NBA Thread 2020-21 Season | Page 79 | Syracusefan.com

NBA Thread 2020-21 Season

This wasn’t aging well .. but now it’s matured into some fine wine
Unfolded how I expected it to. I felt so confident that I didn't watch it. Instead I watched Nets vs Hawks. Those are two teams that know how to score.

So tonight is for all the non NBA fans who poo poo the league. Last night Bucks antlered the Heat by 47. Slaughtered them. Tonight. Same two teams. Same location. No travel. Miami getting 6.5 points. I fully expect them to win. Probably outright. Definitely with the points. Stone cold lock of 2020. I've waited all year to find such a gimme.
I owe you a steak dinner!!!

carmelo playing well so far tonight, helping the blazers maintain contact

carmelo playing well so far tonight, helping the blazers maintain contact
as soon as i posted that the clips went on a run & pushed the lead to 21 ... with melo on the floor

76 point half for the clips 2 games after they gave up 77

Asked and answered.

You mentioned Williams or Beverly. Williams and Beverly can be flipped in a basketball trade for a rotation player if the Clippers want to mix it up, but it would not be for a player of the quality of Dinwiddie IMO.

Lou Williams is 7 years older than Dinwiddie, and a free agent at the end of the year.
Patrick Beverly is 5 years older and while he has rotational value to almost all teams he is certainly not Dinwiddie.
Dinwiddie is the best player amongst the 3 and still in his prime years at 27.

Dinwiddie is by far the most attractive asset of the 3 in terms of flipping as part of a package for a "3rd" wheel. The "plus" to what would need to be offered from the Clippers beyond Beverly or Williams would likely have needed to be more than the assets they currently have. Second rounders are not big add-on's in a deal.

It's all moot anyway with Dinwiddie out this year. I suppose something becomes more plausible in the offseason when Kennard can be traded if the Clippers want to mix it up that way.

You mentioned Williams or Beverly. Williams and Beverly can be flipped in a basketball trade for a rotation player if the Clippers want to mix it up, but it would not be for a player of the quality of Dinwiddie IMO.

Lou Williams is 7 years older than Dinwiddie, and a free agent at the end of the year.
Patrick Beverly is 5 years older and while he has rotational value to almost all teams he is certainly not Dinwiddie.
Dinwiddie is the best player amongst the 3 and still in his prime years at 27.

Dinwiddie is by far the most attractive asset of the 3 in terms of flipping as part of a package for a "3rd" wheel. The "plus" to what would need to be offered from the Clippers beyond Beverly or Williams would likely have needed to be more than the assets they currently have. Second rounders are not big add-on's in a deal.

It's all moot anyway with Dinwiddie out this year. I suppose something becomes more plausible in the offseason when Kennard can be traded if the Clippers want to mix it up that way.
Your anti-Clippers bias is showing, as you’re undervaluing Williams and Beverley. While it is indeed moot at this point, I’ll bite.

Dinwiddie is also (most likely) a free agent after this season. He certainly would have been had he stayed healthy. Is he a solid player? Yes. But let’s be honest, he’s had one really good season in his career, and that was last year with KD and Irving out. Healthy or not, now he’s redundant with the Nets and he doesn’t want to come off the bench.

Williams, on the other hand, is one of the best bench players of all time. Don’t take my word for it, KD thinks he’s a HOFer. As was alluded to earlier in this thread when discussing Jordan’s role, KD’s opinion matters. So with Williams, the Nets would be bringing in the 6th Man of the Year two out of the last three seasons (finishing third the other year), who would give them the scoring punch they want, without the complaining about not starting. His age isn’t as big of a deal since he would be a rental. Kabengele would probably be included, and I wonder if the Clippers declined his option for precisely this type of deal...where a contender can give him a look and potentially clear up some cap room after the season.

Beverley’s salary is about the same as Dinwiddie’s and he’s actually a great fit in Brooklyn. He’s one of the best defenders in the league and will hit the open three. He pairs very well with Irving. And he’s tight with KD.

But whatever, the trade isn’t happening now. The two teams had discussions during the offseason, though.

Kyrie and KD are tight with Jordan.

incredibly dumb reason for them to do this. i guess it wont matter much in regular season, but if this carries into the playoffs?

incredibly dumb reason for them to do this. i guess it wont matter much in regular season, but if this carries into the playoffs?

It appears to be a token start. Allen had more minutes 24-15 and I expect that to continue.

OrangeDW will love this blast from the past video.

ha, remember it well! I remember watching it at my grandparents’ house with several uncles. Family would always just pop in at their house on Sundays. Good times.

At that point I’m thinking I never would’ve expected Utah to sweep us out of the playoffs that year and the next year, lol.

Last edited:
This years NBA is so predictably unpredictable. Five games into the season and only one undefeated team. However, that team is currently playing at home and losing by 38 points. This ain't the NBA I grew up with.

This years NBA is so predictably unpredictable. Five games into the season and only one undefeated team. However, that team is currently playing at home and losing by 38 points. This ain't the NBA I grew up with.

Is it partially the byproduct of the increasing prevalence of the three point shot in today's NBA? Seems likely that you'll have one team red hot from three and the other ice cold, which produces some pretty lopsided results.

Is it partially the byproduct of the increasing prevalence of the three point shot in today's NBA? Seems likely that you'll have one team red hot from three and the other ice cold, which produces some pretty lopsided results.

I think it's that plus a combo of how weird/short/long the offseason has been, depending on the team

So the NBA coach’s challenge rule went to new lows tonight ... it makes zero sense

Sac town at Rockets
Wall cleanly blocks a Halliburton shot attempt ... ref blows the play dead for a foul .. as he’s blowing it dead ... another king puts the blocked shot in the basket .. without any resistance as the play had stopped , whistle blown on the foul

Houston challenges the foul call .. and the ref rules a SUCCESSFUL challenge ..

Here’s where it goes sideways ... the ref says although wall didn’t foul Halliburton and therefore the play shouldn’t have been stopped .. Sacramento WOULD have scored after gaining possession on the blocked shot ... so the basket counts anyway ...

What ???

Wizzards fans enjoying their Westbrook experience ? Triple double every game .. big fat L every game ... I’ll take wall all day over westbrick

Wizzards fans enjoying their Westbrook experience ? Triple double every game .. big fat L every game ... I’ll take wall all day over westbrick

I would probably take Paul and the first rounders...
But this last Westbrook to Wash deal was the best "dig out of the hole of a bit" move probably possible. Needed to be done to move forward.

Last edited:
So the NBA coach’s challenge rule went to new lows tonight ... it makes zero sense

Sac town at Rockets
Wall cleanly blocks a Halliburton shot attempt ... ref blows the play dead for a foul .. as he’s blowing it dead ... another king puts the blocked shot in the basket .. without any resistance as the play had stopped , whistle blown on the foul

Houston challenges the foul call .. and the ref rules a SUCCESSFUL challenge ..

Here’s where it goes sideways ... the ref says although wall didn’t foul Halliburton and therefore the play shouldn’t have been stopped .. Sacramento WOULD have scored after gaining possession on the blocked shot ... so the basket counts anyway ...

What ???

Very odd ruling. Seem to remember something like that happening last year in a Raps game, but forget the specifics... think it was to the Raps benefit.

I think that the Refs should be able to judge who had the possession if the foul had not been called, and not simply call a jump ball. That being said they should be only able to give possession via a new inbounds play -- not predict what would have happened if the play had been continued.

The "Triple Crown" basketball stats have to be evaluated much more carefully in the new high scoring NBA when measuring player value. It's always been assumed the best in those stats are the best players in the NBA and while the correlation is still high, its nowhere near as high as prior years.

Heat have 31 points at halftime in Dallas.

Wondering if they stayed in Miami last night and had some fun, and flew into Dallas today?

Heat have 31 points at halftime in Dallas.

Wondering if they stayed in Miami last night and had some fun, and flew into Dallas today?

Maybe its the opposite this year. I would imagine the guidance for players this year is to avoid some of the night life. Some of these players are probably used to living it up, and not being able to do that might screw with their routine.

Trying to watch this Lakers - Spurs game but it is unbearable. I am only getting the Spurs feed and the background sound is literally mute and it clearly sounds like 2 guys talking in a room. Are all Spurs broadcasts like this?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom