my two cents | Syracusefan.com

my two cents

kcsu

Living Legend
Watched the game twice and here is my take.

This team is so close. I believe that with the exception of the D we have made huge strides in all aspects. The O is so much better and gives the feel that they can score at anytime. Redzone needs work but we dont really have the personel to play power football as our line is undersized and our backs are not power backs. One thought that i had was a "special package" for those types of situations. I think that Steve Clarks father said that he might have played some FB in HS, not sure but i could see him or Slayton as a lead blocker in a power set. Another thought would be to create a special Oline for short yardage situations. Simply put bring in the beef blocking would be man on man simple push type and go get a yard or two. Other than the short yardage situation i really like our O as the mistakes are all youth related. In reviewing the calls that Lester made other than nit picking here and there i think that he called a very solid game and continues to get better as he learns what the kids can do. Using Erv and Ish more is a great move as well as JF. You can see he wants to involve the TE's but we just dont have the talent. Cant wait to see a healthy Trey and our 5 star next year. Wish we could get Custis involved more not sure why he doesnt see the field.

Special teams are the best they have been in forever. We actually have a chance to take it to the house on both punts and KR. The D has been solid and what can you say about our Heisman local boy.

D is fine as well it is just youth and depth. I actually think after yesterday that reed is doing fine. He just doesnt have much to work with and he is trying to mask a weak unit by not giving up the deep ball. We are small and slow and young. That doesnt make for very good coaching. Chuck is solid put a great plan in place but again we are thin and young. Next year something tells me he becomes a much better coach!!

As to the game plan and in game i was very pleased yesterday. Shaf made some great challanges and i thought that the kids executed the plan well. Again we left plays all over the field and didnt get a break. In hindsight he could have called different coverage on the fourth down fake punt but i think that many coaches would have made that mistake. Missed redzone, field goals off the cross bar, fake field goals, Dungey getting rung again, no real depth and kids all over the field and a a few plays and we could have won the last three as easy as we lost them.

Last point. HCSS and his staff get Syracuse and get how to sell our program. We live in the second most cloudy spot on earth with snow and cold gripping our balls for six months a year. The city is in decline with more issues than carter has pills and our backyard recruiting is made up of kids who grow up playing hockey and basketball. These guys have found the right formula to present our program and they have truly built a team/family situation.

Is he the best game planner or in game coach, of course not if he was he would be at a power house or in the NFL. He is however in my humble opinion having watched Syracuse since 1964 on the verge of being our next great coach. laugh and put me down but if you know SU and have watched as long as i have we do better with stability. We are a blue collar town with hard working stick to it people. Many who grew up in a factory or farm family. Bringing in something new and shiny is going to fail. Lets give this guy and his friends his staff his team one more year to bear the fruit of their hard work. If he doesnt get it done next year then we make the change but the field is plowed i like the seed and believe that next year we reap the harvest.

Go Orange!!

Redzone needs work but we dont really have the personel to play power football as our line is undersized and our backs are not power backs. One thought that i had was a "special package" for those types of situations. I think that Steve Clarks father said that he might have played some FB in HS, not sure but i could see him or Slayton as a lead blocker in a power set.
I'm really curious as to why we couldn't come up with a set using Tyler Provo as a FB. He was rated as the 4th best FB in the country as a high school senior by Rovals.

This team is so close. I believe that with the exception of the D we have made huge strides in all aspects. The O is so much better and gives the feel that they can score at anytime. Redzone needs work but we dont really have the personel to play power football as our line is undersized and our backs are not power backs. One thought that i had was a "special package" for those types of situations. I think that Steve Clarks father said that he might have played some FB in HS, not sure but i could see him or Slayton as a lead blocker in a power set. Another thought would be to create a special Oline for short yardage situations. Simply put bring in the beef blocking would be man on man simple push type and go get a yard or two. Other than the short yardage situation i really like our O as the mistakes are all youth related. In reviewing the calls that Lester made other than nit picking here and there i think that he called a very solid game and continues to get better as he learns what the kids can do. Using Erv and Ish more is a great move as well as JF. You can see he wants to involve the TE's but we just dont have the talent. Cant wait to see a healthy Trey and our 5 star next year. Wish we could get Custis involved more not sure why he doesnt see the field.

Special teams are the best they have been in forever. We actually have a chance to take it to the house on both punts and KR. The D has been solid and what can you say about our Heisman local boy.

D is fine as well it is just youth and depth. I actually think after yesterday that reed is doing fine. He just doesnt have much to work with and he is trying to mask a weak unit by not giving up the deep ball. We are small and slow and young. That doesnt make for very good coaching. Chuck is solid put a great plan in place but again we are thin and young. Next year something tells me he becomes a much better coach!!

As to the game plan and in game i was very pleased yesterday. Shaf made some great challanges and i thought that the kids executed the plan well. Again we left plays all over the field and didnt get a break. In hindsight he could have called different coverage on the fourth down fake punt but i think that many coaches would have made that mistake. Missed redzone, field goals off the cross bar, fake field goals, Dungey getting rung again, no real depth and kids all over the field and a a few plays and we could have won the last three as easy as we lost them.

Last point. HCSS and his staff get Syracuse and get how to sell our program. We live in the second most cloudy spot on earth with snow and cold gripping our balls for six months a year. The city is in decline with more issues than carter has pills and our backyard recruiting is made up of kids who grow up playing hockey and basketball. These guys have found the right formula to present our program and they have truly built a team/family situation.

Is he the best game planner or in game coach, of course not if he was he would be at a power house or in the NFL. He is however in my humble opinion having watched Syracuse since 1964 on the verge of being our next great coach. laugh and put me down but if you know SU and have watched as long as i have we do better with stability. We are a blue collar town with hard working stick to it people. Many who grew up in a factory or farm family. Bringing in something new and shiny is going to fail. Lets give this guy and his friends his staff his team one more year to bear the fruit of their hard work. If he doesnt get it done next year then we make the change but the field is plowed i like the seed and believe that next year we reap the harvest.

Go Orange!!
Our 5 star won't be playing next year unless we get a break from the NCAA. Good luck with that.

Go Orange!!
Totally agree!

I'm really curious as to why we couldn't come up with a set using Tyler Provo as a FB. He was rated as the 4th best FB in the country as a high school senior by Rovals.
I would like to see a set with Custis, and Enoicy in with Ish, Erv, and Jordan, our current TE doesn't present any problem to opposing defenses in the red zone. That would give Eric targets, and with Custis, and Enoicy's size they couldn't crowd the box. Tim's offense is about creating mismatches, and that would.

Redzone needs work but we dont really have the personel to play power football as our line is undersized and our backs are not power backs. One thought that i had was a "special package" for those types of situations.

Thought Fredericks did a nice job running the wildcat in short yardage situations against LSU. Read the blocking, find a seam and hit it. I realize that's not prototypical power football but seemed to be an effective option given pour personnel and scheme. Haven't watched yesterday's game yet but don;t recall seeing id against UVa or USF.

I would like to see a set with Custis, and Enoicy in with Ish, Erv, and Jordan, our current TE doesn't present any problem to opposing defenses in the red zone. That would give Eric targets, and with Custis, and Enoicy's size they couldn't crowd the box. Tim's offense is about creating mismatches, and that would.
I agree. Custis is Huge and has hands like a catchers mit. Need to find a way to get these kids on the field. I also think that Sean A has some good years in him. He is a strong kid that is going to break press in the slot. Would love to see them get some more run

The more I think about it the more I agree. When not in the heat of the moment the arrow is pointing up. The team is clearly coached better than any time since hcdm left town in the middle of the night. The only thing I can't sand is the wild variations in our game plan. If we came out on offense against sfu like we did against Pitt we win. You can't control how bad the D is but you sure can not screw yourself on offense.

It would be nice to stop a spread offense or running qb once in awhile to.

Go Orange!!
great post and agree with most if not all. With respect to the redzone this is the only spot I question him overall as to how in the hell they haven't instituted a simply I-formation deal with one of the guys mentioned in this thread as a leading FB and Fredricks at Tb.

It's not that hard. Put the damn qb under the damn center (practice it a thousand times if you're worried about a bad exchange). Line up two damn TE's to one side, allow Fredricks to get some momentum toward the LOS and hand him the damn ball. Not out of the realm of reality to say redzone inadequacies and not being able to punch it in from inside the 5 have now potentially if not literally cost us two games.

I'm all in on Shaf in the ways you mention in your post as there is obvious and undeniable progress being shown in all respects, but how he/they can't see this simple reality is causing me to keep some skepticism in the back corner of my mind.

I don't know how much longer fans can be asked to keep our patience. So close but damnit.....

Last edited:
It is a head scratcher for sure and as i posted in another thread and this one if HCSS doesnt win 7 games next year he should be shown the door. I really like the guy and feel as if he could be a long time great coach for us but he needs to mature. Lets give him next year when he will have no excuses, a favorable schedule and he either gets it done or not. Im pulling for him but as i have always done i pull for the program.

This is for Millhouse, and Otto in the grotto, look at the last drive of the 1st half. We got the ball with 1:37 on the clock on our 25, in 7 plays and 59 seconds we moved 65 yards. I don't believe the current line could sustain that for 60 minutes, but our young players have a complete spring , and next fall to implement a fast paced offense. Look for Lester to use something along those lines next year, that was a masterful series by Eric, and the young playmakers.

This is for Millhouse, and Otto in the grotto, look at the last drive of the 1st half. We got the ball with 1:37 on the clock on our 25, in 7 plays and 59 seconds we moved 65 yards. I don't believe the current line could sustain that for 60 minutes, but our young players have a complete spring , and next fall to implement a fast paced offense. Look for Lester to use something along those lines next year, that was a masterful series by Eric, and the young playmakers.
can't know until we try. might as well experiment this year. maybe it hurts the opposing defense more than it hurts our blocking. could be a disaster too but what better time than now to do something risky

great post and agree with most if not all. With respect to the redzone this is the only spot I question him overall as to how in the hell they haven't instituted a simply I-formation deal with one of the guys mentioned in this thread as a leading FB and Fredricks at Tb.

It's not that hard. Put the damn qb under the damn center (practice it a thousand times if you're worried about a bad exchange). Line up two damn TE's to one side, allow Fredricks to get some momentum toward the LOS and hand him the damn ball. Not out of the realm of reality to say redzone inadequacies and not being able to punch it in from inside the 5 have now potentially if not literally cost us two games.

I'm all in on Shaf in the ways you mention in your post as there is obvious and undeniable progress being shown in all respects, but how he/they can't see this simple reality is causing me to keep some skepticism in the back corner of my mind.

I don't know how much longer fans can be asked to keep our patience. So close but damnit...
on third down runs with 3 or less yards to go, they've converted 14 out of 22. so it's not like their approach is a disaster.

we're actually worse passing there. 6 for 10 with a td and an int.

now this could be anywhere on the field. they're only averaging 2.7 ypc in the rz so long runs might be pulling up the average everywhere else.

on third down runs with 3 or less yards to go, they've converted 14 out of 22. so it's not like their approach is a disaster.

we're actually worse passing there. 6 for 10 with a td and an int.

now this could be anywhere on the field. they're only averaging 2.7 ypc in the rz so long runs might be pulling up the average everywhere else.
Off topic but on. Im glad that the staff passed on Clark if he is not going to be a good fit. Talent is wonderful when it comes with the right attitude. What these guys are building isnt worth messing up for a kid who isnt a good fit.

This team is so close.

He is however in my humble opinion having watched Syracuse since 1964 on the verge of being our next great coach. laugh and put me down but if you know SU and have watched as long as i have we do better with stability.

Go Orange!!

I see Ben Schwartzwalder. A great leader with a talent for getting gifted athletes to come to the snowbelt.

Go Orange!!
After yesterdays game which i have watched again im bumping this thread up as i still believe in my post. Unless these guys lose the rest of their games i believe that it is in the best interest of the program to keep this staff intact for next year. If however they do not win a minimum of 7 games next year i would not extend HCSS and would hire a new coach. My opinion is that HCSS will have one more year not because he deserves it but because firing him at this point would damage the program.

After yesterdays game which i have watched again im bumping this thread up as i still believe in my post. Unless these guys lose the rest of their games i believe that it is in the best interest of the program to keep this staff intact for next year. If however they do not win a minimum of 7 games next year i would not extend HCSS and would hire a new coach. My opinion is that HCSS will have one more year not because he deserves it but because firing him at this point would damage the program.

What do you think should happen if we lose the rest of our games, or only win one more? Serious question. I'm in a similar boat as you, maybe more on the end of needing serious changes but I really don't know what the answer is.

I think one issue with giving him another year is that you would have to assume we win more next year, although I assumed that for this year. So if he wins 6 games next year, people on here will say "see, we were young and need time" which might make it difficult for Coyle to have support to get rid of him. 6 games to me next year is the same as 3 - 4 this year. We have some talent on this team, I want a staff that can get the most out of them. I don't want to waste Dungey's time here on screwing around with the wrong staff and that's not to say that Shafer is the wrong coach entirely but there have been enough questionable decisions in and out of games since he's been the coach it's hard to believe he's the right guy.

What do you think should happen if we lose the rest of our games, or only win one more? Serious question. I'm in a similar boat as you, maybe more on the end of needing serious changes but I really don't know what the answer is.

I think one issue with giving him another year is that you would have to assume we win more next year, although I assumed that for this year. So if he wins 6 games next year, people on here will say "see, we were young and need time" which might make it difficult for Coyle to have support to get rid of him. 6 games to me next year is the same as 3 - 4 this year. We have some talent on this team, I want a staff that can get the most out of them. I don't want to waste Dungey's time here on screwing around with the wrong staff and that's not to say that Shafer is the wrong coach entirely but there have been enough questionable decisions in and out of games since he's been the coach it's hard to believe he's the right guy.
I tend to agree with KCSU, however I'm fading quick with the support. My issue with firing him this year is that I'm not sure there will be a much better upgrade out there with all college openings. I also thing next year would be much more attractive to a coach as there should be much more information out there on the renovations of the dome. This would show a commitment to football.

I think you actually assume they can't sustain it for 60 minutes, but that's fine because if you max out every drive early it gives you breathing room.

Nobody ever talks about offense getting tired. Only defense. There are reasons for that.

I tend to agree with KCSU, however I'm fading quick with the support. My issue with firing him this year is that I'm not sure there will be a much better upgrade out there with all college openings. I also thing next year would be much more attractive to a coach as there should be much more information out there on the renovations of the dome. This would show a commitment to football.
I sound like a broken record but this isnt about shafer it is about the program. Many HS coaches would turn their backs on Syracuse if Shafer wasnt given a fourth year. In addition with Maryland, VA, Rutgers, and Temple all looking for a new coach after this year NJ NY and the east is going to open up to us. Now is not the time but long term i can see Coyle making a move after next year

kcsu said:
I sound like a broken record but this isnt about shafer it is about the program. Many HS coaches would turn their backs on Syracuse if Shafer wasnt given a fourth year. In addition with Maryland, VA, Rutgers, and Temple all looking for a new coach after this year NJ NY and the east is going to open up to us. Now is not the time but long term i can see Coyle making a move after next year

Baloney on the HS coaches. They know how this game is played, a 3 win year and a 4 win year gets people fired. If the next coach was a stand up guy and a good recruiter selling a posited environment then those coaches will help send their players to SU.

Baloney on the HS coaches. They know how this game is played, a 3 win year and a 4 win year gets people fired. If the next coach was a stand up guy and a good recruiter selling a posited environment then those coaches will help send their players to SU.
I dont agree. If the team was playing bad ball and was more of an upper class team i would say yes. The fact that we are basically a frosh RS and Soph team that could easily have won 2 more games screams more time. We had both Pitt and VA beat. We would have loses to SFU first road trip, LSU with our scout team QB in a close game and FSU coming off their first conf loss in forever playing at home on homecoming day. Not too bad. One more year is needed for the programs stability

I would think the accumulated losing would make the highschool coaches turn their backs on us.

I'm not saying we should fire Shafer this year but what's the differnce if all those HS coaches are opening up to us if Shafer is fired next year. We would then have to make up ground to those teams that have had a coach in place for a year. Now of course Shafer could have a good year but right now I don't have much faith in that happening.

It's getting tough to track all the groups that are going to hijack our program if Shafer is fired.

The existing players are all going to transfer.

The HS coaches are all going to turn their backs on us.

What's next, the donors turn away if we change coaches?

The fans will stop coming to games?

TV will stop showing us?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom