NET and KenPom Tracker 23-24 (SU = 84 3/9/24) | Page 31 | Syracusefan.com

NET and KenPom Tracker 23-24 (SU = 84 3/9/24)

UNLV just jumped 8 spots to go ahead of us by beating 8-17 Air Force by 29 points. Memphis jumped up 7 to pass us by beating Charlotte by 24. Lol

We need some blowout wins

This NET is such crap. You got teams with losing records and teams in lower rated leagues ahead of Syracuse.

Three teams ahead of Cuse because they ran up Q4 wins?

James Madison is 55 (17-0)
McNeese St is 51 (14-1)
San Francisco is 59 (14-2)

You're telling me NCAA those three teams are better resumes than Syracuse?

Bradley is 68 - went 14-4 in Q3 and Q4 games
N Texas is 75. 1-8 v Q1/2

Grand Canyon is 45. Went a whopping 3-2 v Q1/2. Clearly schedule tough.

Net is a joke.
San Francisco resume on NET. So this resume is 28 spots better Than Syracuse?!? That is a joke. They have 0 Quad 1 wins in 6 tries. They have just 1 Quad 2 win. Syracuse is at least 5-8 in Quad 1 and 2 match ups.

SanFranNET.jpg

Syracuse NET.jpg

Attachments

• SyracuseNET.jpg
    SyracuseNET.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 20
  • SyracuseNET.jpg
    SyracuseNET.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 15
Can we all just read the entire thread before we respond with "corrections"?
I can empathize. When you don’t live on the forum and have pages of unread posts in a thread there may be a compulsion to respond when you come across a post that warrants it rather than finish the thread, get through all the bad puns, double entendres and fun memes then go back and search for the post you intended to respond to. I suppose if you find you are duplicating a subsequent post you could go back and delete yours?

Hate to break it to everyone, but unless we win out during the regular season and beat some combination of Duke/UNC/Wake/Clemson in the ACCT we are done. Our cake was baked even before we beat UNC.

Hate to break it to everyone, but unless we win out during the regular season and beat some combination of Duke/UNC/Wake/Clemson in the ACCT we are done. Our cake was baked even before we beat UNC.

We may have quite the extreme though in terms of our resume given it will be purely on scoring margin that really ruined us when it comes to our Net ranking.

Almost every major move in the net is about teams that won big or lost big now. One game moving 5 or 6 spots or even 10 spots should be about the opponent you beat not the margin. That ultimately impacts quad records given the volatility too. Is what it is. What’s interesting too is that given the math it’s possible we could have beaten Tennessee and Clemson by a point to be 19-8 and lost by more in other losses or won by less in other wins and still be sitting in the 70s if I follow the math correctly.

Last edited:
We may have quite the extreme though in terms of our resume given it will be purely on scoring margin that really ruined us when it comes to our Net ranking.

I agree but I'm not sure that NET is any more or less flawed than RPI. Somewhere in between those two systems would be better IMO. Its still going to be imperfect.

That said regardless of scoring margin if we would have taken care of business against BC, FSU and GT we would be at least in the 50's for NET and in the NCAAT. That is something the coaches and players did have control over.

I agree but I'm not sure that NET is any more or less flawed than RPI. Somewhere in between those two systems would be better IMO. Its still going to be imperfect.

That said regardless of scoring margin if we would have taken care of business against BC, FSU and GT we would be at least in the 50's for NET and in the NCAAT. That is something the coaches and players did have control over.

maybe in the 60s but not 50s which yeah would help us. I’m not so much speaking to us as I am in general. Wake is a good example on the other end of the spectrum

Net is all over . But so are quad rankings.

In a fantasy schedule say you played Purdue 5 times and went 0-5 and someone else played on the road vs Richmond and won 5 times..

Which schedule would be harder? one team is 0-5 quad 1 and one team is 5-0 in quad 1.

if Mcneese played an ACC schedule would they be 19-3 and 50th in the country? great they are 14-1 in quad 4 games though. Good that they beat the worst team in the B10 one time.

Net is all over . But so are quad rankings.

In a fantasy schedule say you played Purdue 5 times and went 0-5 and someone else played on the road vs Richmond and won 5 times..

Which schedule would be harder? one team is 0-5 quad 1 and one team is 5-0 in quad 1.

if Mcneese played an ACC schedule would they be 19-3 and 50th in the country? great they are 14-1 in quad 4 games though. Good that they beat the worst team in the B10 one time.

Ultimately it would be far easier with 150 or 200 teams vs 350. I think that the sheer number of teams eligible for ranking is what makes college hoops fun but also metrics to be so flawed.

Yup, losing those games to BC and FSU are what killed us. We'd have a clear path to the tournament. And I felt we should never have lost those games.

Edit: obviously GT too, but IMO we were out of contention when we lost those games to BC and FSU.

What they lack for the NET is the one off page to see what happens.. for Hockey they have a what if. You change the result of a game and you can see what happens to the PWR and down the stretch you can determine what your team has to do to get into the NCAA.

You could create one pretty easy on the NET if someone had the ability to change a game or 2 and modify the score.. let you modify any random team from loss to a win and how much they won buy. It wouldnt be 100% but it would be pretty close.

NET is just a tool. Seems people struggle with that.

Nah that’s well understood but it drives the quad records that are heavily used. It doesn’t matter anyways season is lost or so I’ve read ;).

Young teams tend to struggle and we are no exception. Hopefully the kids can make it interesting and go on a run and see what happens.

Stressing about NET metrics is virtually pointless in SU's case. Without it, they'd still be 17-10 and on the outside looking in of the bubble.

Win the last 4 then start comparing resumes. In the meantime, save yourself the energy

Stressing about NET metrics is virtually pointless in SU's case. Without it, they'd still be 17-10 and on the outside looking in of the bubble.

Win the last 4 then start comparing resumes. In the meantime, save yourself the energy
Well, we have to piss and moan about SOMETHING! Any suggestions?

Well, we have to piss and moan about SOMETHING! Any suggestions?
How about playing Chaminade in a game that doesn't count. If that game is replaced by a big win over a Quad 4 team, what would our Net be?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom