NBA Draft 2015 | Syracusefan.com

NBA Draft 2015

Melancer46

Living Legend
Just figured we might want to discuss everything that goes down at the draft tonight. A couple storylines:

1. The 3rd and 4th picks have a chance to shake everything up. Supposedly Philly may be leaning towards Mudiay at 3. Could also trade down. And nobody really knows what the Knicks are going to do. They've been linked to Russell, Porzingis, Kaminsky, Lyles, Winslow, etc.

2. Near and dear to our hearts, the Bucks beat writer (who admittedly is wrong like 90% of the time) says Milwaukee may trade MCW in a package to get up into the top 10.

3. How does the Batum trade impact what Charlotte does at #9.

4. Spurs looking to trade up into the lottery.

5. Lakers/Cousins talk

It seems like the Knicks are also seriously considering Hezonja from Croatia. I think that would be an interesting pick but unfortunately would not help them for another year or two.

I have a gut feeling Philly takes Mudiay when it's all said and done.

It seems like the Knicks are also seriously considering Hezonja from Croatia. I think that would be an interesting pick but unfortunately would not help them for another year or two.

I love him, and I think he'd be a great fit in the triangle. Incredibly talented guy with the mindset of a superstar.

rak will be the steal of the draft
Russell one of the busts
oakafor not towns is the best player
alridge will be a knick

My predictions

• Okafor will turn out better than Towns, but Towns will still be a good player.
  • I think D'Angelo Russell, Trey Lyles, Jerian Grant, Montrez Harrell will all turn out to be the best first round picks
  • Busts: Willie Cauley Stein
  • Second round steals: Rak of course, Larry Nance Jr (gotta show Wyoming some love for my mom and he is super athletic), Alan Williams, Olivier Hanlan,

I don't exactly know why but I love Russell. I think he's going to be a really good player. Maybe it's just the combo of a 2 guard who can shoot like that but also has great passing ability.

As a Knicks fan, I am filled with an impending sense of doom because you just know they're going to screw this up tonight.

Sweetney, Lampje, Wiess, Gallo, Hill, the list goes ON and ON.

Not understanding the love for Okafor. Didn't anyone just watch the NBA finals? Who exactly did Okafor remind you of on either of those teams? And who would he have guarded?

Not understanding the love for Okafor. Didn't anyone just watch the NBA finals? Who exactly did Okafor remind you of on either of those teams? And who would he have guarded?
I think he will be a good player, maybe along the lines of Al Jefferson, but your right im not as high on him as others. I think Towns on the other hand has way more upside and will be much better on defense from day 1.

I think he will be a good player, maybe along the lines of Al Jefferson, but your right im not as high on him as others. I think Towns on the other hand has way more upside and will be much better on defense from day 1.

I also think Willy Cauley-stein is going to be a huge bust. That high energy stuff is great when you are the most athletic, but he's going to get whooped on by NBA bigs.

On the other hand, Draymond Green could not guard Okafor. Golden State works because there aren't too many dominant big men. If you replace Mozgov or Thompson with Dwight Howard, Anthony Davis or Demarcus Cousins I don't think Draymond Green is playing Center.

The reason Draymond Green at C worked is because Cleveland didn't have someone that could score on him. Okafor would eat him for lunch on the post. It's the same thing with what Milwaukee did. They defended Joakim Noah with Jared Dudley because Noah couldn't make them pay, but they had to defend Pau Gasol with a legit center and double team him because they couldn't handle him. Small ball doesn't work if you're facing a dominant scoring big man, which Okafor has the potential to be.

On the other hand, Draymond Green could not guard Okafor. Golden State works because there aren't too many dominant big men. If you replace Mozgov or Thompson with Dwight Howard, Anthony Davis or Demarcus Cousins I don't think Draymond Green is playing Center.
The reason Draymond Green at C worked is because Cleveland didn't have someone that could score on him. Okafor would eat him for lunch on the post. It's the same thing with what Milwaukee did. They defended Joakim Noah with Jared Dudley because Noah couldn't make them pay, but they had to defend Pau Gasol with a legit center and double team him because they couldn't handle him. Small ball doesn't work if you're facing a dominant scoring big man, which Okafor has the potential to be.

I get what you are both saying, but I could see Okafor in foul trouble in about 2 minutes if you had even a serviceable big man, including Draymond Green. Dude is slow.

• Former #1 overall pick (and father of Klay) Mychal Thompson says he believes that, when we look back in 4 years, it will be clear that Porzingas is the best player in the draft. If he and Mudiay drop out of the top 4, they will be the steals of the draft.
  • Rondae Hollis-Jefferson is the best value pick outside of the lottery.
  • There is an outside chance he goes in the first round, but if not then Roc is the best value pick in the 2nd round.

Last edited:
I get what you are both saying, but I could see Okafor in foul trouble in about 2 minutes if you had even a serviceable big man, including Draymond Green. Dude is slow.

He could just play off Green. Green isn't a good enough shooter to overcome how many points he'd be giving up on the block. And likewise, Green may be forced to foul Okafor and get into foul trouble himself.

If you watched Golden State throughout the year, Bogut was one of the most important players on the team. Just because he didn't play in the finals doesn't mean centers have no use in the NBA anymore. If you have a big man that can force double teams like Okafor almost certainly would if he were defended by Green (and he might demand double teams even if defended by legit centers), that's a huge advantage.

Just a few predictions I have on the main guys in the draft.

Towns, I think he will be solid, don't think he will be the game changer that he's projected to be. Maybe Cousins lite.

Okafor, think he is very capable of averaging 20+ a game a year or two in. I think he is the best big in the draft and will be a multiple time all star for the next 10 years.

Russell, he's good, but I don't think he's going to live up to the hype he has now. I don't think he rebounds as well as he did in college, I think he is an overrated passer, and with the defense he's going to have on him his shooting numbers are going to plummet.

Mudiay, think whatever team drafts Russell ahead of Mudiay is making a mistake, and I think they'll realize it the second year into these guys careers. I think Mudiay can put up some gaudy numbers within the next 3 years while Russell fizzles into mediocrity.

Hezonja, the one Euro I like that's projected in the lottery, think he be a 30+ minute guy for years putting up solid numbers.

Porzingis, the hype is real, his size is real, but I'm not sure he is. Part of the love for him is his ability to shoot and "play the 3". ZERO chance this guy plays the three in the NBA with the defense in the league at that position, on sheer size alone he would be stripped every time he has the ball. Put him at the 4 and he's going to get crushed underneath. It's not because he's a euro, but this guy is Darko #2.

Winslow, I don't like him as much as some people do, but I think he will carve out a nice career in the NBA whether he plays the 2 or 3, speaking of 3s, could you imagine Porzingis trying to drive past Winslow let alone the Leonards, Butlers, and Lebrons in the league?

Stanely Johnson, don't think much of him, don't see him in the league for more than 5-6 seasons.

Kaminsky, dude is the prototypical awesome college player that just doesn't translate to the NBA. He's not going to be dropping bombs from 3 in the NBA, his slow motion drives will be interrupted every time he tries to do them and his weak poo poo he puts up underneath the rim will be destroyed by NBA defenses. I think he gets an opportunity to play, but he's going to be regulated to the bench for the rest of his career by year 2.

Trey Lyles, I think Lyles should be a top 5 pick, I think he is a game changer and whatever team gets him after pick 8 will be lucky.

Myles Turner, like Lyles I think he should be a top 5 pick as well. Think he is one of those guys who was hyped out of HS, wasn't great in college, but hits a home run in the NBA. I like his future a lot, and with his size and athleticism he will be a steal after pick 10.

Cameron Payne, JUST SAY NO! I wouldn't draft him in the first round.

Willy Cauley Stein, A lot of negative action on him as we get closer to the draft. A pure big man with excellent defensive skills. Probably won't be a superstar but his defense will end up earning this guy over 50 million bucks over his career.

Sam Dekker, the league has changed so much in the past 5 years, I think Dekker would have been a great player in the 2000s but now not so much. Outside of a specialty shooter, I honestly don't see much he really does well that would translate to an NBA regular.

Tyus Jones, Tyler Ennis 2.0. Think these guys can carve out 5-8 year careers in the NBA, won't play much or do much but at least their careers aren't 1-2 years long.

Montrezl Harrell, how on earth is this guy projected mid-late first round while Christmas is late first to early second round. I'm not buying this guy into being an NBA player.

Hope you guys enjoyed and it will be fun to read this 5 years from now. lol

Hoping WCS goes in the top 7 so someone of importance drops to Detroit at 8, not a Stanley Johnson fan and a lot of mocks have him going to the Pistons

As a Detroit fan and Stanley being my favorite player in the draft, I'm sold. I know he's not the best player, just my personal favorite all year long..

Porzingas is the best pick you can make there imho. Mudiay can't shoot. Winslow is talented but a hard guy to place otherwise who else do you get? Beyond trading that is

I don't exactly know why but I love Russell. I think he's going to be a really good player. Maybe it's just the combo of a 2 guard who can shoot like that but also has great passing ability.

I think Russel stinks as an NBA prospect [and my wife is an OSU fan, so I've watched him play a lot]. I like the kid from Oregon a lot more.

I think Russel stinks as an NBA prospect [and my wife is an OSU fan, so I've watched him play a lot]. I like the kid from Oregon a lot more.

Not a fan of his either, just not a big fan.

Looking up and down the draft i find it hard to give anybody an A. The best fit may be Winslow in miami but aside from that you could argue this was a very mediocre draft for many teams. No one is getting light years better anytime soon from this draft including minny LA or Philly. Pending any picks for stars deals in the near future id say you still have golden state and cleveland looking good to face off again. Cavs and warriors added some nice pieces to complement their already strong rosters.

Really?
I'm not going to pretend I'm an NBA scout or anything (and they're wrong all the time too). Just really like his combination of size/shooting/passing. He probably doesn't have the athleticism you'd like in a 2 guard, but I would have taken him after Towns.

LOLOLOL they won't let you say s c o u t?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom