Nate Oats and Alabama | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

Nate Oats and Alabama

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well this goes to show having a player involved in a murder isnt a death sentence for the coach, pun intended

Gets a contract extension 2 weeks after the incident. That story got swept up and stored away real quick. Its amazing what you can get away with when you are winning, compared to the debates on JB here.
There’s so many bad takes on this website, but this one takes the cake lol thanks for the laugh

Well this goes to show having a player involved in a murder isnt a death sentence for the coach, pun intended

Gets a contract extension 2 weeks after the incident. That story got swept up and stored away real quick. Its amazing what you can get away with when you are winning, compared to the debates on JB here.
Nate learned from the mistakes of Baylor in the early aughts. Don't actively try to cover the murder up.

For those thinking Syracuse would ever buy out Oats from Bama, you’re not living on this earth.
Agreed.

Could we match the deal he just got from Alabama? I hope so.
Could we give him another $1 million or so annually to incentivize him to jump? Maybe.
Could we do all that and drop another eight figures on a buyout? Seems pretty unlikely.

That's all before Bama getting a chance to match/top our offer, which would probably increase the cost even further. Anything is possible, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Last edited:
Well nothing from a legal standpoint but don't you think that is a bad look for his program?

Isnt there a question of the character of player(s) he is bringing into his program after something like that? Timing of the extension is a little questionable, wouldn't you think?
What’s your view on gang rapes and beating women?

Oh wowzers, 0-100 real quick
I mean stuff gets swept under the rug everywhere. Hell, coaches sometimes even fight to get the players eligible faster in cases like this.

I mean stuff gets swept under the rug everywhere. Hell, coaches sometimes even fight to get the players eligible faster in cases like this.
Oh I 100% agree, winning cures all

Oh I 100% agree, winning cures all
And that's my point, if he didn't have a top 5 team right now are they in such a rush to extendand announce it after the incident in January? They could have done this and waited until after the regular season or in the off season actually to announce it.

Agreed it’s not, but throwing stones when it comes player misconduct. I’m not saying it’s right, but I’ve almost given up on society doing the right thing these days.
I guess a part of me still believes that college coaching is being a father figure and leading you men into making the right decisions so they can contribute into society. I'm sure Oates has been successful in doing this but something might have been missed w this individual and now there is a victim unfortunately. And fairly or unfairly thatkind of reflects on the coach a little bit.

I guess a part of me still believes that college coaching is being a father figure and leading you men into making the right decisions so they can contribute into society. I'm sure Oates has been successful in doing this but something might have been missed w this individual and now there is a victim unfortunately. And fairly or unfairly thatkind of reflects on the coach a little bit.
I love Eric Devendorf, he’s turned his life around, but when he was here he was a disaster and I’m sure he would say he was. He seemed to turn it around after he left, JB went to bad for him and got him cleared before he should’ve after a heinous incident, it’s hard to pin this stuff on coaches. If Oats lobbied for this kid it would be one thing, but it’s difficult to fault someone when you don’t have complete control over them, would be a weird team meeting if you closed it by saying “let’s not murder anyone tonight”, should be something that would just be implied.

And that's my point, if he didn't have a top 5 team right now are they in such a rush to extendand announce it after the incident in January? They could have done this and waited until after the regular season or in the off season actually to announce it.
Maybe they are impressed with the way he’s handled this incident. Maybe he’s provided the type of leadership that has supported his team and program. We’re not there.

So Justin Taylor averages more mid range jumpers per game than the entire Alabama team? Lol. Not throwing shade at Justin but seems like he loves those 2 feet inside the arc shots.

Alabama number 1 team in the country. Knew this guy could coach and the dream is dead for SU, but they are a great team to watch. What could have been….
I'm still clinging to the hope that his wife hates it down there. And, being close to family, plus SU breaking the piggy bank open for Oats, still salvages this horrible missed opportunity.

I'm still clinging to the hope that his wife hates it down there. And, being close to family, plus SU breaking the piggy bank open for Oats, still salvages this horrible missed opportunity.
What missed opportunity? There hasn’t been an open job at SU in 47 years. Even when JB was supposedly on his way to retirement the university already had a successor named.

Going to be funny watching the SEC football money machine go to battle within their own conference for coaches. I could see a Premier League like environment of crazy money getting thrown around.

He aint coming here. He can already assemble enough talent to win a national title there.

Only scenario he comes here is if his performance falls off and his seat gets hot and he needs a soft landing spot and the years would need to align. Kinda like what I could see happening with Calipari and Texas.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuse13159

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors