ND post game | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

ND post game

We never did get that 3 points back from the Starling FG with 11 minutes to go. So, it shouldn't have been quite that close. Also, the ND shooter traveled (we used to call it "up and down") in the last minute, and yet they retained possession.

For a certain part of that game, the core 5 sophomores played unselfishly, and really worked on defense. That's when we were up 29 toward the end of the first half.

Then we stopped working on D, and they got back into the game.

I was glad to see Justin Taylor to make a few baskets, and liked that Autry put that backdoor cut in for him. I saw more back cuts on the wing and the baseline, generally speaking, perhaps in response to Draymond Green's Twitter critique.

Starling with a great game. Mintz with a very good game. Maliq and Copeland both with good games. Bell shot well, and even scored a couple times inside the arc. He also got a couple rebounds and even a steal or two. Better floor game than usual. When Bell plays like that, it shows the kind of player he could be.

Nice win; closer than it should have been, but a good win nonetheless.
Starling was 6-17 and single handedly created NDs rally at the end of the half. Did not think he was good.

There was a Starling 3 pointer with 11 minutes left in the 2nd half that they didn't correct while ND added 2 scores. Even after the TV timeout, they returned to the wrong score. I'll have to watch to see if it was corrected.
If it's the one I am thinking of, despite the fact that some of the crowd cheered (thinking it was a swish), it was an airball that hit the netting on the way down.

We never did get that 3 points back from the Starling FG with 11 minutes to go. So, it shouldn't have been quite that close. Also, the ND shooter traveled (we used to call it "up and down") in the last minute, and yet they retained possession.

For a certain part of that game, the core 5 sophomores played unselfishly, and really worked on defense. That's when we were up 29 toward the end of the first half.

I was glad to see Justin Taylor to make a few baskets, and liked that Autry put that backdoor cut in for him. I saw more back cuts on the wing and the baseline, generally speaking, perhaps in response to Draymond Green's Twitter critique.

Starling with a great game. Mintz with a very good game. Maliq and Copeland both with good games. Bell shot well, and even scored a couple times inside the arc. He also got a couple rebounds and even a steal or two. Better floor game than usual. When Bell plays like that, it shows the kind of player he could be.

Not sure about the JJ shot you said did not get counted? I recall a shot he took and I thought he made but the announcers were saying he hit the bottom side of the net without going through the basket. I just was not sure but nothing more was ever said.

In my opinion I feel as Bell is trying real hard to improve. He is much, much better all around than he was early on this season. One thing he has to learn is how to control his emotions!

Not sure about the JJ shot you said did not get counted? I recall a shot he took and I thought he made but the announcers were saying he hit the bottom side of the net without going through the basket. I just was not sure but nothing more was ever said.

In my opinion I feel as Bell is trying real hard to improve. He is much, much better all around than he was early on this season. One thing he has to learn is how to control his emotions!

Yeah he shot one that short and ripped the front side of the net.

I must want to add one more thing......Damn glad the "luck of the Irish" did not dictate the outcome of this game!!

Shoulda been in for defense at the very least. Bell and Starling couldn’t guard a traffic cone.
I was screaming that at my tv especially since Bell wasn't getting any shots in the second half.

That was in fact an airball from JJ, Matt. Not a swish.

If it's the one I am thinking of, despite the fact that some of the crowd cheered (thinking it was a swish), it was an airball that hit the netting on the way down.
Pretty sure he actually airballed 2 threes

AA has a very tough time making obvious adjustments. He’d had us playing M2M with Brown’s man continuously standing way in the corner not moving at all, so Brown was out of position to rebound, block shots or cut off drives and block out. Bell’s man was at the top of the key & ND drove buy Bell for layups over & over. If the missed the layup they got the put back. No attempt at all buy AA to have Brown & Bell switch. Horrible coaching! Horrible!

Judah and Quadir have to be as bad of on ball and perimeter defenders as we’ve ever had. Chris Bell can’t handle it either. None of them can stop anything on a dribble drive. If ND didn’t spend 18 minutes puttering around in a slow half court, they could’ve won with some ease.

Another team shot 60%+ from the floor. 4th time in just 8 games after not allowing that in 600+ games. It’s embarrassing watching this team play defense.

AA has a very tough time making obvious adjustments. He’d had us playing M2M with Brown’s man continuously standing way in the corner not moving at all, so Brown was out of position to rebound, block shots or cut off drives and block out. Bell’s man was at the top of the key & ND drove buy Bell for layups over & over. If the missed the layup they got the put back. No attempt at all buy AA to have Brown & Bell switch. Horrible coaching! Horrible!
We’ve seen some really bad coaching this year. I am very nervous about this staff going forward. Red has had no answers defensively for most of the year and nothing is changing. In fact, it’s getting worse.

Absolutely, we are a young team, just win games. You can manipulate the stupid algorithms by using winning margins, but it is more important for us to LEARN HOW TO WIN. What works and what doesn't. We can win out!!!
not buying young team excuse, we are in late February of year 2 and they have all played a lot in 2 years. Also, in portal age you can't use youth as an excuse, every team's lineup is turned over every year, so every team is making adjustments because of newness and unfamiliarity with systems

not buying young team excuse, we are in late February of year 2 and they have all played a lot in 2 years. Also, in portal age you can't use youth as an excuse, every team's lineup is turned over every year, so every team is making adjustments because of newness and unfamiliarity with systems
You don’t have to buy it. A team with primarily sophomores and zero upperclassmen leadership IS young. Nobody on this team knows how to win.

Fun times
1000002479.jpg

What was shrewsberry flipping out about at the end?
He tried to get a timeout just before the shot at the 5 second mark. The ref ignored him but the shooter might already have started his motion.

Last edited:
Ends vs means.
The end is a win but the 2nd half was an embarrassment. ND put us in blender and Red had no answer. That is why its frustrating

Exactly!

I mean, you allow a college team, not to mention one the likes of ND, to score 57 points in a half, on your home court. That's just horrendous. ND's last possession/shot, although deep, was a very solid look to tie the game at 89. That bucket drops, and it goes to OT, who knows the outcome, but one would certainly have to think ND has the odds highly in their favor, especially with us being up 10 at 84-74 under the 2 minute mark left in the game.

Exactly. If I told you before the game that we won by 3. Most would be happy.
How it happened might be another story but take the win and don't complain.
We did make shots down the end that helped secure the win. A couple of free throws notwithstanding.
ND shot 62% for the game

and won the last 22 minutes of the game by something like a 26 point margin

Red and his staff need to figure out how to make better adjustments...and exactly what they should be attempting if they ever have a big lead again.

a lot of warts on this performance

I might be in the minority here, but Red has been really bad in many games. This team has blown huge leads in a few games which is coaching. We have played a good 40 minute game twice all season against UNC and Oregon. A win is a win, but having a 29 point lead evaporate against a 10 win team should be alarming. He was outcoached and ND was getting whatever they wanted the last 15 minutes. I like Red and think overall he has been okay, but I don’t get the praise. Still wait and see for me.
You say blown leads this year. How many of those games have we lost? Now do how many of the close games we won / loss? I'll help you

If we have a big lead (5+) we are: 12-0
If we have have a small Lead or Deficit (+/- 4 points) we are: 4-2 (Fell apart for Ga Tech & FSU)
If we have a big deficit (5+): 2-8 (Big Comebacks Colgate + Pitt round 1)

It's one thing to be frustrated with a bad half, which we all are, but wins are wins. Autry and these young guys are winning close games more often that not.

Starling was 6-17 and single handedly created NDs rally at the end of the half. Did not think he was good.

OK, not going to argue. He didn't have his best game, but he gives me confidence when he has the ball in his hands.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom