Need to be able to run the ball Friday | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Need to be able to run the ball Friday

We might not be too blitz crazy against URI unless the game is still close, IMO. That's part of what they want to keep under wraps, I'll bet.

There's years and years of data on our defense. And opposing coaches still give us credit for saying we are the most unpredictable blitz team. I don't think we'll hold back anything for surprise.

Hopefully same on offense. If you're waiting for some kind of kitchen sink (one of the better concepts on this board over the years), then you probably can't execute your base offense all that well.

Millhouse said:
they ran at mongo all day (not my name, that's what the cincy team called him) that was the game they lined up baniewicz at WR. the prequel to our bubble screen adventures, we didn't even know it at the time

Wasn't that also the game we kept dropping Freeney back into coverage in our late game prevent D?

a.k.a. The game I wanted to break everything that was ever made.

I want Hunt to air it out. If we want to go bowling it will be resting on Hunts arm not legs. Hunt needs all the passing game reps we can get. Air it out non-stop. If we can't beat RI in the air then we have serious problems.

I agree. We still play football to win games 21-17, when the game typically takes 30+ points to win these days.

It's interesting that there seem to be two dueling conventional wisdoms when it comes to offense when playing inferior teams. One is that a team should be vanilla and not give future opponents any tape to use in preparation. The other is that a team should throw a bunch of stuff out there and force future opponents to prepare for everything imaginable.

In our circumstance I'd probably prefer we take the latter approach, not even so much that we want to give others a lot to prepare for, but that we could simply use the work.

I'll be disappointed if we don't put up 500+ yards of offense, and I think we could wind up getting 300 on the ground. I don't think that's a testament to how great we are running the ball or anything, I just think Rhode Island is pretty lousy and we should be able to dominate them at the line, and we have several guys who can put up chunks of yards. I'm thinking 100 for DMC, 60 for Morris, 50 for Hunt, 40 for Fredericks, 30 for Erv, and then whatever Lewis/Strickland and any reverses or whatever else we decide to try gets us.

It's interesting that there seem to be two dueling conventional wisdoms when it comes to offense when playing inferior teams. One is that a team should be vanilla and not give future opponents any tape to use in preparation. The other is that a team should throw a bunch of stuff out there and force future opponents to prepare for everything imaginable.

In our circumstance I'd probably prefer we take the latter approach, not even so much that we want to give others a lot to prepare for, but that we could simply use the work.
This is also why I like rotating a lot of guys at the skill position. Gives the defense more to have to scout, more variety and tendencies to watch for.

I know, I know, McDonald was the worst and he rotated a lot of guys so it's the worst idea ever, so there couldn't possibly be any merit to it.

I agree with the open up the playbook a bit approach

new OC, rusty QB, team that needs some pop...

this is malleable opponent and we should take the opportunity to work out our kinks against them

Chip said:
I think we're going to run like crazy Friday night.

I just hope we don't setup another year 2000. Played a completely overmatched Buffalo in the opener at home, did almost nothing but run the ball down their throat for a 63 to 7(ish) clobbering. The next week, went to Cincy, they had a giant run stuffing DT. We couldn't run through him. And it looked like we had hardly practiced the forward pass.

Just run whatever offense we need to run, but don't hold things back. We'll win games by executing, not by surprising.

Agreed and the point of these pass concepts out of varied formations is to create open recievers and surprise regardless of film study by the opponent.

Just trying to physically overpower them on every play would be the best way to make the game closer than it needs to be. We don't need any "trick plays". Just run the offense as it's designed. Make them cover everybody and the whole field. We're not just bigger. We're faster and more talented. Let's use all of those advantages.

I'd prefer the latter because of both. Yes, we need the work so it's dumb to waste a game situation by running every 1st and 2nd down, and I think you also want to give the next team more to prepare for than less. Make their week a little less productive.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sdot

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom