NBA discussing age limit increase | Syracusefan.com

NBA discussing age limit increase

jvbj01

All Conference
"According to multiple sources, a proposed plan that is circulating now would see the age limit extended from its current position — one year after high school graduation — to three years, essentially barring most players from entering the NBA until they are 20 or 21.

The sources said that, in order to pave the way for raising the age limit, the league would be willing to expand salaries in the D-League, giving each team a salary cap and allowing executives with each team to sign players as they wish. Not only would that allow D-League teams to sign good young players, it would allow NBA clubs to size up young executives and player evaluators."

This would have to be negotiated with the union.

I pulled this from NBC sport stalk.

Imagine the impact. Will 3 or 4, five start recruits want to go to Kentucky every year if the one and drones aren't allowed? This would allow other programs to become deeper and get some of that talent.

Imagine the impact. Will 3 or 4, five start recruits want to go to Kentucky every year if the one and drones aren't allowed? This would allow other programs to become deeper and get some of that talent.

It just means Anthony Davis and guys like that would have to stay three years...but Noel would look elsewhere.

It just means Anthony Davis and guys like that would have to stay three years...but Noel would look elsewhere.

Yes, that is what I am talking about.

"According to multiple sources, a proposed plan that is circulating now would see the age limit extended from its current position — one year after high school graduation — to three years, essentially barring most players from entering the NBA until they are 20 or 21.

The sources said that, in order to pave the way for raising the age limit, the league would be willing to expand salaries in the D-League, giving each team a salary cap and allowing executives with each team to sign players as they wish. Not only would that allow D-League teams to sign good young players, it would allow NBA clubs to size up young executives and player evaluators."

This would have to be negotiated with the union.

I pulled this from NBC sport stalk.
This is posturing. They don't actually expect that plan to happen. Now they've given themselves room to negotiate it to where they really want - 2 years removed from highschool, little to no change to the D-League.

No it doesn't. Guys like Anthony Davis and Noel would not be in college at all and would go straight to D-League with the new rules. That's the point of raising salaries there. They would then play in D-league until they are 21 then and can go to an NBA team. Other option if you don't care about the money is to attend college for 3 years.

At least that's the objective. However we all know Kentucky pays much better than D-League in this scenario so not sure if much will change. It will lower the amount of 18 year old NBA ready talent but not for all teams. Overall talent level however will go up significantly because players like Ennis who had no chance to be NBA ready out of high school would then be forced to stay 3 years in college if they blow up freshman year.

But yeah this is a pipe-dream to happen.

Wouldn't this violate Spencer Haywood vs. NBA?

Wouldn't this violate Spencer Haywood vs. NBA?

Good question, they're bypassing this by allowing you to play in D-League whenever you want. D-League teams can sign with no age restrictions while NBA gets a 20 year restriction which is just a +2 to current restriction they have in place already.

No it doesn't. Guys like Anthony Davis and Noel would not be in college at all and would go straight to D-League with the new rules. That's the point of raising salaries there. They would then play in D-league until they are 21 then and can go to an NBA team. Other option if you don't care about the money is to attend college for 3 years.

At least that's the objective. However we all know Kentucky pays much better than D-League in this scenario so not sure if much will change. It will lower the amount of 18 year old NBA ready talent but not for all teams. Overall talent level however will go up significantly because players like Ennis who had no chance to be NBA ready out of high school would then be forced to stay 3 years in college if they blow up freshman year.

But yeah this is a pipe-dream to happen.

Yeah I wasn't sure about that part...so it's basically like the baseball setup. Go pro or stay three years.

This is posturing. They don't actually expect that plan to happen. Now they've given themselves room to negotiate it to where they really want - 2 years removed from highschool, little to no change to the D-League.

I understand posturing and negotiating. Two years would be fine, in my opinion and that is probably what the end result will be. It will be interesting if players out of High School do go to the d league because there is more money involved. (If it is passed)

I understand posturing and negotiating. Two years would be fine, in my opinion and that is probably what the end result will be. It will be interesting if players out of High School do go to the d league because there is more money involved. (If it is passed)
I'm sure you'll see some, and that's fine. Higher education isn't a place where everyone can be happy.

That said, I do hope the D-League would become a little more higher ed-like if they do move the age requirement up. I've heard about the teams getting partnerships set up with local universities and community colleges to offer courses on personal finance, health and nutrition, sports management, etc. I think that makes a lot of sense in terms of working both in the best interests of the players, as well as the NBA making good investments in their future.

As is, why would a really good player go to college for 3 years instead of earning at least a decent salary in D league? Can develop your game either way and why not get paid to do it? It also would seem that NBA teams, having invested more in their D league team players now, might be more willing to bring up rising D talent vs. talent from 3-year college kids, in theory. Agree with others that this won't happen and some 2-year compromise eventually will.

Except, that by forcing good players into the D-League, they don't have to pay them a competitive salary.

Yeah I wasn't sure about that part...so it's basically like the baseball setup. Go pro or stay three years.

Would players stay in college or jump to the d-league?
There is currently a 3 tier salary structure for players in the D league. The 3 tiers are $25,550, $19,000, and $13,000.

Salaries remain flat: $25,500, $19,000 and $13,000 for the league's three player classifications, which means D-League players are virtually playing for free -- and a modest per diem on the road of $40 compared to $120 in the NBA.

So even if they raise the salaries some it's not that attractive. Some players who just can't stand school work might jump. But if you play for a major program that is always on national TV and getting solid coaching/development why would you give up the showcase for that?

There is currently a 3 tier salary structure for players in the D league. The 3 tiers are $25,550, $19,000, and $13,000.

Salaries remain flat: $25,500, $19,000 and $13,000 for the league's three player classifications, which means D-League players are virtually playing for free -- and a modest per diem on the road of $40 compared to $120 in the NBA.

So even if they raise the salaries some it's not that attractive. Some players who just can't stand school work might jump. But if you play for a major program that is always on national TV and getting solid coaching/development why would you give up the showcase for that?

That's unbelievably low.

We should ask them to hurry this through and make it retroactive to this past March- welcome back Tyler and Jerami! :)

Agreed...I'd rather take the free room and board with no real expenses with a great program than work for peanuts and struggle to pay the bills.

$25,500 isn't much but for a high school grad, it's the equivalent of a full time job of 40 hours a week for 52 weeks at over $12 an hour playing a sport they love for 4 and a half months. It's also the base salary for Triple A baseball players. (Double and single A are lower). I wonder what these players do the remaining 7 and a half months to keep in shape currently? Bet many at least for some of that time head back to their former colleges to use their facilities so if you never attended a college...

Another thing that kids may not think of when young is if they ever want to coach, that other than AAU almost every other level of coaching requires a 4 year college degree. Certainly delays that secondary dream.

That said, except for those that really hate school - why go the D-League route?

Last edited:
Agreed...I'd rather take the free room and board with no real expenses with a great program than work for peanuts and struggle to pay the bills.
I believe they also get free room and board as NBDL players.