Need to be able to run the ball Friday | Syracusefan.com

Need to be able to run the ball Friday

K

K Otto XLIV

Last season Rhode Island was 110/121 FCS teams in rushing D. No excuse not to run the ball well Friday night.

IMO for SU to be successful we need to establish the run. Even in 2012 the O had its ups and downs until we committed to the run halfway through the season. Last season we only ran the ball well vs CMU and MD. Even crazier was that we never really tried to establish the run even after Hunt went down. I don't see SU making a Bowl this year being a pass first team.

Off tackle runs sweeps traps straight iso blocking...mix it up and pound them!

Last season Rhode Island was 110/121 FCS teams in rushing D. No excuse not to run the ball well Friday night.

IMO for SU to be successful we need to establish the run. Even in 2012 the O had its ups and downs until we committed to the run halfway through the season. Last season we only ran the ball well vs CMU and MD. Even crazier was that we never really tried to establish the run even after Hunt went down. I don't see SU making a Bowl this year being a pass first team.
Mark it down ... 250+ Friday night

Agreed. But I want to see signs that the offense can mix in the pass and execute effectively, despite the talent differential.

Is the offense still broken, or is Lester legit? That's what I'll be looking for Friday.

The O looked much better...of course the D might be much worse...we'll find out in September

I suspect we'll try to overpower them before we try anything else. You won't see the freeze-option 80 yard pass in this one.

I suspect we'll try to overpower them before we try anything else. You won't see the freeze-option 80 yard pass in this one.

Nor should we. I don't expect to see the playbook opened up much. I do expect execution much better than what we were subjected to last year. I think we roll them, even playing conservatively.

Nor should we. I don't expect to see the playbook opened up much. I do expect execution much better than what we were subjected to last year. I think we roll them, even playing conservatively.
i agree with your assessment re the playbook. we should roll them or we have serious issues. expect r.i. to throw 40-5o times

Agreed. But I want to see signs that the offense can mix in the pass and execute effectively, despite the talent differential.

Is the offense still broken, or is Lester legit? That's what I'll be looking for Friday.
i am curious to see how hunt plays, throwing in particular

....Last season we only ran the ball well vs CMU and MD. Even crazier was that we never really tried to establish the run even after Hunt went down.....

There was a reason for that. Wilson and Long were no threat to run, and not credible in an option. Hunt makes the difference in the run game.

i agree with your assessment re the playbook. we should roll them or we have serious issues. expect r.i. to throw 40-5o times

Even if we roll them, I'm reminded of Gerg's first year: We lost our first game closely to WVU, then came back and pounded Buffalo. I was thinking "okay, first game was an aberration, looks like we got the kinks worked out." Then we proceeded to lose the next 10. :(

Run to set up the pass is Lester's mantra. I'd expect we run it until a lot the first couple of series. Get a modest lead and then unleash it all.

I think we're going to run like crazy Friday night.

I just hope we don't setup another year 2000. Played a completely overmatched Buffalo in the opener at home, did almost nothing but run the ball down their throat for a 63 to 7(ish) clobbering. The next week, went to Cincy, they had a giant run stuffing DT. We couldn't run through him. And it looked like we had hardly practiced the forward pass.

Just run whatever offense we need to run, but don't hold things back. We'll win games by executing, not by surprising.

i still dont get the complaints about the short side option.. its a play best run short side and go back thru history all the teams that ran it well ran short side most of the time.

The problem is that if we do overmatch them, the team likely will still play pretty vanilla so they don't provide film to upcoming opponents of our trickier plays. We won't know much about the team until week 3.

I think we're going to run like crazy Friday night.

I just hope we don't setup another year 2000. Played a completely overmatched Buffalo in the opener at home, did almost nothing but run the ball down their throat for a 63 to 7(ish) clobbering. The next week, went to Cincy, they had a giant run stuffing DT. We couldn't run through him. And it looked like we had hardly practiced the forward pass.

Just run whatever offense we need to run, but don't hold things back. We'll win games by executing, not by surprising.
they ran at mongo all day (not my name, that's what the cincy team called him)

that was the game they lined up baniewicz at WR. the prequel to our bubble screen adventures, we didn't even know it at the time

also known as the day that a future NFL 1st round pick joined the OL

URI had twice as many fumbles as SU did last year. With Shafer's blitz schemes, I'd expect to get a bunch of turnovers.

URI had twice as many fumbles as SU did last year. With Shafer's blitz schemes, I'd expect to get a bunch of turnovers.

We might not be too blitz crazy against URI unless the game is still close, IMO. That's part of what they want to keep under wraps, I'll bet.

We didn't commit to the run until game 7. Pugh was back game 5.
same thing and they destroyed rutgers in the air, never should have lost that game... :bang::bang::bang:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom