My Take | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

My Take

Yes. Read that thread. Just wondering what the actual grades are. If our fifth ranked guy graded out an 85 then he played very well. If our top ranked guy graded out a 50 we’re in trouble. Sorry if I missed it!

Yes. Read that thread. Just wondering what the actual grades are. If our fifth ranked guy graded out an 85 then he played very well. If our top ranked guy graded out a 50 we’re in trouble. Sorry if I missed it!

I touched on this someplace here or maybe in our group chat (too old to remember lol). Yes in the pass blocking, the starters except Reed all scored in the 70s or 80s. So good to very good and that’s fine. The run blocking grades they were all average to slightly below average, and that’s where we need work.

I touched on this someplace here or maybe in our group chat (too old to remember lol). Yes in the pass blocking, the starters except Reed all scored in the 70s or 80s. So good to very good and that’s fine. The run blocking grades they were all average to slightly below average, and that’s where we need work.
Lol. And I am too old to remember if I read it! Maybe we should start a seniors forum where we just say the same things over and over.

Interesting that the run blocking graded out so poorly when we averaged 5.2 ypc and even higher when the starters were in. I suppose that can be attributed to poor defense or a lot of yac?

Some thoughts...

Really excited to see how good the D can be. Just wish Rocky was in the booth so I can play the Rocky theme as he goes up and down the stairs.

Was impressed with Brown, he has that Taj wiggle.

I don't think Price should get many carries this year. But Ike looked good. He also picked up a pass rusher on one play which was nice to see.

Davis has a very strange throwing motion. In the NFL that might be an issue but in college as long as you can make plays, who cares.

I like CDRW's arm but he missed on a few throws. Still not sold he can be the guy next year.

Thompson looked gigantic. More like a DT than LB.

The Dome stats were laughable. They had the Colgate RB at over 100 yards for 3 Qs. For awhile they had both teams even in total yards. Is there no quality control?

The speakers are waaaaay too loud. It makes me hate when the girl is on the mic. It is really that hard to test this stuff out and/or make adjustments? Just turn the volume down a bit.

Last edited:
I didn’t get a chance to see the game (moving) so I’ll have to catch the replay but definitely concerned if OL looked shaky. This is the kind of team where a bad OL should look like world beaters. So hopefully they’re just working out the kinks but yeah I’d hate to see another season negatively affected by spotty OL play.
This is what scares me when we have guys repping all over the line instead 1 spot all the time. You miss that cohesion that should be there cause u know exactly what ur line guy is gonna do next to you.

See, I disagree with that. I think Cruz, Bleich, and Wohlabaugh looked very good.

Reed and Bradford (late decision to start after More was scratched) were a little shaky, but serviceable. But it's important to keep in mind that Reed has only been in camp for one month, and this was his first dose of being a D1 starter. Bradford his now started two games in his career, and proved if nothing else that he can be a quality backup at guard.

And now the coaching staff has some film to evaluate, and they can work with these guys to help iron out the kinks. Hopefully, things will also improve when More returns.

But we m with Go -- things aren't as dire as OL as what some are suggesting, and there were plenty of good things for them to point to.
I agree but I think we need to spend some nil money for some olinemen. We need guys next year there. Rt and rguard. Spend the money.

Anyone know what's up with Rob Hanna and Neil Nunn? Same high school, both played a bit early in their SU careers, Hanna moreso, and neither are on the roster or in the portal. Both with a load of potential

Some thoughts...

Really excited to see how good the D can be. Just wish Rocky was in the booth so I can play the Rocky theme as he goes up and down the stairs.

Was impressed with Brown, he has that Taj wiggle.

I don't think Price should get many carries this year. But Ike looked good. He also picked up a pass rusher on one play which was nice to see.

Davis has a very strange throwing motion. In the NFL that might be an issue but in college as long as you can make plays, who cares.

I like CDRW's arm but he missed on a few throws. Still not sold he can be the guy next year.

Thompson looked gigantic. More like a DT than LB.

The Dome stats were laughable. They had the Colgate RB at over 100 yards for 3 Qs. For awhile they had both teams even in total yards. Is there no quality control?

The speakers are waaaaay too loud. It makes me hate when the girl is on the mic. It is really that hard to test this stuff out and/or make adjustments? Just turn the volume down a bit.
Thought CDRW looked good. Big improvement from last year. Seemed like we finally have a quality back up qb. Let’s hope he does not have to get pressed into action this year and can continue to improve.

Thought CDRW looked good. Big improvement from last year. Seemed like we finally have a quality back up qb. Let’s hope he does not have to get pressed into action this year and can continue to improve.
It would be great if he gets in with 10 left in the 3rd and brings it home. While Shrader’s issue is velocity, CDRW’s biggest problem with his misses are the ball sails.

Last edited:
IMG_7209.jpeg

Clark looked like he got dinged in the head on the 2nd play of the game. He was wobbly. Likely should've been called for targeting to. I hope he's ok though.

Clark looked like he got dinged in the head on the 2nd play of the game. He was wobbly. Likely should've been called for targeting to. I hope he's ok though.
Yeah saw that too, by the letter of how the protocols work he was able to stay in the game likely passing all the sideline evaluative tests, but there’s no way he should have stayed in. I’d imagine if that had happened on the Syracuse side of the field right by the sideline they would’ve kept him out.

The issue was his arm, it went dead. He went in the locker room, came out and dominated

OG twisted his ankle last week in practice. Im glad he got play vs Gate but he was taking it easy.
That makes a lot of sense. I thought it looked like he was limping a bit after his first catch. Just assumed he got a little dinged up.

Rewatch thoughts:

OLine wasn't great but wasn't as bad as I thought live. Still want to see a leap this week

Kadin Bailey is a grown ass man. Not sure why he did but he really jumped off the screen to me.

We have really, really good receivers. I'm pumped to watch Alford against better talent. Also excited to see what Brown and Hatcher can do the next few weeks.

I know it's an FCS team but our defense looks legit. I think WMU will be lucky to score more than one touchdown. And Stefon Thompson isn't even fully integrated yet!

The defense is only going to get better with the transfers, too. Our floor is really high if they stay healthy and keep progressing. Combine that with a top-25 or so offense and we can push for Charlotte.

CDRW's arm talent is ridiculous.

Gotta be short. Just put the granddaughter to bed and I have an early tee time.

Today was a good day. Usually big tailgate on an unusually hot September day. The food was very good and there was a lot of it. Props to all involved, especially the grillers. It was hot enough without standing in front of a fire and smoke filled grill. Good job by everyone who worked the tailgate.

I left about an hour early. Did not see the excellent new tribute to Carrier. Will look for it next time. I sit on the 300 level, where little was done so I didn’t see major changes. It is my understanding that the steps that led from the lower level concourse to stadium seating have been replaced with ramps. Part of the Uber expensive series of changes required by ADA. I believe they also added widened the rows. I would think this will open up a lot more of the dome to handicapped people. Hope this increases attendance for handicapped individuals in the dome. Seems to me the areas set aside for them are very underused today.

I saw a lot of WAP looking equipment installed near the top of the 300 sections, up on the wall just below where it meets the ceiling. Saw no improvement in my cell signal, as expected. I connected to the OrangeHotSpot WAN and got much better results than just using cell. And I continued to get good throughput all game long. So it looks to me as though the Wi-Fi has been improved.

The band took the field. They looked good. Especially the sousaphone people. This year they have switched to wearing orange berets. Believe they are the only group in SUMB to not wear the big traditional hats with the plume. Cool. Alas, I only counted nine sousaphones. Not cool.

The band sounded good.

Saw More and Ellis in walking boots. They look like they were made to immobilize the ankle. Guessing they both have high ankle sprains. Hope they recover quickly.

With Ellis and More out, Bradford was the next man up at OG and he got the start. Despite the great production on offense, I thought the OL was bad. Especially pass blocking. Seemed like they were able to open holes for LeQuint to run through on run plays most of the time but there were a lot of missed blocks and blown assignments on pass plays. Hard to see from where I was but it looked like the right side of the line had most of the problems. And center. Looked like Reed and Bradford struggled pass blocking. The others weren’t a ton better. Props to Garrett for saving a number of plays with his athletic ability and good vision.

We gotta do better here or there is no way Garrett makes it through the end of September.

Thought Allen looked quick and elusive and even broke a few tackles. Impressive game for him. Though It looked like he should have broken a few runs outside where he could have gotten more daylight. When he left and Price entered the game, our running game got a lot worse. Price looked tentative and rusty. Later Daniels got a bunch of carries and looked very good. He might play his way into a second string slot at RB pretty soon if he continues to play like this. Nice for a true fresh RB.

It looked like Garrett went to OG a lot and maybe focused on him a bit too much. Maybe that was just questionable play calling but I can’t criticize the play calls much. Colgate looked totally befuddled and lost on defense almost the entire game. Lots of talk about whether someone would step up as the second WR. Well, a bunch of WRs got chances and I think they all did well when the ball was thrown their way.

Thought Jones was open every time the ball went his way and he caught it well and got some YAC too. Looked solid. Alford had a nice TD but not a ton of other touches. Long looked good in limited action. Only remember one ball thrown to Gill and he looked really good on it, and got the ball into the end zone. That is how you win PT early in your career.

OG looked like he always dOnes. Got open a lot. Looked like he went down without a fight a number of times. I assume the staff told him to do this and be sure to not get hurt. Hatcher seemed to do damage every time he was targeted and was impressive. It was a good day for the group.

The SU defense got their shutout and really dominated the Colgate offense. They didn’t get across the 50 yard line until 7 minutes were left in the game. I think SU was playing some walk ons on defense by then. They only had 2 first downs for a really long time. Why were they so good?

Looked like Rocky blitzed more than White did and Colgate was unprepared for a lot of the different looks Long had them use. Vey impressive first game as DC for Long.

Wax dominated and looked really good. Simmons had a big game and got a pick six. Clark got injured early as collateral damage on a big hit by Wax but stayed in and made some plays. Barron was all over the field and made a lot ogf Colgate guys black and blue. Johnson locked down his guy and Wilson did a good job too. Lowery and McDonald were forces as well. Lots of TFL, sacks and QB hurries for everyone. But Caleb really seemed to dominate and had a bunch of big hits. This was a dominating performance by the whole SU DL and hopefully the start if something big this season.

The second team played most of the second half and also looked very good. Roon was a manimal. Bailey was destroying people out there. We have some depth, especially on defense.

Special teams were solid. Adams filled in ably as the return guy and had a couple impressive runs. Stonehouse boomed a punt. Didn’t get a lot of action. Denaberg nailed his PATs, made his FG and had one of the best days kicking off in SU history. Lots of balls out of the end zone. Coverage units were good too. Adams caught a kickoff about to go OB and someone, I assume Callahan, had a bad snap on a PAT but overall that was a top notch special teams performance. Gotta mention a sequence early though when Colgate was forced to punt and our return team made two penalties in a row to give them a first down. I think one was an off sides and one an illegal formation. SU was moving players around and it looked like they really wanted to disrupt Colgate and get a block. If nothing else, it was interesting.

Should mention that CDRW looked like a polished veteran out there, taking what the defense gve him and working the team down the field methodilically. He looked markedly more mature and was impressive. Shader missed a couple of throws but again, he rarely had time to throw. The pick near the end of the first half was not like him and disturbing. He ran around and made people missed like he did in the past when healthy. Good performance. Lots of production. But not his A game.

Crowd was small but loud. Most of the credit goes to the SU student section, which was again huge and very loud. Props to Otto’s Army.
WAP?

WAP?
A WAP is a wide area access point. Basically a wireless router. These are needed to build a Wi-Fi network that covers a wide area. Like the interior of a large stadium.

If you look at the bottom of the roof ring (or top of the interior walls, where they terminate and connect to the base of the roof), you will see a bunch of what appear to be WAPs all in place and apparently ready to go.

As noted before, it appears JMA has finished its install. They just need the 3 major wireless carriers to install their equipment. T-Mobile, AT&T and Verizon have work to do. If I remember right, Verizon is expected to be done first, in mid to late October. Then AT&T and then T-Mobile. I think all three are expected to be in place by the end of the football season..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom