Myths vs Reality | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Myths vs Reality

Please commence with critiquing the time frame used, the recruiting service used and everything else. Others have said already that you can not underestimate the impact of the sanctions on the team. We’ll be fine and trends point towards next year resulting in a top 20 recruiting class with more future NBA players.

RELAX!
Good work, but, yeah—critiquing the time frame... choosing 9 years—why? Ease? These statements are at odds with the conclusion and rationalization: "our recruiting is very consistent with where it’s always been... history points towards us never getting top 10 kids"

Always, meaning just the past 9 years? Before that, we did sign top 10 players. Off the top of my head, Pearl, DC1, Billy New O, Winfred Wherefore Art Thou Walton—back when Jimmy was 'hungry,' wasn't lazy, wasn't narcoleptic and aviophobic, and before the Curse of GMac. If you take only the past nine years, the period during which JB has been his oldest, that's like saying i've wasted more time online in the last 25 years than i did in my first 25.

"We can’t develop players properly because of some example pointing towards Rakeem Christmas taking 4 years"
I don't believe you're taking this argument in proper context. Firstly, it's just one example, which can't prove or disprove anything. But, the point about Christmas, i thought, was that you can't credit Hopkins for his development, because he started out at a high level as a McD player, then didn't meet expectations, and then finally did, at the end. So, he if he had "it" to start, where was "it" for three years, and how do you credit development, when "it" was there all along, and if "it" was there all along, what was suppressing it for three years? The criticism is 'what took so long?' That's not an indicator that we can't develop players. It's that you can't say Christmas is proof that we can.

I don't know if i wrote this previously or if it was in something that i wrote and then discarded before posting, but this all (recruiting 'trends') reminds me of the global warming debate. Some people say it's a destructive trend. Some people say it's all part of the natural course of variance. The perspective seems to depend on the individual's agenda, because there can't be an empirical 'truth.' We can't experience it two ways, so there's no way to know. One truth is that we used to have the best/most talent in the conference, on a regular, consistent basis. That was back in the Big East. That is not true in the ACC. When we were the premier program in our conference, we could absorb a down year or two. I kinda feel like we can't absorb as much now, and at some point, after too many years at .500/middle of the ACC pack, it might become a matter of greater permanence.

Does "relax" mean you expect JB to deliver a 'final four' a la Airn Rodgers this year?

"Everyone needs to step away from the crack pipe and take a deep breath."
I would like to not step away and take a deep breath.
You want to stay on that pipe?
Intervention!

The OP is very well thought out, with some interesting data.

The sky probably isn't falling. However, it doesn't invalidate the opinion that we are poorly positioned moving forward, with several potential key gaps on next year's roster, how we might be facing a position where we only have 7-9 scholarship players on next year's squad, how severely lacking at depth we are at PG, 2G, SF for next season, and how JB's impending retirement can be used against us on the recruiting trail in unprecedented ways.

I know, I know -- we still have the spring signing period, we could add 5th year transfers, etc. And undoubtedly we will, but our position for next year is extremely precarious--and this is coming off of a year where we might be facing JB's first losing season in four-plus decades at the helm.

The past few classes haven't set us up for success, no matter what the rankings were. Where are the program guys / juniors / seniors that our program traditionally relies so heavily upon most years? What is up with our perimeter depth, which is usually such a focal point of our offensive system?

Unfortunately, those are big rocks that aren't addressed in the data your present.
$$$ per usual RF. If we were talking about the past this is a great/relevant post, but when you put this post into the present/future it does and proves nothing for me.

I think the perception overlaps the reality.

Last year and this year we had only Moyer committ early. We scrambled for Battle, Thompson, Brisset, Sidibe, Gillon, and White. It left the fanbase with the feeling that our recruiting has slipped.

We were actually fortunate to get who we did the last two years.

So, I see the recent recruiting problems as threefold:

1. Failure to get early recruits to establish a foundation for the class.

2. Lack of backup plans to primary targets - Green being the most prominent of those situations.

3. Failure to identify and lockup any under the radar types. The Andy's and Arinze's of this world. This is where a staff really earn its recruiting pay. Anybody can identify the top 50 kids.

(1) Our recruiting is falling apart, the Staff doesn’t know what they are doing, we are getting outworked on the recruiting trail:

• Actually our recruiting is very consistent with where it’s always been. Based on looking at the . . . Recruiting team rankings over the past 9 years: Every couple years we get a top 10 class, sometimes a top 20, and mostly a top 40.
  • Looking at our last 9 recruiting classes (not counting this year as its not complete)
    • we have 3 top 10 classes (in 2015, 2013, 2010)
    • 2 top 20 (in 2016 and 2011)
    • 3 top 40 (2014, 2012 and 2008)
    • 1 in the high 100’s. (2009)
    • Our last 2 classes have been ranked #18 and #8. Our #18 ranking last year does not include 5th year transfers and transfers.
    • No matter how you cut it this does not point to evidence of a drop off

We are missing all our top targets which mean’s we are lazy, Jimmy is sleeping all the time, GMAC can’t do it etc.

• Well history points towards us never getting top 10 kids and this year was no different. We targeted a lot more highly rated players than normal and struck out (Bamba, Duval, Richards, Diallo). If we didn’t try we would be criticized for not even attempting. These kids are tough to land and we don’t ever do it.
  • In the past 10 recruiting classes (2008-17) we have gotten:
    • zero top 10 players
    • 1 top 20 player (Fab in #14 in 2010)
    • 5 top 21-30 players (McCullough #21 in 2014, Dion #21 in 2010, Ennis #23 in 2013, Christmas #22 in 2011, Carter-Williams #26 in 2011,)
    • 6 top 31-50 players (Malachi #32 in 2015, Battle #37 in 2016 Kaleb #48 in 2014, Robey #40 in 2013, Grant #48 in 2012, Mookie #43 in 2008)
    • 8 top 51-100 players
    • 8 100+ players
  • Our class this year is ranked #66 and will likely move into the 30’s if w eland Ayala and Duarte. Again not counting what we come up with in the 5th year market.
  • Again, not sure we are seeing a downward trend which shows we are not getting the kids we typically get.

We can’t develop players properly because of some example pointing towards Rakeem Christmas taking 4 years

• Since the 2010 recruiting class through 2015 we have recruited 20 high school players. Note: I am excluding 2016 because we don’t know what the current frosh will do NBA wise.
    • 7 of these 20 players are currently earning or earned an NBA paycheck (Malachi, McCullough, Ennis, Grant, Carter-Williams, Dion, Fab Melo).
    • That number will become 8 soon (hopefully not next year) when Lydon goes pro.
    • 8 out of 20 is a 40% NBA success rate on high school recruits is unbelievably high.
    • In this time we have also gone 2 for 2 with transfers earning NBA checks (Michael G and Wes Johnson).
  • Depends what your definition of developing is but if the goal of all these guys is the NBA it’s worked out amazingly well.
Our program is in dire straits, we are at a critical juncture, everyone should jump off a cliff and panic as if we were stuck in the American Athletic conference and playing UCF in rivalry games
  • Since 2010 (which represents a pretty fair recent sample) we have been hugely successful. Close to the top 5 in terms of success.
    • We are tied for 4th in tournament appearances with 6 out of 7
    • Tied for 4th in tournament wins with 15. Tied with UNC, Louisville, Michigan State. Kentucky has 23, Duke has 19 and Kansas has 16.
    • Tied for 6th in overall wins and winning percentage
    • Tied for 4th in Sweet Sixteen’s with 4
    • Tied for 3rd with Final Eights with 3
    • Tied for 2nd in Final Fours with 2
Please commence with critiquing the time frame used, the recruiting service used and everything else. Others have said already that you can not underestimate the impact of the sanctions on the team. We’ll be fine and trends point towards next year resulting in a top 20 recruiting class with more future NBA players.

RELAX!

I wish I could 'like' this x100. Well done, sir. The Negative Nancy's in the thread are turds.

The past few classes haven't set us up for success, no matter what the rankings were. We've lost numerous key players to early entry, several before expected [Ennis, Mali, Grant]--but where are the program guys / juniors / seniors that our program traditionally relies so heavily upon most years? What is up with our perimeter depth, which is usually such a focal point of our offensive system?

Unfortunately, those are big rocks that aren't addressed in the data your present.

In Omaha, Philadelphia, and Indianapolis. Not really where we'd like them to be.

(1) Our recruiting is falling apart, the Staff doesn’t know what they are doing, we are getting outworked on the recruiting trail:

• Actually our recruiting is very consistent with where it’s always been. Based on looking at the . . . Recruiting team rankings over the past 9 years: Every couple years we get a top 10 class, sometimes a top 20, and mostly a top 40.
  • Looking at our last 9 recruiting classes (not counting this year as its not complete)
    • Our last 2 classes have been ranked #18 and #8. Our #18 ranking last year does not include 5th year transfers and transfers.

We are missing all our top targets which mean’s we are lazy, Jimmy is sleeping all the time, GMAC can’t do it etc.

• Well history points towards us never getting top 10 kids and this year was no different. We targeted a lot more highly rated players than normal and struck out (Bamba, Duval, Richards, Diallo). If we didn’t try we would be criticized for not even attempting. These kids are tough to land and we don’t ever do it.
    • zero top 10 players
    • 5 top 21-30 players (McCullough #21 in 2014, Dion #21 in 2010, Ennis #23 in 2013, Christmas #22 in 2011, Carter-Williams #26 in 2011,)
    • 6 top 31-50 players (Malachi #32 in 2015, Battle #37 in 2016 Kaleb #48 in 2014, Robey #40 in 2013, Grant #48 in 2012, Mookie #43 in 2008)
    • 8 top 51-100 players
    • 8 100+ players
  • Our class this year is ranked #66 and will likely move into the 30’s if w eland Ayala and Duarte. Again not counting what we come up with in the 5th year market.
  • Again, not sure we are seeing a downward trend which shows we are not getting the kids we typically get.

We can’t develop players properly because of some example pointing towards Rakeem Christmas taking 4 years

• Since the 2010 recruiting class through 2015 we have recruited 20 high school players. Note: I am excluding 2016 because we don’t know what the current frosh will do NBA wise.
    • 7 of these 20 players are currently earning or earned an NBA paycheck (Malachi, McCullough, Ennis, Grant, Carter-Williams, Dion, Fab Melo).
    • 8 out of 20 is a 40% NBA success rate on high school recruits is unbelievably high.
    • In this time we have also gone 2 for 2 with transfers earning NBA checks (Michael G and Wes Johnson).
  • Depends what your definition of developing is but if the goal of all these guys is the NBA it’s worked out amazingly well.
Our program is in dire straits, we are at a critical juncture, everyone should jump off a cliff and panic as if we were stuck in the American Athletic conference and playing UCF in rivalry games
  • Since 2010 (which represents a pretty fair recent sample) we have been hugely successful. Close to the top 5 in terms of success.
    • Tied for 4th in tournament wins with 15. Tied with UNC, Louisville, Michigan State. Kentucky has 23, Duke has 19 and Kansas has 16.

RELAX!
What you have done (and some what correctly) is take a longer view than the handwringers. JB took Bud to task for just looking back 3 years. as Oraiste did right after your OP. That includes how last years results were "covered up" by the FF run. Again, as I have pointed out, the NCAA limits have hurt recruiting by limiting who they can go after. Whiff on the high end kids and get left with less quality on top of the less quantity to work with. When recruiting was being done for this year, there were a limited amount of ships available when suddenly 2 kids left making it a scramble to bring in kids at the last moment.

Nothing against the BE, since I think they were the greatest basketball conference ever, but no way are we ever going to go 17-1 in the ACC. Recruiting is a great debate. You get someone like Malachi who overachieved and went pro before anyone expected him to. Would we still have the same issues at if he was still here. You could argue yes, unless he or Battle became great point guards. Or you get someone like DC who due to injuries never became as good as his ranking. There are so many factors involved: JAB retiring, losing scholarships, less coaches on the road, guys leaving early. No question that the Final Four last years masked some problems, but reality is that we went to the Final Four. No one can take that away from Syracuse. I definitely believe that the transition to Hop is not going to be eazy peazey and since we've been so spoiled that we are going to have these kind of moments. It's been 47 years since the last losing season but we still have the dome, we still have the ACC and we still have Syracuse University. Everyone needs to step away from the crack pipe and take a deep breath.

In my opinion, an astounding yes. For me, for the most part, Battle cancels out Malachi. It is the point guard situation that is overwhelmingly the most glaring issue and concern. After Ennis, we struck out with Joseph, and Howard appears to be another swing and miss. Gillon, being the bottom of the ninth, two out pinch hitter, hasn't come through as hoped, and, for obvious reasons, he isn't the future. We were fortunate to have G the last couple of seasons, who basically kept us treading water. (see overall and ACC records). With another swing and miss on Quade, and, currently nobody committed for next year at the most critical position on the floor, it's a substantial detriment and issue.

• zero top 10 players
    • 8 top 51-100 players
    • 8 100+ players

RELAX!
This post is classic reminder that you can write a long, well written post and not make much sense. Most of this post is nothing more than your opinion, which is fine. But don't disguise it as fact.

Denial is dangerous. Oh so dangerous.

The OP is very well thought out, with some interesting data.

The sky probably isn't falling. However, it doesn't invalidate the opinion that we are poorly positioned moving forward, with several potential key gaps on next year's roster, how we might be facing a position where we only have 7-9 scholarship players on next year's squad, how severely lacking at depth we are at PG, 2G, SF for next season, and how JB's impending retirement can be used against us on the recruiting trail in unprecedented ways.

I know, I know -- we still have the spring signing period, we could add 5th year transfers, etc. And undoubtedly we will, but our position for next year is extremely precarious--and this is coming off of a year where we might be facing JB's first losing season in four-plus decades at the helm.

The past few classes haven't set us up for success, no matter what the rankings were. We've lost numerous key players to early entry, several before expected [Ennis, Mali, Grant]--but where are the program guys / juniors / seniors that our program traditionally relies so heavily upon most years? What is up with our perimeter depth, which is usually such a focal point of our offensive system?

Cherry picking data is no different than offering a one sided opinion.

I think one of the biggest myths is that if Quade had opted to come here, there would be no problems. Whatever the reason the last 3 seasons have not been what we are accustomed to, and I don't think a somewhat cant' miss PG changes the future that much.

I think the perception overlaps the reality.

Last year and this year we had only Moyer committ early. We scrambled for Battle, Thompson, Brisset, Sidibe, Gillon, and White. It left the fanbase with the feeling that our recruiting has slipped.

We were actually fortunate to get who we did the last two years.

So, I see the recent recruiting problems as threefold:

1. Failure to get early recruits to establish a foundation for the class.

2. Lack of backup plans to primary targets - Green being the most prominent of those situations.

3. Failure to identify and lockup any under the radar types. The Andy's and Arinze's of this world. This is where a staff really earn its recruiting pay. Anybody can identify the top 50 kids.
I'd call Lydon and Thompson two relatively under the radar types that look like home runs.

This post is classic reminder that you can write a long, well written post and not make much sense. Most of this post is nothing more than your opinion, which is fine. But don't disguise it as fact.

Denial is dangerous. Oh so dangerous.
Is that what Jim told you?

I'd call Lydon and Thompson two relatively under the radar types that look like home runs.
Yes, I would definitely put Lydon in the category of under the radar early commit home run recruit. However, he is not part of the last two classes, which is what I referenced in my post.

Thompson was hardly under the radar by the time he committed. If I remember correctly, he was always a solid Top 100 kid and just about the top remaining uncommitted big at the time of his commitment. In terms of my reference about us scrambling by not getting early commitments, he is the poster boy for that example.

I think part of the perception problem is that for years and years we generally had a good chunk of our classes locked up early. In fact, it seemed like we hardly ever got a late (spring) recruit. The last two years have been the exact opposite.

So that raises the issue, is there a problem with our recruiting or are the last two years the new normal ?

My opinion on that is that it appears the recruiting landscape is changing a bit & fewer kids are committing very early. However, that being stated, we seem to not be getting our share of the relatively early recruits lately. The staff for some reason (probably post-probation mindset) seems to be stingy in giving out scholies to any under the radar types. Now we have lot's of rooms at the inn, save a couple for studs, but get the rest filled up.

TCuse99 said:
This post is classic reminder that you can write a long, well written post and not make much sense. Most of this post is nothing more than your opinion, which is fine. But don't disguise it as fact. Denial is dangerous. Oh so dangerous.

Makes sense to me and is the most fact based post in this thread.

Makes sense to me and is the most fact based post in this thread.
Agree to disagree Bees. You are a great poster who I have enjoyed following over the years, unlike that pearl31 guy who is a troll and who is the reason I get several PMs a day saying to just ignore him and to keep posting. It's all good.

Using class rankings as a barometer for success is just so silly there's no way to even argue it.

I just want a center and a point guard. You can find the other positions because they are so plentiful, but our lack of a true center and no point guard kills us.
Frontline players are optional extras these days; guards win you NCs, as UConn and Villanova have proven. Even traditional point guards aren't really required as long as you have multiple versatile guards...
But that would require getting multiple ball handling/shooting type players; and probably scraping the Zone. Oh well...

Yes, I would definitely put Lydon in the category of under the radar early commit home run recruit. However, he is not part of the last two classes, which is what I referenced in my post.

Thompson was hardly under the radar by the time he committed. If I remember correctly, he was always a solid Top 100 kid and just about the top remaining uncommitted big at the time of his commitment. In terms of my reference about us scrambling by not getting early commitments, he is the poster boy for that example.

I think part of the perception problem is that for years and years we generally had a good chunk of our classes locked up early. In fact, it seemed like we hardly ever got a late (spring) recruit. The last two years have been the exact opposite.

So that raises the issue, is there a problem with our recruiting or are the last two years the new normal ?

My opinion on that is that it appears the recruiting landscape is changing a bit & fewer kids are committing very early. However, that being stated, we seem to not be getting our share of the relatively early recruits lately. The staff for some reason (probably post-probation mindset) seems to be stingy in giving out scholies to any under the radar types. Now we have lot's of rooms at the inn, save a couple for studs, but get the rest filled up.
You're right about Thompson not being an unknown quantity. I guess what I was getting at is that what he appears to be at this point is much more than his 80ish class ranking would suggest. To me, that would be a home run for the staff.

In an overall sense, I think it's hard to say when a recruiting trend (positive or negative) truly exists simply because we're dealing with very small class sizes (typically two to four players) and outcomes that can easily skew in one direction because of one player or one injury or one unforseen event.

Agree to disagree Bees. You are a great poster who I have enjoyed following over the years, unlike that pearl31 guy who is a troll and who is the reason I get several PMs a day saying to just ignore him and to keep posting. It's all good.

Using class rankings as a barometer for success is just so silly there's no way to even argue it.
What are you supposed to use then. No one is saying class ranking are the only thing that matter and there are lower ranked kids that become better but when you are trying to compare recruiting classes that is kind of what we have to work with.

You should tell Jim that he needs a new barometer!

Frontline players are optional extras these days; guards win you NCs, as UConn and Villanova have proven. Even traditional point guards aren't really required as long as you have multiple versatile guards...
But that would require getting multiple ball handling/shooting type players; and probably scraping the Zone. Oh well...

guards are great until you meet david robinson or blake griffin in the tourney ...

Mookie Wilson was a legend

His son hit about a 900 foot home run against us in a HS tournament. The ball may not have landed yet. He played in the pros for a bit as well.

SU Recruiting Rankings - 2006 to 2017 per . . . Sports

2006 – ranked # 14 P. Harris, M. Jones, Devin-McBride

2007 – ranked # 3 Flynn, Jackson, Ongenaet, S. Williams, D. Greene, Jardine

2008 – ranked #39 Kris Joseph, Mookie Wilson

2009 – ranked #190 Brandon Triche, Southerland, DaShonte Riley

2010 – ranked # 5 Fab Melo, Dion Waiters, C J Fair, Baye Moussa

2011 – ranked # 14 MCW, Cooney, Christmas

2012 – ranked # 39 Jerami Grant, Dajuan Coleman

2013 - ranked # 8 Tyler Ennis, Roberson, B J Johnson, Patterson, Chinoso

2014 – ranked # 33 C McCullough, Kaleb Joseph

2015 – ranked # 8 Malachi Richardson, Lydon, Howard, Diagne*

2016 – ranked # 17 Tyus Battle, Taurean Thompson, Matthew Moyer

2017 – ranked # 57 Brisset, Sidibe

That list says we can recruit SFs, and big men well enough, but ooooooooooooooh boy, do we suck at getting/evaluating guards.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom