My two cents | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

My two cents

I think we need a shakeup amongst the ACs.

Having an all-Syracuse staff is a nice story* but this group collectively isn't optimal. That would be a good place to start.

* Outside of Straughn, who comes from TTO, and doesn't have former ties to our program.

Agreed. There needs to first be a staff shakeup. That is not going to be easy to do.

Hate to knock on three great former Syracuse players, but its baffling to me how you can retain and promote a collective staff that was overseeing the downfall of the program. Why would anyone think they’d be the answer to turn it all around? They were instrumental in the downfall, so what now, they just had to remove the JB shackles and play man to man? lol

As the assistant coaches they were responsible for not only the scouting and the recruiting of the players, but also the development of the players. I’m hard pressed to think of anyone these guys have actually developed. Even now, the decision making and slop seems to be getting worse not better. I wonder sometimes if these coaches were just too buddy buddy with the players, they can’t be friends. I think going from buddy to boss is partially to do with some of the antics and the behavior, and talking back. It might be time at this point for Red to keep anyone who is respectful and in line with the program and cut bait with the rest..

Last edited:
Agreed. There needs to first be a staff shakeup. That is not going to be easy to do.

Hate to knock on three great former Syracuse players, but its baffling to me how you can retain and promote a collective staff that was overseeing the downfall of the program. Why would anyone think they’d be the answer to turn it all around? They were instrumental in the downfall, so what now, they just had to remove the JB shackles and play man to man? lol

As the assistant coaches they were responsible for not only the scouting and the recruiting of the players, but also the development of the players. I’m hard pressed to think of anyone these guys have actually developed. Even now, the decision making and slop seems to be getting worse not better. I wonder sometimes if these guys were just too buddy buddy with the players, they can’t be friends. I think going from buddy to boss is partially to do with some of the antics and the behavior, and talking back. It might be time at this point for Red to keep anyone who is respectful and in line with the program and cut bait with the rest..
JB was the bad cop & now there is no bad cop.

Agree with all of it, but especially the last line. It's time to play whomever fits the culture you want the program to have, regardless of the outcome.

42 in the first half is bad but not unspeakable

28 on offense was worse imo

Our team quits on the head coach all the time
That’s the concern. And for a first year head coach, not good. Should be the opposite.

JB was the bad cop & now there is no bad cop.

Agree with all of it, but especially the last line. It's time to play whomever fits the culture you want the program to have, regardless of the outcome.
Problem is, the individuals who are the most talented are the main culprits most of the time - Mintz, Copeland, Williams.

As the assistant coaches they were responsible for not only the scouting and the recruiting of the players, but also the development of the players. I’m hard pressed to think of anyone these guys have actually developed. Even now, the decision making and slop seems to be getting worse not better. I wonder sometimes if these coaches were just too buddy buddy with the players, they can’t be friends. I think going from buddy to boss is partially to do with some of the antics and the behavior, and talking back. It might be time at this point for Red to keep anyone who is respectful and in line with the program and cut bait with the rest..
So it’s the assistant coaches who “oversaw” the downfall of the program? Then what the hell was JB doing?
The fact is that JB orchestrated the downfall with his apathy and lack of effort on the recruiting trail. The assistants could not change the style of play or recruit players JB didn’t want. The cannot turn a bunch of sows ears into silk purses as players. So many low ceiling players.
If JB was still coaching this team, against this schedule, it would be sub .500, with a 3rd consecutive loss to Colgate.

Last edited:
Problem is, the individuals who are the most talented are the main culprits most of the time - Mintz, Copeland, Williams.
Williams was never talented. He could run and jump. That’s it.

Follow up to a few weeks ago.

Red continues to grow as a coach and to impress. He is doing one heck of a job not only for a first-year head coach but for any year coach. I seriously doubt that any other coach would be doing a better job with this roster. Does he have a way to go? Sure, but I think a lot of that has to do with the fact that we are in as big a transition as any program has ever had. A+ in my book.

The players continue to give it their all. No quit in them. They play hard, sure they have their faults especially some of them on D, but they give effort. Q continues to be my favorite. He has been since we started recruiting him as he has gifts that can't be taught. Each game I see him becoming more settled and taking on more of a leadership role. If he can develop an outside shot, he is a sure-fire NBA player.

Judah, Major head scratcher to the posters who think we are better off without him. Seriously do you watch the games, watch and or know anything about basketball. The kid is seriously good. Has ball skills that are elite. Hés young and learning, I do think he will end up playing in the NBA. I hope he goes to the pros if not it would be a terrible look to have him leave for another school.

WE NEED A CENTER... I'm not so sure about that. Next year if and only IF our Bigs are healthy I think we can play with the three that we have plus Brown. Not sure who we would get that wants to set picks, protect the rim and rebound.

My two cents is that we need another scoring forward. Specifically, a good outside shooting forward. Someone who is another Bell but more well-rounded.
As to the PG position between the current players we have it covered. My sense is we keep the roster intact. Maybe Judah leaves Hima retires and possibly Bell but other than that I think everyone returns and I hope that they all do.

Freeman is going to start and or play a ton and I believe that Moore will see 5 minutes a half as well.

Let's finish this year strong. If we can win out, we are in the dance. Let's get to 20 regardless and celebrate an amazing first year by Red.

Last point what a beautiful send off for JB. He seems so relaxed and happy. Amazing that some on here wanted to blow up 50 years of tradition. 80 plus former players, Dave Bing, Mike and God knows how many other alums in the 25k that day. Great call by JW going with Red. He hit a homerun.

Follow up to a few weeks ago.

Red continues to grow as a coach and to impress. He is doing one heck of a job not only for a first-year head coach but for any year coach. I seriously doubt that any other coach would be doing a better job with this roster. Does he have a way to go? Sure, but I think a lot of that has to do with the fact that we are in as big a transition as any program has ever had. A+ in my book.

The players continue to give it their all. No quit in them. They play hard, sure they have their faults especially some of them on D, but they give effort. Q continues to be my favorite. He has been since we started recruiting him as he has gifts that can't be taught. Each game I see him becoming more settled and taking on more of a leadership role. If he can develop an outside shot, he is a sure-fire NBA player.

Judah, Major head scratcher to the posters who think we are better off without him. Seriously do you watch the games, watch and or know anything about basketball. The kid is seriously good. Has ball skills that are elite. Hés young and learning, I do think he will end up playing in the NBA. I hope he goes to the pros if not it would be a terrible look to have him leave for another school.

WE NEED A CENTER... I'm not so sure about that. Next year if and only IF our Bigs are healthy I think we can play with the three that we have plus Brown. Not sure who we would get that wants to set picks, protect the rim and rebound.

My two cents is that we need another scoring forward. Specifically, a good outside shooting forward. Someone who is another Bell but more well-rounded.
As to the PG position between the current players we have it covered. My sense is we keep the roster intact. Maybe Judah leaves Hima retires and possibly Bell but other than that I think everyone returns and I hope that they all do.

Freeman is going to start and or play a ton and I believe that Moore will see 5 minutes a half as well.

Let's finish this year strong. If we can win out, we are in the dance. Let's get to 20 regardless and celebrate an amazing first year by Red.

Last point what a beautiful send off for JB. He seems so relaxed and happy. Amazing that some on here wanted to blow up 50 years of tradition. 80 plus former players, Dave Bing, Mike and God knows how many other alums in the 25k that day. Great call by JW going with Red. He hit a homerun.
follow up after last nights game.

I dont bet against SU ever but i do tell friends when they should and last night i told a few to go heavy.

As i posted we needed to slow down Hall and Joe. Not let them play inside out. We didnt or better articulated, couldnt as we are extremely weak in the paint. Playing with a thin forward at the 5 and rotating Guards at the 3 and 4. Bell is a finese player and actually would make a good two if he had a handle which he doesnt. Not having McCloud Carey and Himma this season has been our achilles. To get to 20 wins with this roster is amazing given the tough schedule and new players.
Match ups are everything in sports and last night was about as bad a match up as we could get. Hats off to Clemson for taking Bell out of the game and forcing Judah and our team to win from the perimeter.
I like the fact the kids never gave up and fought till the end. We were simply outmatched with a strong interior Seasoned team on Senior night in a very tough venue.

Moving forward i think that if we get to the championship game we have a solid chance to make the dance. Anything less and we are NIT bound which is a great accomplishment given the injuries and schedule.

Next year will be better. I hope that Judah goes pro and saves us all the stress. Hopefully Chance and our big guys are 100%. Patterson is a plus and we add a piece or two from the portal. Not sure other than Judah and Himma who is leaving but we need to keep Cope and Brown.

The kids can play free in the tourney as they have nothing to lose. 20 wins first time since 2014.

Well done!.

The kids can play free in the tourney as they have nothing to lose. 20 wins first time since 2014.

Well done!.
we had over 20 in 18-19 unless you meant regular season

I dont bet against SU ever but i do tell friends when they should and last night i told a few to go heavy.
i told friends to bet heavy on the over for chris bell facial expressions of disbelief. and did everyone catch judah's animated discussion with the ref at the free throw line. kept slapping at his arms and yammering.
never seen a player get TEE'd up shooting FT's but i bet that ref was close.

As i posted we needed to slow down Hall and Joe. Not let them play inside out. We didnt or better articulated, couldnt as we are extremely weak in the paint. Playing with a thin forward at the 5 and rotating Guards at the 3 and 4. Bell is a finese player and actually would make a good two if he had a handle which he doesnt. Not having McCloud Carey and Himma this season has been our achilles. To get to 20 wins with this roster is amazing given the tough schedule and new players.
Match ups are everything in sports and last night was about as bad a match up as we could get. Hats off to Clemson for taking Bell out of the game and forcing Judah and our team to win from the perimeter.
I like the fact the kids never gave up and fought till the end. We were simply outmatched with a strong interior Seasoned team on Senior night in a very tough venue.

Moving forward i think that if we get to the championship game we have a solid chance to make the dance. Anything less and we are NIT bound which is a great accomplishment given the injuries and schedule.

Next year will be better. I hope that Judah goes pro and saves us all the stress. Hopefully Chance and our big guys are 100%. Patterson is a plus and we add a piece or two from the portal. Not sure other than Judah and Himma who is leaving but we need to keep Cope and Brown.

Well done!.
Technically only 19 wins that matter.

Well done!.
Couple things:

- I'm no sure how you can ascertain Patterson as a plus. He hasn't played and is a project.
- Definitely need to keep Copeland & Brown. Outside of those two, everyone else can be replaced with the same level player IMO. Even Bell. Unimpressed by him outside of a few hot shooting moments.
- Starling needs to play more like he did in his string of good games than he did last night. He's about as big as piece as any for next year's team.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom