My Take | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

My Take

On the second one it looked like the right side of the oline moved and drew our guy offside. But the refs missed it and Colgate got away with one and it also got them a first. That sequence happened to be the first several plays I had a chance to watch and I my reaction was “great so much for cleaning up the penalties”. But then the D blasted them on the next three plays forcing a punt and I think that was the punt that Adams caught like a wide receiver and returned to the Colgate 30 and it was off to the races. I wasn’t paying too much attention but I don’t think I saw a lot of penalties after that sequence.

I’ve always said that the last several years Dino’s defenses were another level better than his offenses and it looks like that will be the case this year as well.

The offense is talented, but not the same level as the D. I think Beck called a great game… it was tempo with a plan and he forced Colgate to defend the entire field. It wasn’t just horizontal passes to the sideline. And it was not just run the same play 3x in a row, just really fast which seems to have been the strategy under previous OCs. Nice use of the running game and passing game as complements to each other.
Beck's game management was a level above Anae's

If you can't field enough of your own students for the university band, this is something that the university should be really looking into.
Or they could supplement the band with SU alumni who would still like to be in the band. I suspect there are folks on this board who would sign up in a heartbeat. Not mentioning any names…

"Babers said Saturday that More sprained his ankle this week and that the team held him out to prevent worsening it."

There's our answer.
Talked to More’s dad at the tailgate. He said Bleich stepped on Joe’s foot and he rolled his ankle a bit. Nothing serious. Said Joe has been cross trained at all positions on the OLine except center.

Nice writeup Tom.

What was the deal with the 2 offsides against the special Team punt rush? Illegal formation and another one? Just curious because it just seemed odd or is there a new rule?
First one was an illegal formation on the defense. Someone lined up over the long snapper apparently.

Talked to More’s dad at the tailgate. He said Bleich stepped on Joe’s foot and he rolled his ankle a bit. Nothing serious. Said Joe has been cross trained at all positions on the OLine except center.
That’s good to hear, selfishly i’m hoping he’s back this week for WMU so the front 5 can gel in game a bit for Purdue the following week. Completely understand if he’s not out there however obviously.

On the quad prior to the game, the director of the SUMB mentioned that the band members were from SU, ESF, OCC, Lemoyne, and Oswego. This was news to me. Is that a new thing?
No, not new. I have some friends whose kids were at OCC and Lemoyne who were in the band. The girl I knew from OCC did transfer to SU for her last 2 years and still played in the band. It does seem rather sad that the university can’t find more band members but it is a lot of time and work for little reward. I know I donated some for the band to get new uniforms about 5 years ago so I don’t know the level of support they get. Lots of local high schools have great bands and it would be nice if there was a local feeder program and some type of support for these musicians to enroll and play at SU after HS graduation.

I think some of the pass blocking issues were caused by the QB locking in a place to throw the ball and not reading the field at times.. there were some wideopen long pass plays we didnt get because we were trying to force a play and while it worked against the Colgate D it might not against teams with a better pass rush.

Film will help with this hopefully

"Babers said Saturday that More sprained his ankle this week and that the team held him out to prevent worsening it."

There's our answer.
When I listen to Dino speak about injuries, it’s Ike listening to an airline pilot on arrival times - he’s generally telling me something which is directionally correct, but I feel somehow it’s only partially true and it’s more than likely to work out worse than it’s been explained.

Last edited:
Oline once again appears to be the weak link out of the gate. I’m haven’t been this excited for our WRs in a long time.
Agree but this is the strongest our “weak” link has looked like in forever, and the rest of our links look solid or better than they’ve been in a long time as well.

This could’ve been a “dial a score” game if not for the two turnovers in a run centric game plan at the end. Thought the OL was fine and will be ok, not stellar but, as always around here, barring injuries will be serviceable to let the other parts lead to a special season.

Last edited:
When I listen to Dino it’s Ike listening to an airline pilot - he’s generally telling me something which is directionally correct, but I feel somehow it’s only partially true and it’s more than likely to work out worse than it’s been explained.
Remind me to never to be on the same flight you are on, if you’ve had experienced pilots only tell you something that is just partially true which worked out worse than it’s been explained. :)

Beck's game management was a level above Anae's
No delay of game penalties or having to waste timeouts because couldn't get the play in. I think Anae calling things held the team back last year.
He has no imagination, to try different things.
It was refreshing to see Beck use the entire field in calling plays.
We didn't get the 1st down handoff up the middle for 1 yard every time.

Remind me to never to be on the same flight as you if you’ve experienced pilots who only tell you something that is only partially true and has worked out worse than it’s been explained. :)
Funny, edited for clarity.

Damn it Bleich!

star trek spock GIF

Bleich ;)

No delay of game penalties or having to waste timeouts because couldn't get the play in. I think Anae calling things held the team back last year.
He has no imagination, to try different things.
It was refreshing to see Beck use the entire field in calling plays.
We didn't get the 1st down handoff up the middle for 1 yard every time.
The best thing Beck did last night was go back to the same play on the slant to Hatcher after he dropped the ball that was thrown behind him by CDRW.

He saw that was wide open and a bad throw prevented the big play the first time around. Two plays later he went back to that same play call and got a huge gainer from it.

No, not new. I have some friends whose kids were at OCC and Lemoyne who were in the band. The girl I knew from OCC did transfer to SU for her last 2 years and still played in the band. It does seem rather sad that the university can’t find more band members but it is a lot of time and work for little reward. I know I donated some for the band to get new uniforms about 5 years ago so I don’t know the level of support they get. Lots of local high schools have great bands and it would be nice if there was a local feeder program and some type of support for these musicians to enroll and play at SU after HS graduation.
The academic demands on students today are tougher than they were when I was in the band, 30 years ago. And the football program is far worse.

Being in the SUMB is a part time job. Those kids are putting in 20-ish hours a week. If you’re a student on scholarship or financial aid/work study, it’s a lot to ask.

And there’s zero promise of a sweet 5 day, all expenses paid vacation to a sunny locale at the end of the season, as there was in the 90s.

Something to consider with the OL doom and gloom. Two of the guys that started are transfers that weren't in spring ball. Other than maybe the bowl game none of the 5 had played a game with each other before.

Bleich is the only veteran. Cruz has one start in the program. Bradford is a backup.

Ellis and More are almost certainly in the top six, and neither was available.

I get it was Colgate, but they still managed to score 65, set a record for total yds, and play at a high tempo.

On a separate note, two of the three games they have run more than 80 plays since 2019 are the last two games with Beck as OC.

Something to consider with the OL doom and gloom. Two of the guys that started are transfers that weren't in spring ball. Other than maybe the bowl game none of the 5 had played a game with each other before.

Bleich is the only veteran. Cruz has one start in the program. Bradford is a backup.

Ellis and More are almost certainly in the top six, and neither was available.

I get it was Colgate, but they still managed to score 65, set a record for total yds, and play at a high tempo.

On a separate note, two of the three games they have run more than 80 plays since 2019 are the last two games with Beck as OC.
My biggest concern last night was that one of the guys that wasn’t there until summer camp was our best looking lineman in Reed.

My biggest concern last night was that one of the guys that wasn’t there until summer camp was our best looking lineman in Reed.
See, I disagree with that. I think Cruz, Bleich, and Wohlabaugh looked very good.

Reed and Bradford (late decision to start after More was scratched) were a little shaky, but serviceable. But it's important to keep in mind that Reed has only been in camp for one month, and this was his first dose of being a D1 starter. Bradford his now started two games in his career, and proved if nothing else that he can be a quality backup at guard.

And now the coaching staff has some film to evaluate, and they can work with these guys to help iron out the kinks. Hopefully, things will also improve when More returns.

But we m with Go -- things aren't as dire as OL as what some are suggesting, and there were plenty of good things for them to point to.

See, I disagree with that. I think Cruz, Bleich, and Wohlabaugh looked very good.

Reed and Bradford (late decision to start after More was scratched) were a little shaky, but serviceable. But it's important to keep in mind that Reed has only been in camp for one month, and this was his first dose of being a D1 starter. Bradford his now started two games in his career, and proved if nothing else that he can be a quality backup at guard.

And now the coaching staff has some film to evaluate, and they can work with these guys to help iron out the kinks. Hopefully, things will also improve when More returns.

But we m with Go -- Leo l might not be as bad as what some are suggesting, and there were plenty of good things for them to point to.
Interesting. I’m going back and watching again regardless so maybe I’ll feel differently than last night. But last night I was most concerned with Wohlabaugh, I thought there were a few times particularly early where he got ran by.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom