New AD: Mark Coyle from Boise | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

New AD: Mark Coyle from Boise

Crusty said:
Translation: He didn't get the job.

Agreed. I have a gut feeling it's going to be White. Which I think would be a great choice. Like his pedigree and like that he's got his feet wet at a place that requires you do some heavy lifting yourself. I bet his dad told him to go somewhere where he had a challenge.

As far as the P-S goes. If a source told someone who posts on this board that were down to three, why wouldn't the same source tell other people, who might know Mink.

Not a big deal. I have bigger issues with their clickbait model.

White's football history is as follows:

UB went 4-8 his first year as AD. 8-5 with a bowl loss (8-4) in second year, 5-7 in third year.

Fired head coach and replaced him with an offensive coach whose teams scored 40.1 ppg and 36.9 ppg in the last two years at D3 level - both of which ended with national titles. New coach won 6 national championships in 8 years - granted he took over a program that had already been 14-1 in consecutive years, but that's pretty impressive all the same.

Don't have any idea what kind of offense Wisconsin Whitewater runs, but I'm pretty sure whatever system they run works.

Only question I have is that he is really young. 35 years old. Is he ready for this big of a jump?

White's football history is as follows:

UB went 4-8 his first year as AD. 8-5 with a bowl loss (8-4) in second year, 5-7 in third year.

Fired head coach and replaced him with an offensive coach whose teams scored 40.1 ppg and 36.9 ppg in the last two years at D3 level - both of which ended with national titles. New coach won 6 national championships in 8 years - granted he took over a program that had already been 14-1 in consecutive years, but that's pretty impressive all the same.

Don't have any idea what kind of offense Wisconsin Whitewater runs, but I'm pretty sure whatever system they run works.

Only question I have is that he is really young. 35 years old. Is he ready for this big of a jump?
Time to take a chance on someone like this. Young man seems to get it.

Time to take a chance on someone like this. Young man seems to get it.

Serious question, what's the difference between a young up and comer like this, looking to make his mark, and TGD?

That sounds like it came straight from Hurley's publicist.
I was thinking the same thing. Pretty one sided. Might have been Hurley covering his azz.

Moontan said:
"Take a chance" is something SU can't afford to do. Better to pay a bit more for someone who's been around a bit longer.

Yep. With the situations we have at SU right now...NCAA stuff, football program not where it needs to be, poor football attendance, fund raising issues, questions about the Dome and long term facility plans, fairly new to the ACC, it's my opinion we need someone with experience. Now isn't the time for an up and comer.

That sounds like it came straight from Hurley's publicist.
Perhaps, but once Hurley was gone what would be the point of him making stuff up? In fact, making stuff up about a former AD is definitely a long term worse career move than simply taking a better job to further your career.

Here's an interesting read on how White mishandled the Hurley situation. I had forgotten how this all went down.

Hurley had change in heart after UB mishandled situation
I grew up in Buffalo, and read their news almost daily. That author, Bucky Gleason, is a pretty negative troll (there are actually two of them in Buffalo, king troll Jerry Sullivan- think Bud P with a worse disposition; and Bucky, troll junior). I remember the moment when that article came out being 99% confident that Bucky was looking to put a negative spin on a decision that Hurley drove the whole time. Hurley looked at EVERY role open at the end of the NCAA tourney (at least who would consider him), and was wanting to be in a place where he could win big, or Power 5 easy to bring back. UB had no chance versus AZ State. Bucky's article was just his typical negative stuff... Nothing White could have done there.

Poor judgment by White. But then maybe he needed to impress his board with how much money he saved on the HC position. Don't know what he paid the guy that replaced Hurley but it was probably like half as much. NY State U comes off looking pretty small time.

Here's an interesting read on how White mishandled the Hurley situation. I had forgotten how this all went down.

Hurley had change in heart after UB mishandled situation
Ouch.
It sounds like he gambled and lost. SU can't afford a bad gambler.

While the story was told from Bobby's side, if some of the facts are true (not talking to agents, etc.) then it places me even more in the "SU needs a more experienced AD" camp.

Serious question, what's the difference between a young up and comer like this, looking to make his mark, and TGD?

Big fish, small pond (White) vs. small fish, big pond (TGD).

Translation: He didn't get the job.
i'm not so sure that syracuse is an easy sell,at this point in time. sanctions, shaky football program, dome antiquity and lack of future plan, new chancellor, which no one has a feel for his commitment to athletics yet,and the ad has to report to. bucknell is a stable job,w/o the high risk factors of a p5 school with issues, and notoriously cheap. i don't know if being a private school is a negative or not. i do believe that the local politics of the mayor, if researched by the candidate, would be a negative

tipphill said:
i'm not so sure that syracuse is an easy sell,at this point in time. sanctions, shaky football program, dome antiquity and lack of future plan, new chancellor, which no one has a feel for his commitment to athletics yet,and the ad has to report to. bucknell is a stable job,w/o the high risk factors of a p5 school with issues, and notoriously cheap. i don't know if being a private school is a negative or not. i do believe that the local politics of the mayor, if researched by the candidate, would be a negative

Candidates look at things like shaky football programs as challenges to fix - if they don't we shouldn't want them.

Most of your list falls under "the jobs too hard" - which is silly. Every AD job has its challenges. Syracuse is a good job - and there are only so many P5 schools.

Don't kid yourself, Syracuse is a better job than Bucknell.

Why would you think the chancellor isn't going to support the sports programs. In the end he's there to make the university the best he can and make money for future growth. How do you do that, well you bring in as much money as possible and guess what football and basketball is a money printing machine so the answer is yes he is pro athletics. He may not like them but he will support them and give them what ever they need to survive and prosper

Ouch.
It sounds like he gambled and lost. SU can't afford a bad gambler.

While the story was told from Bobby's side, if some of the facts are true (not talking to agents, etc.) then it places me even more in the "SU needs a more experienced AD" camp.

If you're at Buffalo, and you already hired the guy once (did he talk to an agent then?), you have some more leeway to say I'm not going thru an agent. Plus I'm sure White knows what we all know, a successful Bobby Hurley is nothing more than a short term solution. Guys with recognizable names like that (and even those without) don't stay at jobs like Buffalo once they don't have to. Regardless of what this article assumes.

Take a job at a school like Syracuse, and the I don't deal with agents narrative changes. I'm sure White is smart enough to know that. He's just enjoying that one perk of a Buffalo gig.

If you're at Buffalo, and you already hired the guy once (did he talk to an agent then?), you have some more leeway to say I'm not going thru an agent. Plus I'm sure White knows what we all know, a successful Bobby Hurley is nothing more than a short term solution. Guys with recognizable names like that (and even those without) don't stay at jobs like Buffalo once they don't have to. Regardless of what this article assumes.

Take a job at a school like Syracuse, and the I don't deal with agents narrative changes. I'm sure White is smart enough to know that. He's just enjoying that one perk of a Buffalo gig.

Exactly.. Hurley would have left either way. Hurley will leave ASU, IMO if he is successful there and a big time east coast gig opens up. That said, ASU will pay to keep him, UB never would have done that at that scale. Always about the money with coaches, unless they feel the University will provide loyalty after a few lean years, which doesn't happen much. A replacement for Coach K will need to be found eventually as well. He does well at ASU for 4-5 years, you never know

The article says he did not use an agent when he was originally hired.

"Hurley was uncomfortable talking money, and making his own argument, when dealing with his boss. He did so when he first arrived because he badly wanted the job."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom