My take on the 2015 Season | Syracusefan.com

My take on the 2015 Season

CNYCentralCuse

Walk On
Forgive me for borrowing Tomcat's usual thread title for just this one, but really, it is an easy way to guarantee you'll read it.

This won't be posted on our website until tomorrow, but given what the board means to me and as a small tribute to Orangeyes, I'm posting it here first.

You may not agree with me, that's fine, that's what this board is for. But I hope you enjoy reading it, and we'll see you on the 4th!

WAR DAMN ORANGEYES

2015 Syracuse Orange Football Season Preview

By: Niko Tamurian

It’s that time of year, the State Fair is just about here and football is in the air. You know, the time of year when football fans are clamoring to watch any NFL Preseason game or past college football games on ESPN Classic. Any way you slice it, here in Central New York it’s time to dig in for another season of Syracuse Orange Football.

To do so, for some national analysts is as simple as looking at the games on the schedule and assigning a record based on the perceived difficulty of the opponents and where those games are played. The beginning of my prediction will be my way of assuring Orange fans that they don’t have to believe every prediction that those magazines that come out in June make. I’m not blaming those pundits or saying that they’re wrong it’s just the nature of the beast. When you have to predict the results for 120 or so teams it’s just human nature that when you get to a team that is predicted to be in the bottom-three of the ACC that you start to assume things. It’s a team coming off a 3-9 season that lost most of its defensive starters, sure.

My prediction is to tell you why you can’t judge this year’s Orange team by its cover. Take a closer look.

I felt like every night in my sportscast last fall you had a new story of injury to hear about. I remember a Monday round of golf that ended early for me last October when there was a sudden release from SU that said Terrel Hunt was out for the year AND George McDonald was demoted.

That’s more adversity than some programs see in several years, let alone one weekend.

Orange Head Coach Scott Shafer may have put it best when he said it was “one hell of a freakish year for injuries”. You pile all of that on top of a change at one of the most important coaching positions on staff and suddenly you have a situation where even the hardest fighting team can’t overcome the odds.

Judging by how hard this team absolutely fought until the finish, I think that’s what we had in 2014.

One last point on 2014, despite all of that, Syracuse lost games like the one to NC State where the Orange was in control until a late pick-six changed the tune of things. There was the Duke game, where SU’s 4th string quarterback scored a touchdown that tied the game at 10 and it stayed that way into the 4th quarter. Clemson may have been short-handed, but again, so was Syracuse and the Orange was beating the Tigers at the break and only lost on a late touchdown 16-6.

The point? When you don’t judge the Orange by a record alone, they weren’t that far off from a bowl game.

Now, onto 2015.

Let’s start with the new offense led by Tim Lester. I’ll admit, I chuckle inside a bit when I meet fans who claim he can’t do the job because the offense wasn’t that good in 2014.

Um, did you expect him to completely install his offense midseason?

While I don’t know exactly how the offense will run nor do many in the media I can tell you that the installation of the offense has been going on for almost a year. The players rave about it. Not that a player’s approval alone means that it will be great, but it does mean they’re confident in it. They believe in it.

Belief is a powerful thing. Comradery is a powerful thing.

This Orange team has both.

Perhaps the most important position on the field has its leader back in Terrel Hunt. Terrel is a year older, he’s battle-scarred. He knows this is his last year at SU to make his mark and to pave the way for his future. It wasn’t long ago way-too-early NFL mockups had him as a player to watch. When that was brought to Hunt’s attention in 2014 he said that wasn’t good enough, he wanted to be #1.

He’s going to do his best to prove that this year.

Combine his return, with a new scheme that’s been bought into, along with a veteran offensive line and explosive playmakers like Brisly Estime and Steve Ishmael and suddenly SU’s offense looks mighty impressive.

To the defense, again, I’m not going to pretend I know football like any of the coaches or like my “Orange Zone” co-host Damien Rhodes or our special analyst Dan Conley (all of whom you can watch Thursdays at 7 on NBC-3 during the season….plus our season kickoff 6:30-7:30 on Thursday September 3rd). But it has been my job to cover this team as a main focus since 2007 and if there’s one thing I’ll buy into it’s a Scott Shafer/Chuck Bullough defense. Certainly there are depth concerns on the line and in the secondary but the linebackers are solid. The defenses that Coach Shafer led early his tenure didn’t always have a TON of seniority (2011 comes to mind) yet they always typically found a way to keep Syracuse in the game.

That said, it’s easy to say there can/will be growing pains but it’s not something you can write off right away as a major issue for this team.

Given all of the previous 900-something words, let’s get to the actual predictions:

In the interest of full disclosure, here are my previous predictions with the actual results:

2010 prediction: 7-5, Pinstripe Bowl, Result: 7-5 Pinstripe Bowl

2011 prediction: 8-4, Belk Bowl, Result: 5-7 No Bowl

2012 prediction: 7-5, Beef O’ Brady Bowl, Result: 7-5 Pinstripe Bowl

2013 prediction: 7-5, 4-4 in ACC, Military Bowl, Result: 6-6, 4-4 in ACC Texas Bowl

2014 prediction: 8-4, 5-3 in ACC, Sun Bowl, Result: 3-9, 1-6 in ACC No Bowl

As you can see, in three of the five years I’ve been pretty darn close. Maybe the bowl isn’t right but the mark overall has been close. The two years I’ve been off? Those were seasons that were anomalies (hoping the same is true in 2014). The parallels with both injuries and assistant coaches being dismissed are oddly similar between 2011 and 2014 as well.

2015:

Syracuse 38, Rhode Island 13

Rhode Island is not Villanova. I don’t think anyone envisioned that close of a game in 2014 but they knew ‘Nova was tough. ‘Nova only lost in the Elite 8 of the FCS playoffs because star quarterback John Robertson was out. Expect Syracuse to swiftly knock out Rhode Island, where Coach Shafer began his career.

Syracuse 24, Wake Forest 13

Wake Forest will be improved. So will Syracuse. This is a perfect way for SU to kick off conference play, at the Carrier Dome with a team that it should beat. Wake Forest won’t go down as easily as they did in Winston-Salem in 2014, but Syracuse will be favored and win.

Syracuse 35, Central Michigan 20

Central Michigan will always pose a bit of danger but again Syracuse is ahead of this team and really always should be. The leadership and explosiveness on offense will be enough to overpower a decent Chippewa team.

Syracuse starts 3-0, a CRUCIAL point for this season.

LSU 41, Syracuse 24

This game will have the Dome rocking. Syracuse will be ready to go but at this point it’s hard to predict an upset. It’s not out of the realm of possibility, but LSU will most likely take this one

The bye week in October as opposed to exactly a month sooner will do WONDERS this year. No 9-game stretches. Thank Goodness (if you check out my 2014 prediction, I predicted the long stretch would cause injuries)

Syracuse 21, South Florida 10

Winning these early season games are crucial for the Orange. South Florida is a very winnable game for the Orange and giving Scott Shafer 2-weeks to prepare for the Bulls could help immensely.

Syracuse 27, Virginia 22

The Wahoos provide the most difficult early season game outside of the LSU matchup. I’ll admit, this one could go either way. One reason I’m giving it to the Orange is based on several people I talked to at ACC Football Kickoff at Pinehurst Resort in July. To a person, everyone that covers Virginia that I spoke with say the Cavs will be in rough shape this season and that Syracuse will win. Now, I realize that this could be just based on a disappointing past few seasons, but it has to mean something, right?

Pittsburgh 28, Syracuse 21

Another “winnable” game for Syracuse, you could even flip-flop this game with the Virginia contest. The reason I’m picking it this way is because there’s still too much unknown about how Syracuse’s defensive line will perform this year. James Connor, the reigning ACC Player of the Year is back, while SU contained him in 2014 it remains to be seen how 2015 will shakeout.

Florida State 35, Syracuse 17

Florida State is, well, Florida State. I think Everett Golston will help more than people think for the Seminoles.

Louisville 31, Syracuse 21

Chalk this up as an early, potential, upset alert. For this, I’ll stop short of that because Louisville is awfully tough and playing at their place adds onto that. Don’t be shocked if Syracuse snags an upset in this game though.

`Clemson 45, Syracuse 28

If DeShaun Watson can stay healthy then look out. Clemson was predicted to win the ACC for a reason. As Syracuse proved last season it can hang with the Tigers, and if Watson’s durability becomes a factor again this will be immensely closer.

Syracuse 28, NC State 27

Another thing that people at the ACC Football Kickoff kept telling me was that this is NC State’s year. That the Wolfpack will make the next step and this that and the other thing. I’m not disputing that they’ll be good, but I’m not buying that they are light years ahead of Syracuse based on how one season transpired. Yes, Jacoby Brissett is the real-deal. Who says Terrel Hunt isn’t? The guy was injured. Last year NC State won by a touchdown in a game where SU was already quite depleted because of injury. So yes, NC State may be good, but I’m not about to say they’ll definitely be better than SU in 2015.

Syracuse will be back in a bowl. Even ESPN’s Brett McMurphy says it’s the Orange is a bowl.

Syracuse 38, Boston College 35

With both teams bowl-eligible, nothing but pride is on the line in this game. SU vs. BC is quickly gaining stature in where it stands as far as a rivalry is concerned. SU is at the Carrier Dome and has the advantage.

Record: 7-5 overall, 4-4 in ACC play.

I’ll admit, I’m still grasping how the ACC Bowl layout works. Given how SU draws there, I’ll go with the Pinstripe Bowl

P.S.- Please feel free to comment, I may use your response on the air tomorrow in my sportscast on NBC-3 and CBS-5.

Forgive me for borrowing Tomcat's usual thread title for just this one, but really, it is an easy way to guarantee you'll read it.

This won't be posted on our website until tomorrow, but given what the board means to me and as a small tribute to Orangeyes, I'm posting it here first.

You may not agree with me, that's fine, that's what this board is for. But I hope you enjoy reading it, and we'll see you on the 4th!

WAR DAMN ORANGEYES

2015 Syracuse Orange Football Season Preview

By: Niko Tamurian

It’s that time of year, the State Fair is just about here and football is in the air. You know, the time of year when football fans are clamoring to watch any NFL Preseason game or past college football games on ESPN Classic. Any way you slice it, here in Central New York it’s time to dig in for another season of Syracuse Orange Football.

To do so, for some national analysts is as simple as looking at the games on the schedule and assigning a record based on the perceived difficulty of the opponents and where those games are played. The beginning of my prediction will be my way of assuring Orange fans that they don’t have to believe every prediction that those magazines that come out in June make. I’m not blaming those pundits or saying that they’re wrong it’s just the nature of the beast. When you have to predict the results for 120 or so teams it’s just human nature that when you get to a team that is predicted to be in the bottom-three of the ACC that you start to assume things. It’s a team coming off a 3-9 season that lost most of its defensive starters, sure.

My prediction is to tell you why you can’t judge this year’s Orange team by its cover. Take a closer look.

I felt like every night in my sportscast last fall you had a new story of injury to hear about. I remember a Monday round of golf that ended early for me last October when there was a sudden release from SU that said Terrel Hunt was out for the year AND George McDonald was demoted.

That’s more adversity than some programs see in several years, let alone one weekend.

Orange Head Coach Scott Shafer may have put it best when he said it was “one hell of a freakish year for injuries”. You pile all of that on top of a change at one of the most important coaching positions on staff and suddenly you have a situation where even the hardest fighting team can’t overcome the odds.

Judging by how hard this team absolutely fought until the finish, I think that’s what we had in 2014.

One last point on 2014, despite all of that, Syracuse lost games like the one to NC State where the Orange was in control until a late pick-six changed the tune of things. There was the Duke game, where SU’s 4th string quarterback scored a touchdown that tied the game at 10 and it stayed that way into the 4th quarter. Clemson may have been short-handed, but again, so was Syracuse and the Orange was beating the Tigers at the break and only lost on a late touchdown 16-6.

The point? When you don’t judge the Orange by a record alone, they weren’t that far off from a bowl game.

Now, onto 2015.

Let’s start with the new offense led by Tim Lester. I’ll admit, I chuckle inside a bit when I meet fans who claim he can’t do the job because the offense wasn’t that good in 2014.

Um, did you expect him to completely install his offense midseason?

While I don’t know exactly how the offense will run nor do many in the media I can tell you that the installation of the offense has been going on for almost a year. The players rave about it. Not that a player’s approval alone means that it will be great, but it does mean they’re confident in it. They believe in it.

Belief is a powerful thing. Comradery is a powerful thing.

This Orange team has both.

Perhaps the most important position on the field has its leader back in Terrel Hunt. Terrel is a year older, he’s battle-scarred. He knows this is his last year at SU to make his mark and to pave the way for his future. It wasn’t long ago way-too-early NFL mockups had him as a player to watch. When that was brought to Hunt’s attention in 2014 he said that wasn’t good enough, he wanted to be #1.

He’s going to do his best to prove that this year.

Combine his return, with a new scheme that’s been bought into, along with a veteran offensive line and explosive playmakers like Brisly Estime and Steve Ishmael and suddenly SU’s offense looks mighty impressive.

To the defense, again, I’m not going to pretend I know football like any of the coaches or like my “Orange Zone” co-host Damien Rhodes or our special analyst Dan Conley (all of whom you can watch Thursdays at 7 on NBC-3 during the season….plus our season kickoff 6:30-7:30 on Thursday September 3rd). But it has been my job to cover this team as a main focus since 2007 and if there’s one thing I’ll buy into it’s a Scott Shafer/Chuck Bullough defense. Certainly there are depth concerns on the line and in the secondary but the linebackers are solid. The defenses that Coach Shafer led early his tenure didn’t always have a TON of seniority (2011 comes to mind) yet they always typically found a way to keep Syracuse in the game.

That said, it’s easy to say there can/will be growing pains but it’s not something you can write off right away as a major issue for this team.

Given all of the previous 900-something words, let’s get to the actual predictions:

In the interest of full disclosure, here are my previous predictions with the actual results:

2010 prediction: 7-5, Pinstripe Bowl, Result: 7-5 Pinstripe Bowl

2011 prediction: 8-4, Belk Bowl, Result: 5-7 No Bowl

2012 prediction: 7-5, Beef O’ Brady Bowl, Result: 7-5 Pinstripe Bowl

2013 prediction: 7-5, 4-4 in ACC, Military Bowl, Result: 6-6, 4-4 in ACC Texas Bowl

2014 prediction: 8-4, 5-3 in ACC, Sun Bowl, Result: 3-9, 1-6 in ACC No Bowl

As you can see, in three of the five years I’ve been pretty darn close. Maybe the bowl isn’t right but the mark overall has been close. The two years I’ve been off? Those were seasons that were anomalies (hoping the same is true in 2014). The parallels with both injuries and assistant coaches being dismissed are oddly similar between 2011 and 2014 as well.

2015:

Syracuse 38, Rhode Island 13

Rhode Island is not Villanova. I don’t think anyone envisioned that close of a game in 2014 but they knew ‘Nova was tough. ‘Nova only lost in the Elite 8 of the FCS playoffs because star quarterback John Robertson was out. Expect Syracuse to swiftly knock out Rhode Island, where Coach Shafer began his career.

Syracuse 24, Wake Forest 13

Wake Forest will be improved. So will Syracuse. This is a perfect way for SU to kick off conference play, at the Carrier Dome with a team that it should beat. Wake Forest won’t go down as easily as they did in Winston-Salem in 2014, but Syracuse will be favored and win.

Syracuse 35, Central Michigan 20

Central Michigan will always pose a bit of danger but again Syracuse is ahead of this team and really always should be. The leadership and explosiveness on offense will be enough to overpower a decent Chippewa team.

Syracuse starts 3-0, a CRUCIAL point for this season.

LSU 41, Syracuse 24

This game will have the Dome rocking. Syracuse will be ready to go but at this point it’s hard to predict an upset. It’s not out of the realm of possibility, but LSU will most likely take this one

The bye week in October as opposed to exactly a month sooner will do WONDERS this year. No 9-game stretches. Thank Goodness (if you check out my 2014 prediction, I predicted the long stretch would cause injuries)

Syracuse 21, South Florida 10

Winning these early season games are crucial for the Orange. South Florida is a very winnable game for the Orange and giving Scott Shafer 2-weeks to prepare for the Bulls could help immensely.

Syracuse 27, Virginia 22

The Wahoos provide the most difficult early season game outside of the LSU matchup. I’ll admit, this one could go either way. One reason I’m giving it to the Orange is based on several people I talked to at ACC Football Kickoff at Pinehurst Resort in July. To a person, everyone that covers Virginia that I spoke with say the Cavs will be in rough shape this season and that Syracuse will win. Now, I realize that this could be just based on a disappointing past few seasons, but it has to mean something, right?

Pittsburgh 28, Syracuse 21

Another “winnable” game for Syracuse, you could even flip-flop this game with the Virginia contest. The reason I’m picking it this way is because there’s still too much unknown about how Syracuse’s defensive line will perform this year. James Connor, the reigning ACC Player of the Year is back, while SU contained him in 2014 it remains to be seen how 2015 will shakeout.

Florida State 35, Syracuse 17

Florida State is, well, Florida State. I think Everett Golston will help more than people think for the Seminoles.

Louisville 31, Syracuse 21

Chalk this up as an early, potential, upset alert. For this, I’ll stop short of that because Louisville is awfully tough and playing at their place adds onto that. Don’t be shocked if Syracuse snags an upset in this game though.

`Clemson 45, Syracuse 28

If DeShaun Watson can stay healthy then look out. Clemson was predicted to win the ACC for a reason. As Syracuse proved last season it can hang with the Tigers, and if Watson’s durability becomes a factor again this will be immensely closer.

Syracuse 28, NC State 27

Another thing that people at the ACC Football Kickoff kept telling me was that this is NC State’s year. That the Wolfpack will make the next step and this that and the other thing. I’m not disputing that they’ll be good, but I’m not buying that they are light years ahead of Syracuse based on how one season transpired. Yes, Jacoby Brissett is the real-deal. Who says Terrel Hunt isn’t? The guy was injured. Last year NC State won by a touchdown in a game where SU was already quite depleted because of injury. So yes, NC State may be good, but I’m not about to say they’ll definitely be better than SU in 2015.

Syracuse will be back in a bowl. Even ESPN’s Brett McMurphy says it’s the Orange is a bowl.

Syracuse 38, Boston College 35

With both teams bowl-eligible, nothing but pride is on the line in this game. SU vs. BC is quickly gaining stature in where it stands as far as a rivalry is concerned. SU is at the Carrier Dome and has the advantage.

Record: 7-5 overall, 4-4 in ACC play.

I’ll admit, I’m still grasping how the ACC Bowl layout works. Given how SU draws there, I’ll go with the Pinstripe Bowl

P.S.- Please feel free to comment, I may use your response on the air tomorrow in my sportscast on NBC-3 and CBS-5.

I love your optimism. Looking at your recent predictions, it looks like you tend to be optimistic about SU football. Honestly, I am too. There's a fine line between 7-5 and 5-7. Let's hope that we are on the positive side of things. Go Cuse!!

It's a vwry realistic and accurate evaluation of the team and last season. I like your prediction but I think they also beat Pittsb because of the coaching change. I'm predicting 8-4.

IF the offense can score the points that you think they can, then I agree that your predicted 7-5 record is attainable, but it's a big IF.

I believe this to be close Though I have one more win and am hoping for the Bahamas bowl
Seriously...even if eligible to go there...we don't want that bowl...I don't think is even possible.

Orange fans would have just been there a few weeks earlier (for hoops) and the Bahamas is a captive audience with high travel costs.

I predict if we finish 7-5 it will either be the Pinstripe or the Military Bowl. The St. Pete Bowl is only a conditional bowl this year for the ACC.

My predictions are far more accurate than any professional sports books. I have devised a fool proof system that even a child can master. I was told that I should not divulge this information, because in the wrong hands, it is dangerous!

But I love you guys, so here it is...

Syracuse will win every game where the digit value is higher on their side of the score board when the 4th quarter clock hits all zeros.

Please do not share this information!

I am risking it ALL to tell you!

Great stuff Niko.

I love the record projection, but I don't see us going over .500 in the regular season unless we're averaging better than 30 points per game. Your scores for Syracuse average less than 30, so if we're clawing out wins just getting in to a bowl would be a great achievement.

Seriously...even if eligible to go there...we don't want that bowl...I don't think is even possible.

Orange fans would have just been there a few weeks earlier (for hoops) and the Bahamas is a captive audience with high travel costs.

I predict if we finish 7-5 it will either be the Pinstripe or the Military Bowl. The St. Pete Bowl is only a conditional bowl this year for the ACC.
There you go crushing my dreams with logic

I love the record projection, but I don't see us going over .500 in the regular season unless we're averaging better than 30 points per game. Your scores for Syracuse average less than 30, so if we're clawing out wins just getting in to a bowl would be a great achievement.

In the last 5 years we've only gone over 30 once. We've gone better than .500 in the regular season twice in that time.

He's predicting our 2nd greatest offensive output in the last 6 years at 26.8, while giving up more points (25.8) than our 5 year average (24.5).

Most of the late season games he's predicting here are "clawing out wins" ... which given history, is more likely than not. We've not been steamrolling opponents in that time frame (even when we averaged 30pts - late wins vs Mizzou and USF come to mind).

His prediction is fine. Don't discount our d. Averaging 26.8 would be right on the edge between 6 and 7 wins, historically. That's not a crazy prediction at all.

i hope u are right,but i do not see the offense scoring as much as you predict. they will struggle with everyone except ri and wf. every other game except clemson and fla. state is a toss up, and su will be on the losing end of most of those. i see 4-8

In the last 5 years we've only gone over 30 once. We've gone better than .500 in the regular season twice in that time.

He's predicting our 2nd greatest offensive output in the last 6 years at 26.8, while giving up more points (25.8) than our 5 year average (24.5).

Most of the late season games he's predicting here are "clawing out wins" ... which given history, is more likely than not. We've not been steamrolling opponents in that time frame (even when we averaged 30pts - late wins vs Mizzou and USF come to mind).

His prediction is fine. Don't discount our d. Averaging 26.8 would be right on the edge between 6 and 7 wins, historically. That's not a crazy prediction at all.
So what you're saying is, in the last 5 years we've had a winning record 100% of the regulat seasons where we've averaged more than 30 points per game, but in the seasons where we've averaged less than 30 points per game we've had a winning regular season record 20% of the time.

Small sample sizes yadda yadda yadda, but if people want 7 the road to that number of wins is scoring points if recent history is any judge.

So what you're saying is, in the last 5 years we've had a winning record 100% of the regulat seasons where we've averaged more than 30 points per game, but in the seasons where we've averaged less than 30 points per game we've had a winning regular season record 20% of the time.

Small sample sizes yadda yadda yadda, but if people want 7 the road to that number of wins is scoring points if recent history is any judge.

Not arguing that point. Scoring more points always helps you win games :). Simply arguing that "if we're clawing out wins just getting in to a bowl would be a great achievement" is exactly what he is predicting. And that the numbers he's rolling with are not crazy, but very much in line with our history.

---

I wouldn't be shocked to see us averaging 30 and holding teams to our 5 year average of 24pts. Which would put us in the 6-8 regular season wins.

I agree we won't go to the Bahamas and it is expensive as hell. If we're eigible, I also wouldn't rule out the Quick Lane in Detroit against a BiG opponent.

I've said it numerous times before, but I'll say it again. NCState is sooooo overrated! I explained it in another thread, but I'll put the bullet points here for those who might have missed it.

They played an awful OOC schedule (which they are repeating this year) winning 4 of their games against overmatched teams.
It included Georgia Southern, ODU and Presbyterian at home and @USF.

They were beat by the "big 3" (FSU, Clemson, Ville) in the Atlantic by a combined 68 points, Cuse lost by a combined 50 with all of our injuries and Hunt only played in most of 1 game. We started a 170 lb. freshman QB against Clemson and FSU.

The other point was the one mentioned in Niko's post. They barely beat us when we were absolutely dismantled by injuries.

Their QB Brisset is ok, but he's over-hyped too when you actually look into his stats. His best attribute is that he doesn't turn the ball over, but he's far from an elite QB. He's very similar to Hunt in the running ability department. Let's take a look at some telling stats.

G Att Comp Pct. Yds. Yds/Att TD/Int Rating Att/Gm Yds/Gm
vs. Non-Conference 5 145 98 67.6 1267 8.7 11 / 1 164.64 29.0 253.4

vs. Conference 8 225 123 54.7 1339 6.0 12 / 4 118.70 28.1 167.4

Points per game OOC - 39.0 ppg Points per game ACC - 24.6 ppg Difference of -14 ppg scored vs. ACC
Points Allowed OOC - 20.2 ppg Points Allowed ACC - 31.3 ppg Difference of +11 ppg allowed vs. ACC

As you can see here, I bolded the stats that were major differences between their OOC games (includes bowl game against UCF) and his ACC games. Huge differences.
I'll also add that his passing yards were almost even either way, but he played 3 more conference games than OOC.

orange_in_VA said:
I've said it numerous times before, but I'll say it again. NCState is sooooo overrated! I explained it in another thread, but I'll put the bullet points here for those who might have missed it. They played an awful OOC schedule (which they are repeating this year) winning 4 of their games against overmatched teams. It included Georgia Southern, ODU and Presbyterian at home and @USF. They were beat by the "big 3" (FSU, Clemson, Ville) in the Atlantic by a combined 68 points, Cuse lost by a combined 50 with all of our injuries and Hunt only played in most of 1 game. We started a 170 lb. freshman QB against Clemson and FSU. The other point was the one mentioned in Niko's post. They barely beat us when we were absolutely dismantled by injuries. Their QB Brisset is ok, but he's over-hyped too when you actually look into his stats. His best attribute is that he doesn't turn the ball over, but he's far from an elite QB. He's very similar to Hunt in the running ability department. Let's take a look at some telling stats. G Att Comp Pct. Yds. Yds/Att TD/Int Rating Att/Gm Yds/Gm vs. Non-Conference 5 145 98 67.6 1267 8.7 11 / 1 164.64 29.0 253.4 vs. Conference 8 225 123 54.7 1339 6.0 12 / 4 118.70 28.1 167.4 Points per game OOC - 39.0 ppg Points per game ACC - 24.6 ppg Difference of -14 ppg scored vs. ACC Points Allowed OOC - 20.2 ppg Points Allowed ACC - 31.3 ppg Difference of +11 ppg allowed vs. ACC As you can see here, I bolded the stats that were major differences between their OOC games (includes bowl game against UCF) and his ACC games. Huge differences. I'll also add that his passing yards were almost even either way, but he played 3 more conference games than OOC.

I can't like this enough. ESPN is toying with touting them as a dark horse to win the division.

They've lost their minds.

Even the best defensive systems with the best defensive coordinators struggle with too many personnel losses in the offseason. I don't think we can rely on historical defensive performance this year. But... I do think we'll be able to again, probably as early as next year. The reinforcements just need more time in the oven.

We're 1 or 2 key injuries from this year's D turning into last year's O.

My concern with the schedule is how unforgiving games 4-10 on the schedule are.

That said, if everything goes perfectly, I could actually see the team at 5-1 after 6 games.

At the risk of oversimplifying, the USF game may be the game that ultimately determines the fate of this season. If a 3-1 (or 2-2) Syracuse team can win that game after what I expect will be an LSU loss, I believe that it can probably peck its way to 6 or 7 wins. If, however, if loses that game, I fear it may be the start of a slide they may have a real hard time recovering from.

My concern with the schedule is how unforgiving games 4-10 on the schedule are.

That said, if everything goes perfectly, I could actually see the team at 5-1 after 6 games.

At the risk of oversimplifying, the USF game may be the game that ultimately determines the fate of this season. If a 3-1 (or 2-2) Syracuse team can win that game after what I expect will be an LSU loss, I believe that it can probably peck its way to 6 or 7 wins. If, however, if loses that game, I fear it may be the start of a slide they may have a real hard time recovering from.

I honestly expect us to be at least 5-1 to start the year. The only game we should lose (I'm not completely sold on that) is LSU.

Not arguing that point. Scoring more points always helps you win games :). Simply arguing that "if we're clawing out wins just getting in to a bowl would be a great achievement" is exactly what he is predicting. And that the numbers he's rolling with are not crazy, but very much in line with our history.

---

I wouldn't be shocked to see us averaging 30 and holding teams to our 5 year average of 24pts. Which would put us in the 6-8 regular season wins.
Let me amend it to this then - if we're clawing out wins in low scoring affairs, I think 6 wins is a major accomplishment. If we're clawing out wins in high scoring affairs, I think we win 7. We need to give our defense more margin for error. If we don't, it's going to be a really difficult season.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom