NBA Offseason: Draft + FA + Trades | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

NBA Offseason: Draft + FA + Trades

OttoinGrotto said:
Ok, back when Oden and Conley entered the NBA, if someone told you one of those players would sign he biggest contract in NBA history, would anybody have believed it would have been Conley?

I agree. If you get another team's top prospect for Beltran, you are doing more long term damage to that team. Or try to get multiple prospects, it seems like a no brainer.

Evan Turner 4 years 70 million from Portland.
Nic Batum 5 years 112 million from Charlotte
Matthew Dellavedova 4 years 38 million from Milwuakee

The NBA is stupid.
It would be interesting to see a NBA with NO salary cap.
It would also be interesting to see a NBA with minimum required salaries.

neither 1 of you would give me 'conceivably' on July 1??

conceivable (conceivably)

[kuh n-see-vuh-buh l]

verb (used with object)
to form (a notion, opinion, purpose, etc.):
He conceived the project while he was on vacation.
to form a notion or idea of; imagine.
to hold as an opinion; think; believe:
I can't conceive that it would be of any use.

tough crowd...

Being conceivable is the easiest condition to meet. It excludes only states of affairs that we cannot think or imagine. We cannot imagine a stone that is green all over and also red all over, a stone that occupies the same space as a clump of metal, a bachelor who is married, a living horse that's not an animal, and so on.

While there is a narrow sense of "possible" that coincides with "conceivable," usually being possible is a more demanding condition. To be possible, a state of affairs must not merely be conceivable, but must be consistent with what we know about this world (e.g., the laws of nature). A puddle of water turning into a human being, an animal living forever, a daytrip to another galaxy -- these are conceivable, but not possible.

Being probable is more demanding still, requiring not merely that states of affairs are possible but that they are more likely than their contrasting states of affairs (in which the relevant properties or relations do not obtain). A patient dying from an appendectomy, an adult being ignorant of elementary arithmetic -- these states of affairs are possible but improbable: less likely than their opposites (assuming we look at people now alive in the US or Europe).

Bazemore - Hawks
Deng - Lakers
Johnson - Jazz
Green - Magic
Hill - Pelicans
Moore - Pelicans
Dudley - Suns
Arthur - Nuggets
Bayless - Bucks
Fournier - Magic
Hamilton - T-Wolves
Teletovic - Suns
Smith - Sixers

The Horford thing is from a buddy with the C's.He said the C's were the only team Horford met with that offered him the max.

OKC and Washington couldn't offer the Max and Atlanta offered less than the Max. Boston offered 4 yrs 113 million. I think Horford is going to pick Boston but the only other team I could see him signing with would be Atlanta if they upped their offer.

Also, Deng and Mozgov costing 34 million a year is just sad. What are the Lakers doing giving these players 4 years. when 2 years down the road the cap is leveling off. Lakers future depends on its young players Russell/Ingram as they won't have a fast rebuild.

Harrison Barnes eventual max contract wont be one of the worst 5 signed this offseason. It may not even crack the top 10 of worst contracts signed this offseason.

People need to stop freaking out over the contracts.

1) the media deal is tripling

2) has anyone given a hoot about how much more the owners will be making / owning an asset that is skyrocketing in value?

The money HAS to be spent. There is a salary floor and the players are owed 51% of basketball revenue.

And who cares what the contracts are compared to football. Football has the highest risk for injury.

People need to stop freaking out over the contracts.

1) the media deal is tripling

2) has anyone given a hoot about how much more the owners will be making / owning an asset that is skyrocketing in value?

The money HAS to be spent. There is a salary floor and the players are owed 51% of basketball revenue.

And who cares what the contracts are compared to football. Football has the highest risk for injury.
Again I would rather give my players on the roster an extra 1 million dollars per player than sign a mediocre player for 12 million over 4 years.

Soloman getting 48 million for 4 years when 2 years from now their will be great FAs and your cap is tied to a bum is stupid. I don't mind the 5 year contracts for keeping your own guys that is business now. However, these crap players getting mid 10 million multiple year contracts is just pure stupid. Dion Waiters should be getting 4 years 72 million any minute now. Wes Johnson should be signing 2 years 18 million any second. I get money has to be spent but because the cap isn't rolling in the new money only the next 2 years are we going to see pure insanity. Then it will roll back and teams will need cap space again.

The NFLPA has to be the most inept union in the history of unions. The fact that the job that members perform causes injuries means they can be summarily discarded.

I really like what the Jazz are doing this off season. Hill to solidify the point and Johnson to give depth on the wing really improves them, to say nothing of Exum and Burks returning from injuries.

If they've got one more move in them to add a little frontcourt depth (maybe Miami dumps McRoberts to free up more salary space?) and their young guys improve a little bit, the Jazz look to me like a pretty dangerous team in the West with an outside shot of contending for home court in the first round.

I really like what the Jazz are doing this off season. Hill to solidify the point and Johnson to give depth on the wing really improves them, to say nothing of Exum and Burks returning from injuries.

If they've got one more move in them to add a little frontcourt depth (maybe Miami dumps McRoberts to free up more salary space?) and their young guys improve a little bit, the Jazz look to me like a pretty dangerous team in the West with an outside shot of contending for home court in the first round.

image.jpg

With Houston and Dallas taking steps back this offseason I could see Utah making the playofs\fs. However top 5 seed seems tough to envision.
Golden State, San Antonio, OKC w/Durant, Los Angeles Clippers, Memphis all have better rosters.

I could see Utah battling Portland and Minnesota for 6th-8th but don't see them anywhere near the top West teams.

With Houston and Dallas taking steps back this offseason I could see Utah making the playofs\fs. However top 5 seed seems tough to envision.
Golden State, San Antonio, OKC w/Durant, Los Angeles Clippers, Memphis all have better rosters.

I could see Utah battling Portland and Minnesota for 6th-8th but don't see them anywhere near the top West teams.
Sure. Go ahead and underestimate them.

Sure. Go ahead and underestimate them.
I will take your request and do it. I doubt the Jazz finish top 4 in the Weat.
Would you like to make a wager on it as I feel good making that bet.

I would agree. Barring one or more of the young Jazz players making a leap, I think they are a 7/8 seed at best. Which is great in the west.

I will take your request and do it. I doubt the Jazz finish top 4 in the Weat.
Would you like to make a wager on it as I feel good making that bet.
Winner gets the right to select the loser's avatar for 3 months?

I would agree. Barring one or more of the young Jazz players making a leap, I think they are a 7/8 seed at best. Which is great in the west.
A few things to keep in mind (I could have put this in a more logical order, but #yolo):

1. Last season they had the second youngest team in the NBA, and nearly made the playoffs in the West.
2. They had an insane amount of injuries last season to their core players.
3. They had arguably the worst point guard play in the NBA last season (battling with Philly for that crown), and should return Exum from injury and now have Hill. Check that box.
4. Every core player returns (Hayward, Favors, Gobert, Exum, Hood, Burks, Lyles) in addition to now having Hill and Johnson, meaning that the fringe talents they had getting minutes last season are parked way down the bench this upcoming season.
5. They gave up the 2nd fewest points per game in the NBA despite their youth and injuries and had a positive point differential.
6. They've got sh'loads of draft picks that they can use to wheel and deal if they choose.

A few things to keep in mind (I could have put this in a more logical order, but #yolo):

1. Last season they had the second youngest team in the NBA, and nearly made the playoffs in the West.
2. They had an insane amount of injuries last season to their core players.
3. They had arguably the worst point guard play in the NBA last season (battling with Philly for that crown), and should return Exum from injury and now have Hill. Check that box.
4. Every core player returns (Hayward, Favors, Gobert, Exum, Hood, Burks, Lyles) in addition to now having Hill and Johnson, meaning that the fringe talents they had getting minutes last season are parked way down the bench this upcoming season.
5. They gave up the 2nd fewest points per game in the NBA despite their youth and injuries and had a positive point differential.
6. They've got sh'loads of draft picks that they can use to wheel and deal if they choose.

To be fair, assuming kd goes back to okc, I think outside of okc, cle, sas, and gsw, there is a lot of open field. LAC would be next after that group.

I like Portland to be on the next tier and can see Utah potentially getting there.

To be fair, assuming kd goes back to okc, I think outside of okc, cle, sas, and gsw, there is a lot of open field. LAC would be next after that group.

I like Portland to be on the next tier and can see Utah potentially getting there.
I think people are sleeping on Minnesota as well. With Thibs and those young studs. They need a couple of FA signings and they will be a scary young team.

CmYlMPWWAAAhMF2.jpg

Tom Brady is part of the Celtics recruitment for Kevin Durant