My Take | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

My Take

Very humid in the Dome yet I can't recall a CMU player cramping while we ran up to the line.

I also don't recall a CMU player cramping as the 12th man was sprinting off the field.

Weird.
It's that Michigan humidity that has them in better condition. Far worse than anything Murfreesboro, TN could even imagine.

I drove in from CT to take in the game. I usually get to 1 or 2 games during the season. I have been in the Dome before for early season uncomfortably hot games but Saturday seemed exceptionally brutal (as I was afraid it would be). Very hot and I was sweating badly. Thought of leaving at halftime but after drinking a ton of water decided to stick it out...and that turned out to be a good decision as we dominated and had a lot of big plays. In the future I will skip these early games in the heat. It's just too uncomfortable.

I stayed at the Sheraton for the night before heading back on Sunday. After coming back after the game and showering, I eventually went down to the lounge and the officiating crew from the game was there hanging out. After noticing my SU shirt and asking how I liked the game, they explained who they were and we started talking. First thing one of them brings up was how hot and humid it was in the Dome. Then he asked if the university was trying to save money by turning off the AC. When I explained the Carrier Dome is not air conditioned they couldn't believe it. Said the university needs to change that. Thought their reaction was funny. They thought we have some talented players but need to clean up the personal foul stuff.

Just did an ACC stadium re-entry google search. The first 4 schools that came up had the same policy (Duke, UVa, VT, FSU). Wake Forest and NC State allow people to leave and return.
shocking that tobacco row schools would allow people to leave and return

I thought it was one of the least hot games i have been too in many years when its been that hot outside.. we went in expecting crazy heat and it was far from it..

tolerate conditions like we gad to sit through Saturday. Conditions were bad and I was soaked with sweat all game long.

Good grief! You do realize that the forecast for Baton Rouge is 88 degrees with 65% humidity (yes, temperature going down at night) and that Southern teams play in that routinely, and their fans sit in that routinely as well? In jackets and ties? I think I am now starting to understand upstate NY complaining.
Do you go to games?

I thought it was one of the least hot games i have been too in many years when its been that hot outside.. we went in expecting crazy heat and it was far from it..
It wasn't too hot at first. Just before gametime it seemed tolerable, but the heat continued to build. Definitely needed to hydrate.

Just did an ACC stadium re-entry google search. The first 4 schools that came up had the same policy (Duke, UVa, VT, FSU). Wake Forest and NC State allow people to leave and return.

Add Clemson to that list as well. Experienced it first hand last year and in '14 as well. Although, they now use a voucher system...

...In the future I will skip these early games in the heat. It's just too uncomfortable...

...Then he asked if the university was trying to save money by turning off the AC. When I explained the Carrier Dome is not air conditioned they couldn't believe it. Said the university needs to change that. Thought their reaction was funny...
We rationalize this AD's ineptitude because we are out of touch. Everyone else catches on really quick. Clueless idiots...but like most idiots, useful.

It's all about security. Anybody coming back in needs to be re-screened.
Which means that all the staff that do that, would need to remain in place for the entirety of the event.

The vast majority of venues already have similar policies - or will soon.

You're at a football game. Be AT the football game.
Smokers - maybe seeing that you can't live without cancer sticks for 4 hours, will make you rethink your life choices.

I suspect you're correct that it's a security issue...but it does have some negative impact. My brother-in-law used to take his kids to football games at another school, then would drop them back off at his RV at halftime to watch movies and be back in his seat for kickoff. That school instituted a no re-entry policy, and his kids were too young to last through the game - so they stopped going. His kids are old enough now that a 4 hour game would be manageable...but they're used to watching them on TV and don't see a reason to go.

A lot of the recent policy changes that have occurred at sporting venues make great sense in isolation - but taken as a whole they make an in stadium experience less enjoyable. When you're already trying to compete with an increasingly enjoyable at home game watching experience, these policies make an already difficult task of attracting fans that much harder.

don't smoke either(former smoker), but leave the dome for fresh air as several other people i know do. maybe that is part of the reason student attendance is so bad is they cannot get back in??? just askin. i refused to go sat. as i saw the weather report and knew dome would be oppressive.
I think that I read or heard that the entire campus is now smoke-free which might account for people not being able to leave the Dome. :confused:

Cut the roof off the place and everyone can have all the fresh air they can stand.
Yeah, but then people will complain that it's too cold to watch games outside later in the season or that it might rain so they can't go, or there was too much fresh air so they had to stay home and mow their lawn. There is no pleasing everyone!

Plus, basketball would need a different venue... not sure how snow on the basketball court would play out...

I'd have had to leave last year's Louisville game if we couldn't go outside. Had to be 100 inside, both temperature and humidity. Half of my group (the ladies) spent most of the game on the balcony, gasping for enough breath to gab with.

It's all about security. Anybody coming back in needs to be re-screened.
Which means that all the staff that do that, would need to remain in place for the entirety of the event.

The vast majority of venues already have similar policies - or will soon.

You're at a football game. Be AT the football game.
Smokers - maybe seeing that you can't live without cancer sticks for 4 hours, will make you rethink your life choices.
most comments have nothing to do with smokers!!! why do you lump everyone in with smokers????please do not lecture us being at a football game. most of us have been at at football games like forever, myself since 1960.

My guess is the smoke free campus made this a decision that was made above the AD. You're not just policing the doors, you're policing the smoking, which you know people are going to fire up.
so everyone pays the price??? i don't care who smokes as i can and do avoid it.

thats nice but they are outside. most of us would probably stay there if there was ac.

Because there are people above him that essentially forced this decision?

Are my posts being translated in Chinese after I click reply?
That excuse is really getting old...
Regards,
Dr. Tucker

I kept looking at the scores on the ribbon board and comparing them to the ones on my I-phone. My eye phone had finals in games the ribbon board said were in the second quarter. Doesn't anybody at SU have an I-phone they can look at?

I kept looking at the scores on the ribbon board and comparing them to the ones on my I-phone. My eye phone had finals in games the ribbon board said were in the second quarter. Doesn't anybody at SU have an I-phone they can look at?
I just keep thinking how expensive could it be to hire an intern or get somebody on work study to update these things.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom