Need for Speed at WR? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Need for Speed at WR?

Tiller and Hay started as will Alexander. We can say what we want but three out of four Juco OL will have started which is a much higher percentage than those coming in as frosh. Also if we could have landed Streeter from Albany at WR we would have. The kid is a stud for Temple. Dont forget that Taj came in as a Juco and he worked out pretty well. Im not a huge fan of Jucos but feel as if 3-5 a year is a solid number if you have needs and next year we are going to have some big needs at WR and OL

You miss the point. Tiller and Hay were adequate. They started because there wasn't exactly any competition. But how good would they have been if they spent 4/5 years in the program?

Hay was significantly below average.
I always felt like Hay tried to make up for his lack of talent by playing stupid.

That probably came out sounding pretty harsh but he was really hard to root for.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Define "very good." He was an adequate starter, but he didn't stand out. Nor was he dominant. A kid that size coming in with an offer from Miami, I was hoping for / expecting a bit more. And on a team in desperate need of impact OL, he was adequate, but not much more.

Please understand, I'm a Tiller fan. I have stated repeatedly on the forums that he has been our most consistent OL the past two years. But he didn't exactly tear it up [which can be both good in the sense that he wasn't making mistakes and bad because he wasn't standing out], either--hence, why I consider him average instead of "very good."

I dont know Ryan, he is one of the best o-linemen we have had in years. Christ, if you add him with the player lined up on either side of him, you almost had two, fully-functioning, BCS caliber linemen. :rolleyes:

He is definitely someone that would have benefited from having five years in the program.

You miss the point. Tiller and Hay were adequate. They started because there wasn't exactly any competition. But how good would they have been if they spent 4/5 years in the program?
No Phat i dont miss the point. The point is simple if you have a need that cant be filled by kids coming in as frosh or those already in the program going the Juco route is an option. Dont you think that if Doug had guys that could have started from within the program he wouldnt have brought in Alexander? Jucos play a role and Doug has been very good at adding guys that contribute

Dont you think that if Doug had guys that could have started from within the program he wouldnt have brought in Alexander? Jucos play a role and Doug has been very good at adding guys that contribute

No I don't because at the time we needed bodies and he brought in some jucos, Alexander being one of them, although he hasn't played didly yet and it remains to be seen if he will at all. He's plugged a gap and provided depth which is fine. I never expect juco OL to make much of an impact.

If you have a hole or a depth problem you bring in a juco. If you don't you go the HS route.

No I don't because at the time we needed bodies and he brought in some jucos, Alexander being one of them, although he hasn't played didly yet and it remains to be seen if he will at all. He's plugged a gap and provided depth which is fine. I never expect juco OL to make much of an impact.

If you have a hole or a depth problem you bring in a juco. If you don't you go the HS route.
Isnt that what i posted? Also two of the juco bodies ending up starting

Define "very good." He was an adequate starter, but he didn't stand out. Nor was he dominant. A kid that size coming in with an offer from Miami, I was hoping for / expecting a bit more. And on a team in desperate need of impact OL, he was adequate, but not much more.

Please understand, I'm a Tiller fan. I have stated repeatedly on the forums that he has been our most consistent OL the past two years. But he didn't exactly tear it up [which can be both good in the sense that he wasn't making mistakes and bad because he wasn't standing out], either--hence, why I consider him average instead of "very good."

I considered him "very good" because he was named First Team All-Big East last year (by the coaches, not by an internet forum), and because he was consistent. I think it's pretty tough to "stand out" when the guy right next to you on your right is making idiotic plays nearly every snap, and the guy to the left of you is 240 lbs. soaking wet.

I think any coach in their right mind would take a two-year starter and all-league player from the JUCO ranks. And I'd be willing to wager they would call him better than average.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom