New AD: Mark Coyle from Boise | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

New AD: Mark Coyle from Boise

I have heard that the direction of article is predetermined by the head honchos.
That is probably true -- seems like the producers control what articles get written and published (and how they're titled). As a reporter, I have found Chris to be pretty straight forward - no ax to grind. Hank Domin was the "author" of the Dion Waiters hatchet job (although the original piece was done outside the PS) ... and I think he's a managing producer ( obviously not an SU grad). I let him have it after he wrote that article and he insisted it was "news" (it wasn't, and was quickly retracted by the original author). Not Hank's finest moment.

Hearing it's down to two and we could know late this week or early next.

Will be very interesting.

Will the new AD have a marketing background or more of a compliance background?

At this point what is most important to the University - selling tickets or addressing/resolving NCAA issues?

Is there any truth to this?

@ccarlsononSU: cuseaholic No great info. rumors of some interest in Bucknell, Buffalo and New Hampshire ADs. Can't say how much or if it was acted on

Not sure if this was common knowledge, but UNH's AD Marty Scarano is married to an SU grad. It appears she is from CNY. Scarano had this quote in 2007 re: the possibility of SU adding ice hockey:

"I won't presume to speak for Syracuse, but I think a University with the size/reputation of Syracuse could probably pull it off and be successful. But could they compete for recruits with the likes of Colgate, Cornell, Renssalaer, etc. in Central N.Y.? I don't know. But it's clearly a hockey market with passionate fans. My guess is that they'd start small — perhaps in Atlantic Hockey — to keep costs in line and test the waters, and then look to ramp up their commitment once they have a better handle on the bottom line. Having said that, I'm not sure they could turn a buck in hockey there, especially starting from scratch and competing head-to-head with Orange basketball and the Syracuse AHL team. People only have so much discretionary income to spend on sports, and I'd think it'd be an uphill battle to attract enough fans to make a go of it financially."

Here's a perfect example of poor reporting:

The title reads:

Northern Illinois' Sean Frazier, a hot AD candidate, says he has no interest in Syracuse job

http://www.syracuse.com/orangesport...o_interest_in_syr.html#incart_related_stories

Nate Mink "authored" the story -- or non-story depending on your viewpoint. No doubt he was instructed to run this, although the reason is unclear. Not only is it not news, the title is unnecessarily unflattering (implying that either "SU can't land a 'hot' AD candidate", or "good candidates don't want the SU job"). This happens all the time at the PS (when SU is the subject) -- in fact, you can be sure the titles with the most shock value are followed by articles with the least content.

Mink forgot to include that Bill Parcells, Bill Belichick and Jon Gruden also have no interest in the SU AD job. #badreporting[/
Exactly -- they could go back to Jake Crouthamel and get a quote' from him too: "FORMER SU AD HAS NO INTEREST IN COMING BACK TO SU". Thanks, Nate.

Last edited:
For the first time, I hope that you are dead wrong. The last time it happened, it blew up our recruiting class. Remember Ray Rice? Never, never fire the staff until after National Signing Day!

Actually the time to make a change is right after a bad regular season. It gives you a better opportunity to get a good coach and gives him a better opportunity to get a good staff who will have more time to contact recruits. The mistake was firing a guy after a bowl game. After all, we were in a bowl game and at that point you are going to get the dregs of who's availalbe for a coaching staff with no time to recruit or re-recruit players.

kinda surprised the sub standard hasnt offered me a job yet- im kinda negative toward hcss ability as a head coach -

am ignorant as all heck

cant speell without wordcehk

have zero interest in writing readable things

only thing i can think of is they already have enough guys that fit the description

It may have changed since my day as a copy boy, but there were guys who wrote headlines not the guys who actually wrote the stories. Wonder if it is still the same.

that's because there is no negative angle. They tried to create one when the guy from NIU who was never a candidate and never applied said he was not leaving NIU. Not gonna find the story but did a story about it. jekelish

Yep. Axe told me they should be picking the next AD. Moxie? Nope. Arrogance? Too much credit. 10000% Foolishness - YEP.

At this point what is most important to the University - selling tickets or addressing/resolving NCAA issues?

Better be both.

It may have changed since my day as a copy boy, but there were guys who wrote headlines not the guys who actually wrote the stories. Wonder if it is still the same.
i always thought this is the dumbest policy in journalism. headlines contradict stories all the time because you have someone else interpreting it badly

i hope its winning football games, for that will sell tickets.

and ehh compliance? whatever, that will work itself out. its already done anywho.

I am torn between someone with depth of experience and someone like White, who might shake things up. Tough call.

i always thought this is the dumbest policy in journalism. headlines contradict stories all the time because you have someone else interpreting it badly
It's reached the point where there's little "journalism" in many of the titles -- just shock value. Hank Domin apparently feels that, since his (sports) demographic at the PS primarily consists of SU fans and alums, titles with negative or shocking slants will leave his readers aghast and they'll pepper the site with hits to see what went wrong. Maybe that's the way he learned journalism at "Bloomsburg University of Pennsylvania".

Nice story Mink. Syracuse never even contacted the guy. smh

Last edited:

I am hoping the new A.D. will be amphibious.

Even if he had been contacted, isn't the consensus that non-disclosure agreements have been signed? Not that it matters, I have a hard time believing anybody there is qualified to identify candidates for our University.

Journalism has gone the way of blogging, that's not a knock on blogging, but, the two are tough to distinguish from one another anymore.

"News" reads more like an editorial nowadays. Objectivity, the foundation of journalism, is more and more difficult to recognize. Unfortunately, in order for print organizations to survive, their business model had to shift somewhat.

Sensationalism is the norm now.

Even if he had been contacted, isn't the consensus that non-disclosure agreements have been signed? Not that it matters, I have a hard time believing anybody there is qualified to identify candidates for our University.

Journalism has gone the way of blogging, that's not a knock on blogging, but, the two are tough to distinguish from one another anymore.

"News" reads more like an editorial nowadays. Objectivity, the foundation of journalism, is more and more difficult to recognize. Unfortunately, in order for print organizations to survive, their business model had to shift somewhat.

Sensationalism is the norm now.
Throw in talk radio and 24 hour news and you've got the dumbing down of America. Just give some facts and a little context and we can make up our own minds.

I think White is impressive and I would be happy with him as well.

What would be truly ironic about hiring White is that his father, Dr. Kevin White, was once the AD at Tulane. I believe it was his first job as Director of Athletics. His successor, Sandy Barbour, was the last great AD Tulane had. Sandy ultimately resigned from the job at Tulane in the wake of their President going behind her back and hiring Chris Scelfo as Head Coach of the football team after they had promised Rich Rodriguez the promotion from OC to HC. Rick Dickson succeeded Sandy Barbour, and now he's a finalist for the AD job at Syracuse!

Sandy followed Kevin White to Notre Dame, then became AD at Cal-Berkeley and is now the AD at Penn State. White went from ND to Duke. His other son was the HC of Louisiana Tech basketball, until last month when he moved up to the same position at Florida, taking over in the wake of Billy Donovan's departure.

What would be truly ironic about hiring White is that his father, Dr. Kevin White, was once the AD at Tulane. I believe it was his first job as Director of Athletics. His successor, Sandy Barbour, was the last great AD Tulane had. Sandy ultimately resigned from the job at Tulane in the wake of their President going behind her back and hiring Chris Scelfo as Head Coach of the football team after they had promised Rich Rodriguez the promotion from OC to HC. Rick Dickson succeeded Sandy Barbour, and now he's a finalist for the AD job at Syracuse!

Sandy followed Kevin White to Notre Dame, then became AD at Cal-Berkeley and is now the AD at Penn State. White went from ND to Duke. His other son was the HC of Louisiana Tech basketball, until last month when he moved up to the same position at Florida, taking over in the wake of Billy Donovan's departure.

Solid first post

That's a lot of begatting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bspencer309

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom