, as well as the fact that he had 3 years of eligibility remaining, so he and the team could grow together. Very interested to see him this weekend. Tulane's not Clemson, but they are a real step up and I think we'll learn a lot. I am optimistic.

I am rooting for the quarterback that plays for Syracuse. I don't care which one it is. I just want the one that's in to lead us to victory!

If Hunt goes 15-20 against Tulane for 200+ and a few TDs and 1 or 0 picks, We'll never see Drew again unless it's mop up duty or Terrel gets hurt, IMO.

If Hunt goes 15-20 against Tulane for 200+ and a few TDs and 1 or 0 picks, We'll never see Drew again unless it's mop up duty or Terrel gets hurt, IMO.

Agreed... and that's how it should be. Allen had his chance to control the QB race and couldn't-- If Hunt can build on Wagner game i'm with you... he should be the man moving forward

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom