NCAA National Championship: Mon April 8 | Page 13 | Syracusefan.com

NCAA National Championship: Mon April 8

We just went on probation for a second time under JB and wouldn't have made the tourney even if we weren't in 2015.

There's a search function on the site that can show you posters that wanted him to step down. Calhoun stepped down a year after he won the title. It wouldn't have been that odd.
But Calhoun had other reasons for stepping down than his results as coach. JB was healthy and overall getting incredible results up to 2015, even with the NCAA stuff. Hindsight is 20/20 but I would have laughed in the face of anybody who said they wanted to move on from JB in 2015. We were on such a tare in the years leading up to that point.

Watching UConn's offense I kept coming back to Red's comments about playing in 'concepts' as opposed to a more structured offense. Although it aides more in a transition-based offense, it can also contribute to lack of movement in the half-court and ISO ball when plays break down.

Not a knock, and much of SU's system relies on a natural PG, which we know has been sorely lacking. Just observationally speaking, was a bit glaring watching UConn's movement last night, even when plays 'broke down' everyone knew what to do, and often resulted in a basket.

One word: mature.

They really were incredible. We've got a long way to go in the scheme & personnel department.

Thought the screens that Uconn were very effective and helped give them a bunch of easy shots-Hope Red was taking notes.

Thought the screens that Uconn were very effective and helped give them a bunch of easy shots-Hope Red was taking notes.
The stuff they run with double screens is tremendous. Of course the fact that everyone on the team is a viable shooter helps.

The combination of these two factors makes it less painful seeing UConn win again. I think the stakes were fairly obvious when JB stayed too long, and those who managed to separate their emotions as fans knew. So the current situation is less frustrating to me than the situation of knowing we were headed for this.

Meanwhile, I don't think it's a coincidence that our drop off was followed by two titles for Nova and three for UConn. There's always going to be basketball talent in the Northeast, so one program's decline is a rival's opportunity. There's been a Northeast team in the title game in 17 of the last 35, so having one in five of the last 10 is about right.

There's so much luck involved in all this too. It's not that hard to imagine a world where we have four titles: Smart misses, Arinze doesn't get hurt, Fab doesn't get busted on that paper.

Maybe then we don't drop off because it helps recruiting, or maybe Boeheim retires earlier after winning another title, who knows?

Unfortunately it didn't play out that way and we've got a long climb to get back there, with UConn poised to dominate the region until we do.
My fandom started with the advent of the Big East. UConn was a bottom dweller for years, their coach was Dom Perno. The only players of note were Cornelius "Corny" Thompson, Earl (The Earl of Storrs) Kelley and Chuck Aleksinas, who I think transferred from Kentucky. They were always buried near the bottom of the Big East. Six national championships later, who would have believed UConn lapping us not once but six times. Where the hell did we go so wrong and them so right?

In the last 10 years, the Big East has won five and the ACC has won three. The other two were Kansas and Baylor.
Back in the day, the prevailing thought was football drives revenue and a
basketball only conferences could never survive financially. You had to
be in a major football conference or else your athletic program would
never be viable. Hence the smiles when SU finally found a home, even if
they were an afterthought.

Give the Big East credit for not only surviving, but being a dominant
basketball entity. However, the argument still remains out there. Can
the Big East continue to swim upstream financially with all the football
money out there? The NIL has somewhat evened the playing field, but
NIL is doomed to fail in it's present form and will be replaced with
something more viable in the near future. In the meantime, congrats
to the Big East and thanks for the memories.

We just went on probation for a second time under JB and wouldn't have made the tourney even if we weren't in 2015.

There's a search function on the site that can show you posters that wanted him to step down. Calhoun stepped down a year after he won the title. It wouldn't have been that odd.

Edit:

Here's a thread with many posts happy about the transition
Those CuseHulk takes are even more dumb now than when the diarrhea first originally left his brain. Worth the read alone.

A few stats I heard today.

Purdue only had 8 assists last night … and they we’re all by only one player.

In terms of petty details I heard. And at this point petty sometimes feels good. 3 of the 5 lowest rated NCAA final games of all time included UConn.

This probably needs its own thread. Landmark achievement that many thought would never be possible.

Speaks to the lack of brand power in men’s hoops. Zach edey is the only name that had any buzz. Transfers are just killing the marketability of the sport. Fans, outside of UConn and Purdue, were not going to care or identify with 1 year hired guns.

This probably needs its own thread. Landmark achievement that many thought would never be possible.

Speaks to the lack of brand power in men’s hoops. Zach edey is the only name that had any buzz. Transfers are just killing the marketability of the sport. Fans, outside of UConn and Purdue, were not going to care or identify with 1 year hired guns.
Some of that may be accurate but those two teams were not full of one-year hired guns.

eh let's see what next year's number is. I think this is a Clark phenomenon more than a blow back on hired guns.

Some of that may be accurate but those two teams were not full of one-year hired guns.
No, but they were full of non-stars. There weren't any 3 years guys that are expected to be sure fire NBA stars or guys that have dominated the sport for three or four years.

eh let's see what next year's number is. I think this is a Clark phenomenon more than a blow back on hired guns.
It's both. The women's game was at an all-time high because of Clark, and the popularity of the men has eroded for a number of reasons that include lack of familiarity due to hired guns and NBA draft early entries.

Regular season attendance and tv numbers are/will be better indicators.

No, but they were full of non-stars. There weren't any 3 years guys that are expected to be sure fire NBA stars or guys that have dominated the sport for three or four years.
It has been decades since there have been 3-year guys that are expected to be "sure fire NBA stars" playing NCAA basketball, never mind in the Final Four.

It has been decades since there have been 3-year guys that are expected to be "sure fire NBA stars" playing NCAA basketball, never mind in the Final Four.
I'm well aware. And throughout that time, the popularity of the men's game has eroded.

It's both. The women's game was at an all-time high because of Clark, and the popularity of the men has eroded for a number of reasons that include lack of familiarity due to hired guns and NBA draft early entries.
Final game was up from last year. Barely but still up

Final game was up from last year. Barely but still up
I'm guessing their was a little more interest with the top two seeds squaring off, seeing if Purdue could pull off a Virginia, and seeing if Edey was enough to hold off UConn. I know I didn't watch a minute of the women's game, but I liked the men's game. It was fun watching two legit big guys square off and watching UConn execute their offense was good basketball.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom