The New NIT Selection Process and Syracuse | Syracusefan.com

The New NIT Selection Process and Syracuse

jncuse

I brought the Cocaine to the White House
I know many couldn't give two bleeps about the NIT. And that is fine. But For me the NIT would be a nice step of progression for our program. And before last night it seemed like we may have been heading for a path to miss it.

But I did want to create a thread, because the NIT selection process is very different this year (to our benefit)

The NEW Nit Selection Process
1) 12 auto-bids to 2 top NET teams in each P6 conference that miss the NCAA -
We are not getting one of those spots most likely because of our NET.
2) No more auto bids to regular season conference winners that miss the NCAA - This could open 10-12 spots. This really helps the P6. This tournament will be the P6 invitational!
3) 20 "at-large" selections. While our NET is #85, our resume is much better than #85... I can find at least a dozen teams above #85 that we have a better resume than. We would easily be in the NIT as of now (I'll do another post on it below)

I’ve always liked the NIT. After the last couple of seasons it would be progress to play a postseason tourney after the ACC. With the new rules it’ll be a lot of Power 5 schools that went .500 in league play and won 17-20 games overall. A few sites project NIT and NCAA brackets and the updated one from today has SU as a 6 seed.

Playing with a few numbers as I'm watching the Raptors game. (can't focus on watching this blech team that closely)

In 2023, 2022, 2021, 2019, there were exactly 15 teams each year with NET's above 85 (85-300) that made the NCAA tournament. That leaves 53 teams with a net below 85 in the NCAA tournament.

If the next 32 in NET make the NIT Tournament, that puts NET Cutoff at #85.

Of course the selection is not exactly linear to NET, there will be teams above #85 in NET that will get in, but if you are top 85 in NET and have a fairly good tournament resume you are a lock on selection day. Which is Syracuse (as of now)

There are many teams in the top 85 in NET that have worse resumes than Syracuse as of now -- they would be the teams that get overtaken by those outside of the 85.

3 more wins the rest of the way easily gets it done in my view, possibly even 2. I hope for more.

In past years where the NIT seemed imminent I would always console myself by thinking it would be cool to be on what is probably a short list of schools to have won an NCAA title and an NIT. That would still be cool. I hope unless the improbable happens and we go on a crazy run that we make the NIT.

Btw, tried googling schools to win both NIT/NCAA but got gibberish. Anyone know which those schools might be?

In past years where the NIT seemed imminent I would always console myself by thinking it would be cool to be on what is probably a short list of schools to have won an NCAA title and an NIT. That would still be cool. I hope unless the improbable happens and we go on a crazy run that we make the NIT.

Btw, tried googling schools to win both NIT/NCAA but got gibberish. Anyone know which those schools might be?

Eyeballing the list of NIT champs from Wiki, I came up with
Stanford
Baylor
Ohio St
Michigan
Villanova
Virginia
UConn
UCLA
Indiana
Kentucky
Maryland
UNC
Marquette
Louisville
Holy Cross
CCNY
San Francisco

Kentucky
Utah
San Francisco
Holy Cross
Louisville
CCNY
North Carolina
Marquette
Maryland
Indiana
Virginia
Michigan
UCLA
UConn
Villanova
Baylor
Ohio State
Stanford

That’s from cross-referencing on my phone. I may have missed some.

Last edited:
This year it’s in Indy.

Yes, did some googling. The "Vegas" tournament, is the proposed tournament run by FOX to start in 2025, that forced the hand of the NCAA to change how they ran the NIT.

I could be wrong, but I believe it is centralized in Las Vegas now.
I just looked it up and the F4 is in Hinkle Field House in Indy, so it must be moving around, I think it would be kind of great to watch a game from Hinkle with Cuse in it if we don’t make the NCAAs

Yes, did some googling. The "Vegas" tournament, is the proposed tournament run by FOX to start in 2025, that forced the hand of the NCAA to change how they ran the NIT.

What the heck is this new tournament?

After descending from the heights of College Basketball, it's hard to get excited about the NIT. To my way of thinking the NIT is like kissing one's sister.
The NIT is a welcomed consolation prize, but only minimally gratifying.

The Vegas tournament was going to feature schools from the Big Ten, Big East and Big 12 who didn't make it into the Big Dance. The sixteen team tournament was going to start in 2025 and be broadcast by Fox Sports. This proposed future post-season tournament forced the NIT to change their selection process in late October to preempt a tournament on the Vegas Strip.

Last edited:
After descending from the heights of College Basketball, it's hard to get excited about the NIT. To my way of thinking the NIT is like kissing one's sister.
The NIT is a welcomed consolation prize, but only minimally gratifying.

I'd never feel gratified, minimally or not after kissing my sister

The Vegas tournament was going to feature schools from the Big Ten, Big East and Big 12 who didn't make it into the Big Dance. The sixteen team tournament was going to start in 2025 and be broadcast by Fox Sports. This proposed future post-season tournament forced the NIT to change their selection process in late October to preempt a tournament on the Vegas Strip.

That's the one. Has it officially been cancelled or delayed at this point?

I believe the changes made by the NIT basically ended current discussions about a Vegas tourney. The NCAA runs the NIT and the new selection process guarantees more schools from the big conferences and home games for the top seeds. It settles things for the time being, but the likelihood of a post season basketball tournament breaking away from the NCAA remains a possibility sometime in the future.

I believe the changes made by the NIT basically ended current discussions about a Vegas tourney. The NCAA runs the NIT and the new selection process guarantees more schools from the big conferences and home games for the top seeds. It settles things for the time being, but the likelihood of a post season basketball tournament breaking away from the NCAA remains a possibility sometime in the future.
That possibility won't happen in the near future as CBS and Turner extended the contract until 2032. They paid $8.8 billion to extend. With the chaos going on in college football, this is the lifeline for college sports for both men's and women sports across all Divisions.

The proposed Vegas tournament would have been a postseason basketball tourney without any NCAA involvement. Fox currently has broadcasting rights deals with the three conferences and the top 16 teams from the Big Ten, Big East and Big 12 that didn't make the NCAA Tournament would have been required to play in the Vegas event even if they were invited to the NIT. Fox Sports planned to get its corporate sponsors to set up NIL deals for participating players so the players would have been getting paid to play in the tourney. The NCAA bought he NIT in 2005 and this breakaway postseason basketball event probably would have led to the NIT's demise.

How about the final 4 of NIT become the first 4 of NCAA?

Take the first round losers (not the play in round) and setup a losers bracket that is a play in to a now 64 team NIT tournament with 32 teams from the NCAA. This would boost the NIT profile and how many people watch it along with giving both first round losers another shot to extend their season and teams in the NIT a shot to make it happen against the 16 winners from the first round NcAA loser play in. Additionally I think you make all 16 and 15 seeds play in games to make the tournament 72 teams with then the same mindset of the losers bracket. Open 13 and 14 seeds to P6 bubble teams as needed.

Sucks that we are now hoping to get into the NIT. But I've always wanted to win that thing, (if we can't be in the NCAA), especially since the refs robbed us of it in 1981.

NIT wise...we gotta be a Top 4 line seed by now.

Ultimately our NCAA fate will be decided in the next two weeks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom