My two cents | Syracusefan.com

My two cents

kcsu

Living Legend
I usually don't post " my two cents " after basketball games but I wanted to share a few observations at this point in the season.
Overall I'm pleased. As much as Jim did to put Syracuse on the top of the college basketball world there is no argument that the last 5 or so years have seen us decline to a point way below the program Jim inherited from Roy.
Call it what you want but Red inherited a hot mess.
If not for him I can't imagine how bad this year's team would be.
Lets start with the current players who wouldn't be here.
Judah
JJ
Benny
Cope
7 4
Cuffe

The fact that Red has the roster he does is in itself a huge step forward.
As to our two HS All American recruits, forget about them. They wouldn't be coming.
Now as to how the season is playing out the good is we are transitioning back to the JB teams of the 80s and 90s.
Athletic, running. Tough D teams.
Unfortunately for all of our athleticism we lack basketball IQ and we can't shoot. Both fatal flaws.
Tonight was a perfect example. Miss after miss after miss. 3pts, layups, foul shots. It didn't matter. If it was a shot we missed it.
As to coaching I give Red a solid B with one major exception.
So far he has been absolutely horrible the last 5 minutes of each half.
We consistently blow big leads going into the half or at the end of games. That is on Red and hopefully he figures it out.
I believe we will finish the year in the top half of the ACC and win a game in the tou

imo no team is going to the dance these days without reliable long range artillery to shell the enemy position out of the paint. as you point out. we lack that. fatal campaign flaw.

I usually don't post " my two cents " after basketball games but I wanted to share a few observations at this point in the season.
Overall I'm pleased. As much as Jim did to put Syracuse on the top of the college basketball world there is no argument that the last 5 or so years have seen us decline to a point way below the program Jim inherited from Roy.
Judah
JJ
Benny
Cope
7 4
Cuffe

As to our two HS All American recruits, forget about them. They wouldn't be coming.
Now as to how the season is playing out the good is we are transitioning back to the JB teams of the 80s and 90s.
Unfortunately for all of our athleticism we lack basketball IQ and we can't shoot. Both fatal flaws.
Tonight was a perfect example. Miss after miss after miss. 3pts, layups, foul shots. It didn't matter. If it was a shot we missed it.
We consistently blow big leads going into the half or at the end of games. That is on Red and hopefully he figures it out.
I believe we will finish the year in the top half of the ACC and win a game in the tou
In the tournament. Next year will be better as we will have some kids that can score.

way more positives than negatives. Kids play hard, seem to support each other, Red has done a good job dealing with Benny and other potential issues. Man D is a work in progress but for the most part is pretty solid. Team rebounds pretty well.
All in All we are a pretty good team. We could be Tournament team if we could shoot better.

Good take - because you raise some points that often aren't raised

Who knows who would have left if JB stayed at the helm? Many thought Judah was off to the NBA. It could have easily been a rush for the exits. The keys weren't handed to Red until after the ACC tournament. Maybe it was known behind the scenes but it didn't give Red an ideal amount of time to build a roster.

This team has flaws, but there are many reasons to be hopeful.

I'm very interested in the offseason. Will we go for transfers (high turnover) or banking on guys getting better?

A scenario where JJ/Cope/Brown/Donnie get real minutes (25+) with a handful of transfers (both directions) is very intriguing. I'm fine with all our forwards and project centers leaving if we can get talent in return.

I like the OP for the support of Red and the recognition of just what a mess JB left him.

The mention of a tournament team…..yes, should have specified NIT.

I agree with a lot of your points. The playing hard thing doesn't impress me as A) Teams should and B) I'm not sure we always do. My concern is we don't seem to be playing smarter. I think Red is the guy and will do great, but the staff needs to be better teaching situations or recruiting players who have a shred of basketball sense.

My biggest concern is we are 2/3 of the way through the season and I still don’t see a coherent offensive identity. We space the floor and someone (usually JM) drives to the hoop and heaves up a bad shot and we prey for a foul.

I think defensively we are on the right track. We are no longer a one trick pony. Given time and some roster turnover I think we can be more consistent in this area. Offense I’m not so sure.

Last edited:
Agree.

This team is performing as good as it can, with the serious shooting and rebounding(which actually has gotten a bit better, but still not good) flaws well documented. Overall, we do need an offensive identity, outside of relying on individual talent. There are moments here and there, where they actually move the ball well, but overall, there just isn't much productive ball movement. There was about 10 straight minutes the second half against FSU, where they had possessions with zero passes. Or maybe one pass, and a forced(bad) shot. Have to play smarter, knowing we aren't a great shooting team, to at least try to get the best shot possible.

For the first time in a bunch of years, I have hope for the upcoming seasons, and the future of the program. We are definitely "trying" to play a better(and more appealing to recruits) version of basketball.

Judah
JJ
Benny
Cope
7 4
Cuffe

I'm not pleased. This is brutal to watch.

How can you say with such confidence that all of those specific players would or would not be here bc of the coaching choice?

People dog JB, fine. After 50 years, there's lots of material. He probably should had bolted some 10 years ago, but he didn't. But, its not about JB. Its about Red.

Red was active in the portal. That's a plus. Some good choices on paper, but none of the portal kids have worked out. His choices.

Prior to FSU and BC, we were tracking towards a pretty amazing season, all things considered. Now, we are not. We are tracking towards a mediocre season. Better than last year, but still mediocre. Arguably trending in the right direction, but still mediocre.

The lack of an offensive identity falls on Red.

The lack of individual offensive IQ falls on the players recruited mostly, but also on Red. Who is being coached up?

My two biggest concerns are the lack of offensive identity as a team, and poor offensive IQ from individuals.

Seems like the Gonzagas and Butlers of the world were able to coach dudes up on O, and now are getting top tier players. Would love to see that kind of offense in the dome.

Also concerned with how easily guards slice through us on D. Its uncanny. We play with effort for about 50-70% of the games.

I like many things Red is doing (patience with Benny, experimenting with lineups, etc). Hopeful for the future, but this is not fun to watch, at all.

I'm not pleased. This is brutal to watch.

How can you say with such confidence that all of those specific players would or would not be here bc of the coaching choice?

People dog JB, fine. After 50 years, there's lots of material. He probably should had bolted some 10 years ago, but he didn't. But, its not about JB. Its about Red.

Red was active in the portal. That's a plus. Some good choices on paper, but none of the portal kids have worked out. His choices.

Prior to FSU and BC, we were tracking towards a pretty amazing season, all things considered. Now, we are not. We are tracking towards a mediocre season. Better than last year, but still mediocre. Arguably trending in the right direction, but still mediocre.

The lack of an offensive identity falls on Red.

The lack of individual offensive IQ falls on the players recruited mostly, but also on Red. Who is being coached up?

My two biggest concerns are the lack of offensive identity as a team, and poor offensive IQ from individuals.

Seems like the Gonzagas and Butlers of the world were able to coach dudes up on O, and now are getting top tier players. Would love to see that kind of offense in the dome.

Also concerned with how easily guards slice through us on D. Its uncanny. We play with effort for about 50-70% of the games.

I like many things Red is doing (patience with Benny, experimenting with lineups, etc). Hopeful for the future, but this is not fun to watch, at all.
comparing first year Red to Mark Few and numerous successful Butler coaches doesn't seem like a great one.

He's a first year head coach with a lot to work on, and college basketball in general is brutal to watch these days. The NBA puts tremendous value on shooting, length and athleticism and those types don't stick around very long in the college game.

comparing first year Red to Mark Few and numerous successful Butler coaches doesn't seem like a great one.

He's a first year head coach with a lot to work on, and college basketball in general is brutal to watch these days. The NBA puts tremendous value on shooting, length and athleticism and those types don't stick around very long in the college game.
College basketball is quite entertaining, by and large. There are many teams whom seem to employ that midmajor tourney upset mindset w near perfect execution on O & stifling D.

The point is, where is our offensive identity & what has Red done to improve it?

You don't need to be a Mark Few to avoid 10 minute scoring droughts within a single game.

I agree with a lot of your points. The playing hard thing doesn't impress me as A) Teams should and B) I'm not sure we always do. My concern is we don't seem to be playing smarter. I think Red is the guy and will do great, but the staff needs to be better teaching situations or recruiting players who have a shred of basketball sense.
I like the team but I'm not sure we play hard all the time.

This team has a decent amount of talent.

We should beat BC and FSU.

Those two losses bothered me a lot.

Still, the season has had some really fun moments.

College basketball is quite entertaining, by and large. There are many teams whom seem to employ that midmajor tourney upset mindset w near perfect execution on O & stifling D.

The point is, where is our offensive identity & what has Red done to improve it?

You don't need to be a Mark Few to avoid 10 minute scoring droughts within a single game.
You made the Gonzaga comparison not me.

Offensive identity is give the ball to Judah Mintz and foul bait get to the line. That's about it right now, not sure I see much more available than that right now. JJ shotting a little better the last two games. Continue to recruit and get better playmakers, maybe a true PG who can initiate the offense and distribute the basketball also a couple shooters than can help spread the floor, also a few guys that can finish at the rim at the 4 and 5 position. The 3-5 position is nonexistent right now. Brown is a solid role player who can score on occasion.

I just don't see much talent out there right now. If you have no shooters, no inside threat and 1 maybe 2 real shot creators not sure there's much one can do. They also need to spread the floor. Red is also 14-7, not great, not horrible.

true his portal guys have not really fired but that's the risk one takes. Not saying he's not withour fault but willing to give him at least 2 more years before I start heavily scrutinizing.

"There are many teams whom seem to employ that midmajor tourney upset mindset w near perfect execution on O & stifling D."

And what teams would that be? I am curious more than anything. There are still some great coaches out there but I prefer having better talent than relying on coaching perfection which is very rare

Last edited:
Offensive identity is give the ball to Judah Mintz and foul bait get to the line.

That is desperation. Desperation is not a strategy.

We apparently run a 3 man weave. So, if we can do that, we can teach guys to cut off-ball. Lots that a coach can do to teach basic offensive IQ, IMO. I only mention those guys because they made their money that way, not to compare to Red.

We have JT and Bell standing around waiting for their opportunity to miss 3s.

Miami & UConn are a couple teams that play that midmajor game, IMO.

Miami's offense is the opposite of perfect execution on O.

They have great talent due to NIL and still are only in the 60s for ORtg.

Not sure where you are going with this take. If you want us to play like UConn, we need the players.

That is desperation. Desperation is not a strategy.

We apparently run a 3 man weave. So, if we can do that, we can teach guys to cut off-ball. Lots that a coach can do to teach basic offensive IQ, IMO. I only mention those guys because they made their money that way, not to compare to Red.

We have JT and Bell standing around waiting for their opportunity to miss 3s.

Offensive basketball shouldn't be difficult.

It seems to me that the basic principles still apply - effective body on body screening - lots of quick ball movement - and constant player movement away from the ball - into and through the lane.

You have to get good shots with those basic techniques - right?

You made the Gonzaga comparison not me.

Offensive identity is give the ball to Judah Mintz and foul bait get to the line. That's about it right now, not sure I see much more available than that right now. JJ shotting a little better the last two games. Continue to recruit and get better playmakers, maybe a true PG who can initiate the offense and distribute the basketball also a couple shooters than can help spread the floor, also a few guys that can finish at the rim at the 4 and 5 position. The 3-5 position is nonexistent right now. Brown is a solid role player who can score on occasion.

I just don't see much talent out there right now. If you have no shooters, no inside threat and 1 maybe 2 real shot creators not sure there's much one can do. They also need to spread the floor. Red is also 14-7, not great, not horrible.

true his portal guys have not really fired but that's the risk one takes. Not saying he's not withour fault but willing to give him at least 2 more years before I start heavily scrutinizing.

And what teams would that be? I am curious more than anything. There are still some great coaches out there but I prefer having better talent than relying on coaching perfection which is very rare
Yep, for example, just watch JT on an offensive possesion.

He moves around a little but 95% of the time it's without purpose or sharp execution and, most importantly, very little quickness. He just can't get open. You could design an offense all you want. The players have to get open

Then when he does get a quick look. He can't pull the trigger (or misses)

It's not meant to be a JT bash session, but more to the point. The reason the offense is Judah is because Red believes that's the best way we can score. I'd prefer he get Q the ball in his hands more because he can create better, but as we all know, with that creation comes turnovers. So...is what it is.

He moves around a little but 95% of the time it's without purpose or sharp execution and, most importantly, very little quickness. He just can't get open. You could design an offense all you want. The players have to get open

It's not meant to be a JT bash session, but more to the point. The reason the offense is Judah is because Red believes that's the best way we can score. I'd prefer he get Q the ball in his hands more because he can create better, but as we all know, with that creation comes turnovers. So...is what it is.
Couldn't agree with you more. Something has to change with JT.... and I also am not here to bash him. He just is not scoring and we need scoring. Either Q or Benny has to start in his slot. I hope a change in coming off the bench can provide JT a new life. As others here have said, the FSU and BC games left a real sour taste. The OP said it best, "we just can not shoot, miss after miss after miss". It really hurts to see misses on bunnies and dunks and most of all the free throws. It seems like we have to try extra hard to not score at times. Two things bother me the most about this team. We seem to experience scoring droughts too often and for extended amounts of time. The second is I still feel this team seems to collectively give up too easily playing as a team and then as individual players. I still think we need a strong leader. Copeland has to step up and take over the leadership on this team.

Couldn't agree with you more. Something has to change with JT... and I also am not here to bash him. He just is not scoring and we need scoring. Either Q or Benny has to start in his slot. I hope a change in coming off the bench can provide JT a new life. As others here have said, the FSU and BC games left a real sour taste. The OP said it best, "we just can not shoot, miss after miss after miss". It really hurts to see misses on bunnies and dunks and most of all the free throws. It seems like we have to try extra hard to not score at times. Two things bother me the most about this team. We seem to experience scoring droughts too often and for extended amounts of time. The second is I still feel this team seems to collectively give up too easily playing as a team and then as individual players. I still think we need a strong leader. Copeland has to step up and take over the leadership on this team.
How can he when Red continues to let Judah dominate the ball. Q needs to be the primary ball handler regardless of some games where he has turnovers.
He at least is looking to pass the ball when someone is open.

How can he when Red continues to let Judah dominate the ball. Q needs to be the primary ball handler regardless of some games where he has turnovers.
He at least is looking to pass the ball when someone is open.
At least in my mind, you do not need to be the primary ball handler to be the team leader. I know it helps but you should not have to be the top scorer, assist maker or rebounder to be the team leader. Talk the talk and walk the talk.

Offensive basketball shouldn't be difficult.

It seems to me that the basic principles still apply - effective body on body screening - lots of quick ball movement - and constant player movement away from the ball - into and through the lane.

You have to get good shots with those basic techniques - right?
Exactly, & I agree. I don't think it should be impossible to play better more consistently. Add spacing to your list.

JBs kids had great hoops IQ. They could be successful even though they were less athletic.

If a midmajor can play with great IQ, why can't a major do the same?

On one hand you are saying JT doesn't move off ball, but on the other he cannot get shots quick enough.

He's not able to get shots off bc he's never open. He's never open because he is not moving.

Just bc we are resorting to desperation & savior ball doesn't mean it is a good choice.

Teach the kids the right way to play & demand they do it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom