NBA Scout: "I'm hearing Malachi will be a top 10 pick." | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

NBA Scout: "I'm hearing Malachi will be a top 10 pick."

Chad Ford update, any thought he made a poor decision is pretty much dumb...

"Malachi Richardson canceled his workout with us."
This was relayed to me by a team in the mid-first round. It was confirmed by another team in the early 20s. What's going on? It looks as if his agent is confident that Richardson is going somewhere in the late lottery or slightly later. The Jazz (No. 12), Suns (No. 13), Nuggets (No. 15 and No. 19) and Hawks (No. 21) have gotten workouts. It sounds as if the Bucks (No. 10) will get one as well.

Agents do this all the time. They get what are called "soft promises" from teams that basically say, "If the draft plays out the way we think it will and if we keep the pick, we'll take your guy." If agents get multiple soft promises, they often choose to limit a player's workouts.

It's not clear exactly why the workouts were canceled, but the evidence suggests that Richardson's range is No. 10 to No. 21.

My money was on the Bulls at 14, but who knows now. Plenty of teams interested, wouldn't be surprised to see someone trade up for him. Think he goes lottery. Regardless, good for him. Top 20 seems almost guaranteed.

My money was on the Bulls at 14, but who knows now. Plenty of teams interested, wouldn't be surprised to see someone trade up for him. Think he goes lottery. Regardless, good for him. Top 20 seems almost guaranteed.
Why the Bulls. Isn't Butler under contract?

Chad Ford update this morning:

Malachi Richardson, SG, Fr., Syracuse
Richardson was late to the conversation as a potential one-and-done, but since he has committed to the draft, more and more teams have come to see him as top-20 pick. His combination of size -- 6-foot-6 with a huge, 7-foot wingspan -- NBA body and quickness makes him an attractive wing.

What scouts love most about Richardson is his ability to get his own shot off the bounce. He's one of the few guards in this draft who can really create offense for himself getting to the rim.
It's his jump shot that raises questions. He shot a solid 35 percent from 3 as a freshman but just 22 percent on 2-point jumpers. His workout on Tuesday in Vegas was designed to try to quiet the skeptics. He shot extremely well, going 13-for-15 from the NBA 3 in one drill and 20-for-25 in the second. He also shot well in 2-on-2 and 3-on-3 action.

Teams have concerns about his defense, but it's almost totally based on the NBA's discomfort with Syracuse's zone defense schemes, as they just don't translate to the NBA. Richardson will face a learning curve there.

For the most part, however, teams don't seem to be turned off. From my canvassing of the gym, most had him in the No. 12-22 range. The Jazz, Bulls, Celtics, Nuggets, Pacers, Hawks and Hornets are showing significant interest. Richardson has already worked out with the Jazz and Hawks and has the Suns on Wednesday and Denver later in the week. I think his floor will be Philly at No. 24.

It's funny but I disagree with just about every thing said here.

The scouts have concern about MR's jump shot. I actually think this is his strongest attribute. His percentages weren't that great but probably more due to shot selection. He has excellent form and will be a solid 3 pt shooter as he adjusts to the NBA distance.

The scouts supposedly like his ability to get to the basket. I think he's decent in this regard but nothing extraordinary. Doing it against NBA defenders will represent a pretty serious challenge.

They're concerned about defense but only because of SU's scheme. Wrong. They're right to be concerned about his defense - but not because of SU's zone - because he's a poor defender and will never be anything more than a mediocre defender in the NBA. I don't care if he has an eight foot wingspan.

Why the Bulls. Isn't Butler under contract?

Like others have said, Butler can play SF. Also, he isn't happy at the moment and there has been a lot of talk about trading him. I think it's a good fit, the Bulls could use more offense and another shooter.

The scouts have concern about MR's jump shot. I actually think this is his strongest attribute. His percentages weren't that great but probably more due to shot selection. He has excellent form and will be a solid 3 pt shooter as he adjusts to the NBA distance.

The scouts supposedly like his ability to get to the basket. I think he's decent in this regard but nothing extraordinary. Doing it against NBA defenders will represent a pretty serious challenge.

They're concerned about defense but only because of SU's scheme. Wrong. They're right to be concerned about his defense - but not because of SU's zone - because he's a poor defender and will never be anything more than a mediocre defender in the NBA. I don't care if he has an eight foot wingspan.

That's why you do whatever it is you do rather than evaluate future NBA players as a career. I disagree with ev erything you wrote except the part about his jumpshot, but then I own a machine shop, not a pro ball career.

Far easier to get to the rim in the NBA, primarily due to no hand checking, no zone and the bigger arc.

Like others have said, Butler can play SF. Also, he isn't happy at the moment and there has been a lot of talk about trading him. I think it's a good fit, the Bulls could use more offense and another shooter.
The Bills should jettison Rose and keep Butler happy.

That's why you do whatever it is you do rather than evaluate future NBA players as a career. I disagree with ev erything you wrote except the part about his jumpshot, but then I own a machine shop, not a pro ball career.

Pro scouts never make mistakes? lol they miss all the time. It's a crapshoot.

Btw how can I go about owning a pro ball career?

Far easier to get to the rim in the NBA, primarily due to no hand checking, no zone and the bigger arc.

It's way more physical in the NBA than it is in college and the people you're trying to drive on are 100x better than the dudes you see in college.

It's way more physical in the NBA than it is in college and the people you're trying to drive on are 100x better than the dudes you see in college.
I do like Richardson's driving game, but I don't watch enough (any?) NBA to be able to predict how well it will translate to the pros.

He does seem to be better at drawing fouls than finishing, though; and his so-so FT pct. reduces his effectiveness.

Last edited:
Not he physicality. The athletes are better, but you belong athletically, so it's not that big a leap.
MCW didn't play at a rookie of the year level at SU, but was able to get to the hoop enough in the NBA to win ROY.

Personally I think MCW exhibited a better ability than MR to get to the rim while he was at SU.

Not he physicality. The athletes are better, but you belong athletically, so it's not that big a leap.
MCW didn't play at a rookie of the year level at SU, but was able to get to the hoop enough in the NBA to win ROY.
Lakers coach Byron Scott: College basketball is more physical than the NBA

Btw maybe we know why Byron is no longer coaching in the NBA. He's crazy. Every time you drive to the hoop in the NBA there is contact. In college you breathe on somebody they call a foul.

It's easier to get to the rim in the NBA because of better spacing, properly set picks and no handcheck, but it's harder to finish once you get there because of way better rim protection.

It's easier to get to the rim in the NBA because of better spacing, properly set picks and no handcheck, but it's harder to finish once you get there because of way better rim protection.

So its easier to get by a Westbrook or Thompson than some random dude from Wake Forest?

So its easier to get by a Westbrook or Thompson than some random dude from Wake Forest?

Pretty much. That random dude at WF can clutch and grab you all game and get away with it, while Westbrook and Thompson certainly can't. For star players like them getting too physical on defense and picking up cheap fouls are the least things they wanna do anyway. Plus NBA bigs are way better at setting picks and perimeter players get mismatch all the time.

Pretty much. That random dude at WF can clutch and grab you all game and get away with it, while Westbrook and Thompson certainly can't. For star players like them getting too physical on defense and picking up cheap fouls are the least things they wanna do anyway. Plus NBA bigs are way better at setting picks and perimeter players get mismatch all the time.

Guess you never watched a game reffed by Higgins or Burr. You sneezed in the layup line and they called a foul on you. I guess I'm watching a different game. I see much more contact in the NBA than in college. Not even close. You clutch and grab somebody in college then you'll be fouled out pretty quickly.

Guess you never watched a game reffed by Higgins or Burr. You sneezed in the layup line and they called a foul on you. I guess I'm watching a different game. I see much more contact in the NBA than in college. Not even close. You clutch and grab somebody in college then you'll be fouled out pretty quickly.

I remembered Higgins and Burr (and a lot others) letting the opposing teams get with murders, namely Pitt, L'ville, Nova etc., which is precisely why I think college game's clutch and grab makes the game more physical.