Naheem McLeod Transferring to Syracuse (5/15/23) | Page 16 | Syracusefan.com

Naheem McLeod Transferring to Syracuse (5/15/23)

Have there been any reports about his play/workouts over the summer? I’ve seen a lot about the guards, but nothing about him. Is it really a foregone conclusion that he’s the starter over Hima? Does Hima have an injury?
It was mentioned that Hima has knee issues unfortunately and it sounded like he’s a go then no go in practice sometimes.

Have there been any reports about his play/workouts over the summer? I’ve seen a lot about the guards, but nothing about him. Is it really a foregone conclusion that he’s the starter over Hima? Does Hima have an injury?
Hima won’t even be the second option at center. That will be Brown as an alternative small ball lineup.

We're going to be guard oriented, no doubt. But McLeod has been putting in the work. See post #358 for a glimpse.

We're going to be guard oriented, no doubt. But McLeod has been putting in the work. See post #358 for a glimpse.
Thanks. I saw that video. Not sure I understand that drill for him, though. I don’t anticipate (m)any situations where our 7-footer will be so wide open from 10’ that he can catch, make no moves, and start a shooting motion from his stomach.

I hope he becomes a dominant player. I think I saw someone report that he’s further along than Jesse was at the same age or somesuch? I think he’s going to make an impact with all those guards zipping around. Putbacks, pick and rolls, and lobs shouid be plentiful,

Thanks. I saw that video. Not sure I understand that drill for him, though. I don’t anticipate (m)any situations where our 7-footer will be so wide open from 10’ that he can catch, make no moves, and start a shooting motion from his stomach.

I hope he becomes a dominant player. I think I saw someone report that he’s further along than Jesse was at the same age or somesuch? I think he’s going to make an impact with all those guards zipping around. Putbacks, pick and rolls, and lobs shouid be plentiful,

The Jesse comment was about Patterson. McLeod is huge, extremely mobile and a good athlete and as Griff spoke should get a good share of lobs and be a rim protector. He's your starter. With that said for teams that want to run smaller and think they can abuse McLeod in screening action ( Griff mentioned he can really move thoug)- Brown is your do it all small ball 5. He's added weight and you can see i and is our best defender given he can guard multiple positions as well as rebounder. Brown is a curious case as he has not had a green light to shoot outside 5 ft but his shot looks pretty clean and I see him taking those corner 3s in the drills.

The Jesse comment was about Patterson. McLeod is huge, extremely mobile and a good athlete and as Griff spoke should get a good share of lobs and be a rim protector. He's your starter. With that said for teams that want to run smaller and think they can abuse McLeod in screening action ( Griff mentioned he can really move thoug)- Brown is your do it all small ball 5. He's added weight and you can see i and is our best defender given he can guard multiple positions as well as rebounder. Brown is a curious case as he has not had a green light to shoot outside 5 ft but his shot looks pretty clean and I see him taking those corner 3s in the drills.
Thank you.
I really do not want to see Brown at the 5. I hope to be proven wrong about that specific pessimism….

Thank you.
I really do not want to see Brown at the 5. I hope to be proven wrong about that specific pessimism….
The thing is when we played Florida State last year they were switching on everything on defense, and Joe was forcing McLeod into mismatches and it worked. We were losing so JB adjusted Jesse to take away the lob on defense and the guards to get McLeod into a switch and we pulled away and won. So in that case Brown can sub in and shut it down. He can generally guard 1-5. Match up based I assume. You probably won’t see Brown on Edey in Hawaii.

The thing is when we played Florida State last year they were switching on everything on defense, and Joe was forcing McLeod into mismatches and it worked. We were losing so JB adjusted Jesse to take away the lob on defense and the guards to get McLeod into a switch and we pulled away and won. So in that case Brown can sub in and shut it down. He can generally guard 1-5. Match up based I assume. You probably won’t see Brown on Edey in Hawaii.
The great thing about this roster is we have the tools for everything.

If we play a big team filled with big slow guys grinding us on the boards, go big with McLeod, Brown and Williams.

We play a team running a quick combo forward at the five, boom. Sub in Brown, Westry and Taylor at the forwards.

We find we can't get any traction against a tough half court defense, put in Copeland, Mintz, Westry and Brown with Hima guarding the back line... Instant offense from the press.

We get in severe frontcourt foil trouble, Carey shows what he can do.

Most situations that occur in a game, we will have something we can throw at it.

With his size and a good delivery of the pass, he is always open. Now, if he can pass out of the high post, we may really have something.

McLeod is better at stretching out other defenses than you might expected. He’s got a nice long range shot from what I saw in a random workout session. Someone told me he was in the gym a lot working out.

Got a chance to meet McLeod yesterday, this man is so large it’s mind blowing. I played high school basketball and volleyball so I had a lot of teammates who were 6’7. Its mind altering to meet someone who is 7’4. Christmas mentioned just how big McLeod was around the rim. He wasn't kidding.

Last edited:
Yeah, apparently Stevie could hit FT’s at a decent clip in practice.

Just not in games.

One of the more bizarre career stat lines for a 6’2” wing:
56% from the field.
53% from FT line.
Reminds me of Bruce Bowen when he played. Shot almost 40% from 3 for his career, but only about 58% FT. Solid defender though!

Well shooting in the gym vs a game are different.
Just a little. From 82-88 I played a lot of pick up against Varsity players from my school and from SU. Most of their games are very influenced by the coaching and level of play at the D1 level. We had a 6'6" small forward that couldn't hit the side of the arena (actually he may have a few times) in a D1 game. Get him in the rec gym and he's Reggie Miller. Also against a 3Pt shooter that couldn't get a shot off in pickup. Matt Roe was a ball handling wizard in pickup games. Derek Brower would drill open jumpers regularly in pickup games. Thankfully he didn't try to take players down low. Herm Harried also shot lights out. I've said before Sherm wouldn't take a shot. He'd just dribble around until one of his guys was standing wide open. Sherm left me sitting on the ground more than once and he would get a little smile on his face. He even reached down to help me up once while still dribbling. Kind of a 'sorry I made you look foolish' help up.

McLeod is better at stretching out other defenses than you might expected. He’s got a nice long range shot from what I saw in a random workout session. Someone told me he was in the gym a lot working out.
Every single year of SU basketball we see videos of a center or hope of our center hitting midrange shots and every single year they don’t hit mid range shots. I won’t hold my breath on McLeod taking any shot outside of a layup or dunk.

Every single year of SU basketball we see videos of a center or hope of our center hitting midrange shots and every single year they don’t hit mid range shots. I won’t hold my breath on McLeod taking any shot outside of a layup or dunk.

If we are in any way relying on that from him... well that should sum up where things stand for the season

how do we think his hands are, specifically catching passes?

Wow 7-7 is how tall he is supposed to be? Rothstein will be thrilled to report he is 8-2 next summer.
I may be nit picking, but is that in sneakers?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom