New Assistant: Dan Engelstad [Official] | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

New Assistant: Dan Engelstad [Official]

Interesting hire. I wonder if this guy is sick of having players raided by larger schools.

I know that Red’s stated goal is to recruit the DMV like we’ve never done before. This would do that plus.
Plus having an experienced coach helps with evaluating portal talent too. Straughn is a great game prep guy in addition to recruiting.

No angst...this board has been all over the place lately. We get Eddie and people act like we should've landed Shaq. We (might) get Leffew and people are upset we didn't get Kyrie. I think the staff is doing decent with what's available out there and it just seems like this board has been such downers about everything. (I kinda understand considering Yukon just went back to back ) maybe I need to up my expectations lol.

“We get Symir and people act like we should have gotten a valid PG”

Sometimes if there are people concerned about something it’s because it’s valid. I know it’s crazy

Fwiw, personally I’m not down on the hire. I know little about him. I just don’t agree on suggesting negativity is for negativities sake after the recent history we’ve seen

Last edited:
“We get Symir and people act like we should have gotten a valid PG”

Sometimes if there are people concerned about something it’s because it’s valid. I know it’s crazy

Fwiw, personally I’m not down on the hire. I know little about him. I just don’t agree on suggesting negativity is for negativities sake after the recent history we’ve seen
1000007583.gif

It’s instinctual to focus on the questions, like why does the staff need so many DMV guys, why not someone with more high-major experience, etc. Not saying those questions aren’t valid but I’m gonna try to wait before reacting.

Last edited:
Didn't the guy with the bow tie do every well.?

maybe in the 90s when players stayed 4 years,

now, best case is your players do well and bounce IMMEDIATELY

as bad as the portal is for a program like Syracuse...its 10x worse for a MSM
I want an offensive innovator who can scheme and teach innovative sets and create lots of movement and off ball screening actions. That’s what we need. That’s how UConn turned into the Machine. The modeled their offensive concepts after European teams. I think Red and Griff can coach up the defense. I guess maybe Straughn can start making moves with the offense this off season.

yeah i totally expected them to pick up an offensive guru too

but both sides of the ball need better scheming, imo

for me, this hire is not about resume but simply about ability and intelligence...no idea how it will turn out but if it is only about leffew, guy better be good haha

He wasn't doing well as a head coach at Mt. St. Mary's so he probably started looking for a higher level assistant job as the pay is probably better. Many head coaches who were fired or not performing well become assistant coaches so I wouldn't worry about that.

"Prior to his time at Southern Vermont, Engelstad served as an assistant coach for three years (2010-13) at Holy Cross, where he was the defensive coordinator and played a vital role in recruiting and scouting. While at Holy Cross, he recruited and assisted in the development of current Toronto Raptor Malcolm Miller."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom