NCAA to announce 4 years of tournament sites at 1pm | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

NCAA to announce 4 years of tournament sites at 1pm

When will we see the first message where Gilardino posts on the path to Albany/MSG in 2020, Providence/Brooklyn in 2021 and and Buffalo/Philadelphia in 2022???

Haha, Gilardino is the man need to see him around here more often

Final Four should be in New Orleans every year.

Regionals should be in LA or Vegas, NYC, Chicago or Indianapolis, and Atlanta or Houston every year.

Let all the other cities rotate the early rounds.

Regionals should be in LA or Vegas, NYC, Chicago or Indianapolis, and Atlanta or Houston every year.

Add Phoenix as well. So much to do in March it's crazy.

When will we see the first message where Gilardino posts on the path to Albany/MSG in 2020, Providence/Brooklyn in 2021 and and Buffalo/Philadelphia in 2022???

Haha, Gilardino is the man need to see him around here more often
I ll never forgot him in Albany '03

Don't all of these cities routinely have thousands of empty seats in years when there's no huge regional draw? Staples Center is one place I know they've had trouble filling.

Give me a Cleveland or Kansas City any day, places where people actually care about college basketball. And say what you will about North Carolina (I have little positive to say about the place), but those cities are good hosts for the regionals.

Don't all of these cities routinely have thousands of empty seats in years when there's no huge regional draw? Staples Center is one place I know they've had trouble filling.

Give me a Cleveland or Kansas City any day, places where people actually care about college basketball. And say what you will about North Carolina (I have little positive to say about the place), but those cities are good hosts for the regionals.

Throw in Washington, Boston, Philly.

Does North Carolina often get regionals? They usually get a first weekend site, right?

Not sure if there's a difference in drawing; they obviously love their hoops down there, but it's also easier to guarantee a local team will be there on the first weekend.

Does North Carolina often get regionals? They usually get a first weekend site, right?

Not sure if there's a difference in drawing; they obviously love their hoops down there, but it's also easier to guarantee a local team will be there on the first weekend.
2008 Charlotte
1998 Greensboro

NC gets regional every 10 years or so.

Throw in Washington, Boston, Philly.

I wasn't that impressed with Washington in 2013, Indiana and SU were just about the only fans in the building. Didn't seem like as many locals as Boston the previous year, and only a few dozen Miami fans (that's a Miami problem, not a D.C. problem). But it's cheap and convenient to get there and Chinatown's a better location than most cities have, so it's a good fan experience. A good atmosphere is probably more dependent on the matchups than it would be in some other Northeastern cities because of all the transient types in town.

Good call, I didn't realize it'd been so long since Charlotte got a regional (2008). Guess the NCAA knows something I don't. Probably your idea about the subregional and local teams.

Anyway, I'd advocate for more regionals in college towns. Apparently 2002 is the last team a majority of regionals were held in college arenas (Syracuse, Madison, Lexington). We've probably seen the last of those days, but I think it adds something to the tournament.

I wasn't that impressed with Washington in 2013, Indiana and SU were just about the only fans in the building. Didn't seem like as many locals as Boston the previous year, and only a few dozen Miami fans (that's a Miami problem, not a D.C. problem). But it's cheap and convenient to get there and Chinatown's a better location than most cities have, so it's a good fan experience. A good atmosphere is probably more dependent on the matchups than it would be in some other Northeastern cities because of all the transient types in town.

Good call, I didn't realize it'd been so long since Charlotte got a regional (2008). Guess the NCAA knows something I don't. Probably your idea about the subregional and local teams.

Anyway, I'd advocate for more regionals in college towns. Apparently 2002 is the last team a majority of regionals were held in college arenas (Syracuse, Madison, Lexington). We've probably seen the last of those days, but I think it adds something to the tournament.

Any big school will likely have a strong alumni base in DC. Unlike say, Houston.

Those midwest cities are fun because everything is a reason to have a party.

Any big school will likely have a strong alumni base in DC. Unlike say, Houston.

Those midwest cities are fun because everything is a reason to have a party.

The Houstons and San Joses really leave something to be desired in that regard. Did anyone here have a favorable impression of Memphis in 2009? (I know Miami was awful for our subregional that year.)

It makes sense that the NCAA wants to spread the wealth, but just because a mid-sized city has a shiny NBA arena doesn't make for a good college hoops atmosphere. Gotta have both diverse alumni and some local basketball culture.

Without looking it up, it seems to me that at least in the East it's gone to more major cities recently. Boston. Philly, NY, DC. Obviously it's also been at the Dome, though that's also a big arena.

Ok now I looked it up, since the last time they were in Charlotte...

2009: Boston
2010: Syracuse
2011: Newark
2012: Boston
2013: Washington DC
2014: NY
2015: Syracuse
2016: Philly
2017: NY

I don't know if it's a conscious decision on their part or not, but there seems to be a focus on putting the east regional in major cities; exceptions being Syracuse (huge building, like I said), and Newark I guess; though I would argue that was just them getting into NY before MSG was available.

Next 5 East regionals
2018- Boston
2019- Washington DC
2020- MSG, NYC
2021- Barclay's NYC
2022- Philadelphia

Next 5 East regionals
2018- Boston
2019- Washington DC
2020- MSG, NYC
2021- Barclay's NYC
2022- Philadelphia

Unless there's a new building built or something, I think they can pretty much rotate those cities and it would be fine.

Without looking it up, it seems to me that at least in the East it's gone to more major cities recently. Boston. Philly, NY, DC. Obviously it's also been at the Dome, though that's also a big arena.

I don't know if it's a conscious decision on their part or not, but there seems to be a focus on putting the east regional in major cities; exceptions being Syracuse (huge building, like I said), and Newark I guess; though I would argue that was just them getting into NY before MSG was available.

Yep, Newark and the Meadowlands were the next best thing to New York when the Garden wasn't available. Now I think it and Barclays will squeeze someone else out of the regular rotation. Probably Syracuse, which is fair: the main justification for hosting at the Dome is capacity, but attendance was crappy in 2010 and 2015.

Yep, Newark and the Meadowlands were the next best thing to New York when the Garden wasn't available. Now I think it and Barclays will squeeze someone else out of the regular rotation. Probably Syracuse, which is fair: the main justification for hosting at the Dome is capacity, but attendance was crappy in 2010 and 2015.

And from a selfish standpoint, I'd prefer it not to be there anyway, since it locks us out of the east region every 4 years or whatever

Denver should be in the mix more often, we've got more beer than anyone.

2008 Charlotte
1998 Greensboro

NC gets regional every 10 years or so.
I was losing sleep about the terrible prospect of Duke and UNC not getting to play the 1st and 2nd round NCAAT in NC on a virtual home court. I'm just so relieved they will most years again. (Sarc for those who can't tell).

I am hoping for the Utica Memorial Auditorium. Historic building and I saw Alice Cooper there in 1987.
I saw Bon Jovi and Cinderellla there in 1987 (or was it 1986?) Just before Bon Jovi blew up.

I saw Bon Jovi and Cinderellla there in 1987 (or was it 1986?) Just before Bon Jovi blew up.
I remember that. I didn't go, but I know they sold out.

Surprised at no Syracuse on this list, as we have hosted the East Regional every 5 years starting in 2000, meaning we would normally be slated to host in 2020. Hopefully, as others have alluded to, it's because we have major plans for the Dome. Otherwise, it is doubly disappointing.

Travel costs and availability of flights is probably a factor.

2020 MarchMadness sites

First Four: Dayton

1st/2nd Rounds
Albany
Cleveland
St. Louis
Omaha
Greensboro - No Value, none.
Tampa
Sacramento
Spokane

Regionals
New York City
Indianapolis
Houston
Los Angeles

Final Four
Atlanta

I think they should always be in fun cities. There is a day off between games after all. I was being lazy with the South and went with markets. I have heard good things about Charlotte, Memphis, Austin so maybe those should be the venues. LA sucks but it is a major market so TV will likely want regionals there.

I have been to New Orleans, Houston, Atlanta and the experiences were night and day. Houston and Atlanta suck and should never hold a Final Four again. Neither should Minnesota, Detroit, or Phoenix.