NBA Draft Tonight | Page 29 | Syracusefan.com

NBA Draft Tonight

Burrell marshall villanueva voskuhl and knight floated a large part of that time. Price and thabeet are not on their way. Price is a journeyman and thabeet is tall but hasnt done anything. Napier didnt do anything his first year. Drummond and walker are legit.

Uconn in the 90s are similar to the rush of talent for SU in the 80s... Before uconn was anything.

Thabeet is a huge bust, but he won't tell you that. What has that Jeremy Lamb kid done?

It's one way to look at it. We are talking about success in the NBA, right? I don't view our program as the sisters of the poor. We're a big time program - easily one of the top 10-15 in the country with maybe the most consistent track record of winning of any of them.

Here are some Kansas 1st round draft picks.

Darrell Arthur, Brandon Rush, JR Giddens, cole Aldrich, Xavier Henry, Julian Wright, Wayne Simeon, Drew Gooden

Where are those Kansas all-stars? Paul Peirce?

Let's take a peek at UConn. ISince the 1990s UConn has had the following guys play 8 years or more- Ray Allen, Villaneuva, Okafor, Burrell, Butler, Gay, Gordon, Hamilton, Ollie, Knight, Voskuhl and Donyell Marshall. Meanwhile guys like Thabeet, aj price, napier, Walker, Drummond are well on their way.
I have stayed out of this, but Thabeet and AJ Price are not on their way to 8 year careers. They are barely on rosters now.
Napier had a rocky rookie year just like Ennis.

Walker and Drummond are going to likely have long careers. UConn guys have made money, but outside of Hamilton and Allen they haven't had stars.
Okafor, Villaneuva, Gay, Gordon have gotten paid but they are all overpaid and haven't done that much. Give them credit for getting those contracts, but c'mon man.

I have stayed out of this, but Thabeet and AJ Price are not on their way to 8 year careers. They are barely on rosters now.

Walker and Drummond are going to likely have long careers. UConn guys have made money, but outside of Hamilton and Allen they haven't had stars.
Okafor, Villaneuva, Gay, Gordon have gotten paid but they are all overpaid and haven't done that much. Give them credit for getting those contracts, but c'mon man.

And Okafor was the #2 pick IIRC. Like Thabeet.

Burrell marshall villanueva voskuhl and knight floated a large part of that time. Price and thabeet are not on their way. Price is a journeyman and thabeet is tall but hasnt done anything. Napier didnt do anything his first year. Drummond and walker are legit.

Uconn in the 90s are similar to the rush of talent for SU in the 80s... Before uconn was anything.

Ah I hate UConn with the best of them but I think you're selling them short. First, those five guys you mentioned did float a bit although marshall and villaneuva had decent careers but point is they all had 8 or more years in the NBA, like Thomas and Hart of SU. Aj price has already completed 6 years in the NBA but even if you take those two (Thabeet as well) out of the mix the overall comparison is extremely lopsided. SU basically had four guys from the 80s do anything in the pros- 3 from the '87 team plus Owens and then a big drought up until recently.

My bad on Thabeet. price has finished 6 years. What about the other 15 guys I mentioned?

Let me help you out.

1. It happens 2-3 times every single draft. That's pretty commonplace.

2. The zone has nothing to do with anything. Kids play man to man their entire lives. They don't forget how to play man defense because they play zone in college for a few years. Every school, including Duke, and Kansas has flameouts. Should we give pause when Kansas or Duke has a kid drafted? I didn't see people predicting long term careers for Rautins, Kris Joseph or James Southerland or CJ fair? Did you? Who flamed out?

3. Did RF post that? If he did, that's one person's opinion that it could happen. What's wrong with that?

1- You're twisting yourself into a pretzel with that definition.
2- The zone wasn't even my point there but rather the flame-outs of many SU players.
3- Nothing wrong with voicing an opinion. I voiced an opposite opinion and you've had your wears in a bunch ever since.

The rich get even richer, Aldridge to the Spurs.
The more I think about it, this offseason was the time to establish a nucleus. With the cap going up so much the next few years, and everybody having cap room and some teams likely needing to hit the salary floor, the most attractive destinations are going to be those that have a somewhat established roster that can make their team contend even better by supplementing it with quality free agents. Players won't need to choose between making the most money they can and having the best chance to win. Franchises that built their roster properly will be able to offer both.

Low key nice move for Knicks and desperation induced good move for the Lakers.
Yeah, O'Quinn could be a sneaky good addition.

Knicks could use some backcourt help still. They have much money left?

Thabeet is a huge bust, but he won't tell you that. What has that Jeremy Lamb kid done?

That's kinda like ridiculing the SEC in football cuz Trent Richardson and Tim Tebow didn't pan out. You have that many guys get drafted you're gonna have a bust or two.

Low key nice move for Knicks and desperation induced good move for the Lakers.
O'Quinn could be a real good find per ESPN scouting report:

There's a lot to like about O'Quinn. Orlando's 2013 second-round pick out of Norfolk State has become one of the NBA's top backup centers. Armed with a nice pick-and-pop jumper, the second-year player averages 13 points, 11 rebounds, 2.4 assists and 2.7 blocks every 36 minutes. The only other guy to match those numbers on a per-36-minute basis? Some guy named Tim Duncan.

There's a lot to like about O'Quinn. Orlando's 2013 second-round pick out of Norfolk State has become one of the NBA's top backup centers. Armed with a nice pick-and-pop jumper, the second-year player averages 13 points, 11 rebounds, 2.4 assists and 2.7 blocks every 36 minutes. The only other guy to match those numbers on a per-36-minute basis? Some guy named Tim Duncan.
He was a guy I was thinking the Jazz should have pursued to compliment their young core.

But I listed UCONN as one of the schools putting more kids in the NBA.

LOUISVILLE, INDIANA & MICHIGAN STATE please.

I scanned the list of MSU players in the NBA. Just as good as SU if not better covering the last few decades. They had one pretty good PG as I recall. Izzo doesn't recruit tons of McD's he just coaches the hell out of what he has.

Louisville had a lot of pros back in the 1980s but not much lately. Another program where the coach maxes out the talent from his players.

IU? Who cares? they haven't been relevant for a couple of decades.

Ah I hate UConn with the best of them but I think you're selling them short. First, those five guys you mentioned did float a bit although marshall and villaneuva had decent careers but point is they all had 8 or more years in the NBA, like Thomas and Hart of SU. Aj price has already completed 6 years in the NBA but even if you take those two (Thabeet as well) out of the mix the overall comparison is extremely lopsided. SU basically had four guys from the 80s do anything in the pros- 3 from the '87 team plus Owens and then a big drought up until recently.

as you are cutting cuse short backing out our 87 crew.

as you are cutting cuse short backing out our 87 crew.

I did that because I stated that SU had an NBA drought starting in the early 1990s. UConn wasn't very relevant back then. You have to admit that since UConn became relevant there isn't much of a comparison.

Syracuse NBA money right is heavily tilted to Carmelo with that said it is still probably top 10.

Kentucky is number 1, I would bet UConn(all overpaid guys except Drummond and Walker), Duke(tons of guys), North Carolina(tons of guys), UCLA(Love, Westbrook), would be round out the top 5.

Arizona(Iggy), Florida(Noah, Horford, Lee), Kansas(Pierce), Texas(Durant, Aldridge), Georgia Tech(Bosh, Favors, Jack), Georgetown(Monroe), Syracuse(Melo), Wake Forest(Duncan, CP3, Aminu)

I did that because I stated that SU had an NBA drought starting in the early 1990s. UConn wasn't very relevant back then. You have to admit that since UConn became relevant there isn't much of a comparison.

Maybe.. Alsacs is on point in that its mainly 4 guys allen hamilton drummond walker. Maybe add gay in there too. Okafor and the rest outnumber SU but when you factor the recent surge of SU players with stories to be told its far from a big difference 93-02 i will give them. Since then we have the upper hand going forward and that doesnt look to be changing. Again you cant pick and choose to make a point. Its too fluid which is why this whole thing is pointless. Basically you have less faith in rakeem than others. You want to validate with stats im going to say stats are flawed and everything else points to him having a very good chance at a solid career. So what if its 9 yrs and not 10..

Smart move. He is a tad bigger and younger brandon bass imo. Whats interesting now is that the knicks have maxed their cap space now. So question becomes who do they use their 2.8m exception on and do they move calderon or just go with vet mins?

Maybe.. Alsacs is on point in that its mainly 4 guys allen hamilton drummond walker. Maybe add gay in there too. Okafor and the rest outnumber SU but when you factor the recent surge of SU players with stories to be told its far from a big difference 93-02 i will give them. Since then we have the upper hand going forward and that doesnt look to be changing. Again you cant pick and choose to make a point. Its too fluid which is why this whole thing is pointless. Basically you have less faith in rakeem than others. You want to validate with stats im going to say stats are flawed and everything else points to him having a very good chance at a solid career. So what if its 9 yrs and not 10..

It's not about faith per se. Others have a higher opinion of Rak here than me. That's ok that's what makes sports fun.

Let's face it - UConn has had a lot more players drafted and playing lengthy careers in the NBA than SU since the early 1990s. That is an absolute fact and no amount of torturing the #s can change that. More recently (last 5 years) SU has pulled close to even but the jury is still out on guys like Ennis, Fair and Rak/CMc. I would expect SU to pull ahead as UConn will likely suffer from their league circumstances but I don't necessarily see many NBA prospects on the SU roster right now.

It's not about faith per se. Others have a higher opinion of Rak here than me. That's ok that's what makes sports fun.

Let's face it - UConn has had a lot more players drafted and playing lengthy careers in the NBA than SU since the early 1990s. That is an absolute fact and no amount of torturing the #s can change that. More recently (last 5 years) SU has pulled close to even but the jury is still out on guys like Ennis, Fair and Rak/CMc. I would expect SU to pull ahead as UConn will likely suffer from their league circumstances but I don't necessarily see many NBA prospects on the SU roster right now.
Ben Gordon and Emeka Okafor went 2-3 in the 2004 draft. They got hella overpaid for being nothing more than decent role players.
Charlie Viluaueva, Rudy Gay have gotten paid as well and they are not great players. Gay has been traded by Toronto and Memphis because they both regretted his overpaid salary being stuck on their books. The Bucks paid Vilauenva and regretted it. Give UConn credit Drummond is going to get and has earned a max deal next year, and Walker is worthy is a of decent salary. However, because NBA GMs overpaid a bunch of their guys doesn't mean they are great.

UConn has had washouts like everyone else Hilton Armstrong, Josh Boone, Marcus Williams.
Syracuse needs Ennis and MCW to get overpaid which if MCW stays on his trajectory somebody will give 10 million per year if his shooting gets a little better. If his shot improves greatly he will be a max guy.
Wes Johnson hasn't justified his high spot but he has become a veteran now and will probably be in the league a few more years as a bench guy.

Ben Gordon and Emeka Okafor went 2-3 in the 2004 draft. They got hella overpaid for being nothing more than decent role players.
Charlie Viluaueva, Rudy Gay have gotten paid as well and they are not great players. Gay has been traded by Toronto and Memphis because they both regretted his overpaid salary being stuck on their books. The Bucks paid Vilauenva and regretted it. Give UConn credit Drummond is going to get and has earned a max deal next year, and Walker is worthy is a of decent salary. However, because NBA GMs overpaid a bunch of their guys doesn't mean they are great.

UConn has had washouts like everyone else Hilton Armstrong, Josh Boone, Marcus Williams.
Syracuse needs Ennis and MCW to get overpaid which if MCW stays on his trajectory somebody will give 10 million per year if his shooting gets a little better. If his shot improves greatly he will be a max guy.
Wes Johnson hasn't justified his high spot but he has become a veteran now and will probably be in the league a few more years as a bench guy.

Look I hate UConn with the best of em' but the #s are not very close between the two schools. UConn has had a lot more players drafted and a lot more players with lengthy careers. That has been the case for nearly 25 years now. Btw Gay averaged 21 ppg this year. Sure there are busts. When you have that many guys drafted that will happen. Dion, Flynn, Fab didn't exactly justify their draft status either.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom