ND new ESPNU Darling? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

ND new ESPNU Darling?

Arlotta has 2500 seats. The biggest crowd they have ever had there is 4522. Syracuse averages more than their biggest crowd ever most years.

Good idea to have such a small facility for a program with so few fans.

UND.COM :: The Official Site of Notre Dame Athletics
2500 is the permanent seats behind the benches. That means the hill/behind one goal can hold another 2k. Find me a team in a non hotbed, cold area that draws better?

Cuse benefits from playing indoors. Not too many ppl at their game vs SJU last year in the cold weather. That’s winter in Indiana

I think the TV audience for college lacrosse is different than the one for college football. People watch college lacrosse games because they love lacrosse. Syracuse is, with the possible exception of Hopkins, the biggest name in college lacrosse. Notre Dame is not in the top 5, probably not in the top 10.

I have nothing to go by but my own perceptions but I can't see where Notre Dame is going to get better national ratings than Syracuse. For football, yes. For basketball, maybe. For lacrosse? Not a chance.

ND in the last decade or so has expanded the reach of their Lax program as they have made a big presence on Youtube in the form of Lax tutorials and clinics (search ND lacrosse in youtube) and opened themselves up for more collaboration with lax organizations and the such. Syracuse has gone a bit in the other direction. While certainly not closed off by an stretch, SU/Desko likes to keep the mystique about the program and SU isn't really involved in that sort of stuff though we are doing that inside the season thing this year SU likes to keep a lower profile. I still believe SU is a much bigger name overall in Lacrosse then ND, ND has done a pretty good job in getting "their name out there" so to speak.

2500 is the permanent seats behind the benches. That means the hill/behind one goal can hold another 2k. Find me a team in a non hotbed, cold area that draws better?

Cuse benefits from playing indoors. Not too many ppl at their game vs SJU last year in the cold weather. That’s winter in Indiana
I don't think Notre Dame has ever even finished in top 10 in attendance for college lacrosse. The closest year I could find a top ten (actually 11) was 2014.

I think the 3 hotbeds of lacrosse are CNY, LI and Baltimore. I won't count Ohio State because I am pretty sure they counted the people that came to their spring football game to get that impressive number. But to answer your question, Army, Virginia, UNC, Denver, Marquette, Villanova and Princeton.

College lacrosse: Syracuse finishes season No. 1 -- in average attendance

DIVISION I COLLEGE LACROSSE AVERAGE ATTENDANCE, 2014
No. School
Average Dates Last year's rank (average)
1. Syracuse 4,140 8 2nd (3,859)
2. Ohio State 3,154 8 17th (1,439)
3. Army 2,919 6 5th (2,929)
4. Virginia 2,904 8 8th (2,514)
5. Johns Hopkins 2,763 8 11th (2,296)
6. Maryland 2,545 8 3rd (3,643)
7. Navy 2,468 7 1st (3,860)
8. North Carolina 2,310 7 7th (2,619)
9. Loyola 2,282 10 9th (2,471)
10. Denver 2,173 8 13th (1,976)
11. Cornell 2,072 7 4th (3,114)

Here is 2013:

Navy, Syracuse top national lacrosse home attendance average

No. School
Avg. Dates
1. Navy 3,860 6
2. Syracuse 3,859 9
3. Maryland 3,643 7
4. Cornell 3,114 7
5. Army 2,929 6
6. Marquette 2,679 2
7. North Carolina 2,619 11
8. Virginia 2,514 9
9. Loyola 2,471 5
10. Hofstra 2,318 8
11. Johns Hopkins 2,296 8
12. Villanova 2,210 10
13. Denver 1,976 8
14. Princeton 1,853 6
15. Notre Dame 1,773 7
16. Harvard 1,493 9
17. Ohio State 1,439 7
18. Duke 1,250 12
19. Yale 1,244 6
20. Georgetown 1,242 7

I think the TV audience for college lacrosse is different than the one for college football. People watch college lacrosse games because they love lacrosse. Syracuse is, with the possible exception of Hopkins, the biggest name in college lacrosse. Notre Dame is not in the top 5, probably not in the top 10.

I have nothing to go by but my own perceptions but I can't see where Notre Dame is going to get better national ratings than Syracuse. For football, yes. For basketball, maybe. For lacrosse? Not a chance.
Personally, I like to think U of Maryland is a pretty big name in college lacrosse.

I don't disagree with you,
But, looking at things demographically, ND vs Denver might inspire the young adults buying lacrosse equipment in the Western half of the country. ND and Denver have been consistently near the top for the last 5 or 6 years, with Denver winning a title 3 years back, which might be sufficient for such young adults.

Also if Syracuse and Hopkins are only playing like #9 or #11 teams, fan interest might not be exactly stoked.

It still amazes me how much lacrosse is available on tv or live streaming. Not too long ago the only way to see the Syracuse games (any game really...not sure if Hopkins was on, maybe someone else) was on tape delay on Sundays and on time warner sports new york and that was it. The final four was on tv but it was just the championship game. A few years later, they spread out and put the semi on and that was amazing. I remember when I was able to get the games on streaming through some pay service and listened to Kyle Fetterly. I think it was Orange Access? Can't remember the title. I think that I found out that the 22 year streak ended on internet radio. So as much as it saddens me that Notre Dame is getting the majority of coverage it is not like our games are not available. I feel so spoiled with the amount I can watch now.

That sounds true. I just remember when Syracuse Lax was the equivalent of Bama football or Kentucky basketball. I guess those days are over.

Yes those days are gone. . Remember when UCLA in sunny Cal. used to dominate basketball. Lax has evolved and expanded and the leveling of the field is a reality for all programs. Talent base has widened beyond old hotbeds and no one is going to corner the market especially those that do not have many inherent advantages such as weather, academics, school costs. Football has 85 scholarships vs 12.6 for lax, those Bama and Kentucky factories are manufacturing high paid pros in the NFL and NBA not the MLL. Cuse has its legacy, stability and facilities but many other colleges have their own advantages that draw and a strong case can be made for attending many others since the end game is different.

My beloved NYY with all their history and financial advantages have won one WS in the last seventeen years. As a fan, at least I go into every season knowing that they should be competitive just as with Cuse .

Recounting dominant days when the talent pool and competition was less is a nice stroll down memory lane but likely not to be repeated given present landscape . Hopefully Cuse catches a cycle when talent and some luck align. This 18 team is relatively young but I could actually foresee them making noise in the following year or two.

Imo, the fact that Cuse remains a top program in a ever expanding field speaks well for the state of the program rather than the converse

Yes those days are gone. . Remember when UCLA in sunny Cal. used to dominate basketball. Lax has evolved and expanded and the leveling of the field is a reality for all programs. Talent base has widened beyond old hotbeds and no one is going to corner the market especially those that do not have many inherent advantages such as weather, academics, school costs. Football has 85 scholarships vs 12.6 for lax, those Bama and Kentucky factories are manufacturing high paid pros in the NFL and NBA not the MLL. Cuse has its legacy, stability and facilities but many other colleges have their own advantages that draw and a strong case can be made for attending many others since the end game is different.

My beloved NYY with all their history and financial advantages have won one WS in the last seventeen years. As a fan, at least I go into every season knowing that they should be competitive just as with Cuse .

Recounting dominant days when the talent pool and competition was less is a nice stroll down memory lane but likely not to be repeated given present landscape . Hopefully Cuse catches a cycle when talent and some luck align. This 18 team is relatively young but I could actually foresee them making noise in the following year or two.

Imo, the fact that Cuse remains a top program in a ever expanding field speaks well for the state of the program rather than the converse
I don't believe that. North Dakota State in FCS, Wisconsin-White water D2, UCONN women all stay at the top. It's all about coaching. Your beloved Yankees kept a very average Girardi as their coach for way too long.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom