New Assistant | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

New Assistant

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone advocating for Griff to move on right now is basically lacking brain cells. GMac just got a HC gig. Bad scenario to lose your top two assistants right now. I think it was time for GMac to move on. Griff being here for a while longer is a good thing. I’d like to see him improve his recruiting, but I don’t want to see him go right now.

I want someone who can teach D. Team D specifically - our guys had no concept on how to play team defense and if we are going to be man based we need to break it down and build it up. Fundamental concepts of how to play defense need to be taught.
Well said. I used almost exact same words before hiring Straughn.

Definitely want a big man who can coach big men, and hopefully recruit too.
Roosevelt Bowie

Or Bouie.

However SU wants to spell it (get it right you clowns), get him on staff. Imagine
him walking in to a recruit's house. And he does (did) know how to teach, as I can
remember him speaking at an SU basketball camp. From a few years ago, sure,
but he knew what he was talking about.

Kev

Anyone advocating for Griff to move on right now is basically lacking brain cells. GMac just got a HC gig. Bad scenario to lose your top two assistants right now. I think it was time for GMac to move on. Griff being here for a while longer is a good thing. I’d like to see him improve his recruiting, but I don’t want to see him go right now.
Personally, I don’t want him to move on, I want him to shift to guards and get a better big man coach/recruiter.

Recruiting or offensive minded coach.

This big man coach stuff is wild. These are professional coaches that have been around basketball or studied basketball most of their lives. You’re telling me they are not qualified to teach the game to centers because they are not tall?

This big man coach stuff is wild. These are professional coaches that have been around basketball or studied basketball most of their lives. You’re telling me they are not qualified to teach the game to centers because they are not tall?
No, because it’s a completely different facet of the game than a guard. You don’t have to be a big man to know it or teach it…but, you do have to learn it. And, it’s a lot to learn.

Bernie Fine was known as one of the best coaches for big men in his day. Same with Pete Newell who held camps for bigs and taught other coaches how to develop big men and he was 6’2”. Everyone is talking about UConn - one coach was a 6’4” guard in college, the other 2 assistants never even played college ball. Every assistant on Duke was a guard in college. Playing the center position in college has no correlation to their expertise on teaching the skills. Usually it’s people who have become real students of the game. It doesn’t mean that being tall, having played center means you can’t teach the center position, however for some reason they are very rare.
This is an internet message board. We don’t have time for your well-thought-out, reasoned and rational points.

No, because it’s a completely different facet of the game than a guard. You don’t have to be a big man to know it or teach it…but, you do have to learn it. And, it’s a lot to learn.
Ridiculous. But I’ll play your game. Jessie Edwards. Did he come to Syracuse as a Top 10 Center recruit? No. Did he leave Syracuse as one of the best Centers in college basketball? Yes.

Bottom line. A dedicated big man coach isn’t making our team better. Better players and a better half court offensive system is making our team better. Talent wins games in college basketball.

Ridiculous. But I’ll play your game. Jessie Edwards. Did he come to Syracuse as a Top 10 Center recruit? No. Did he leave Syracuse as one of the best Centers in college basketball? Yes.

Bottom line. A dedicated big man coach isn’t making our team better. Better players and a better half court offensive system is making our team better. Talent wins games in college basketball.
I’m not playing a game. Jesse came here good. He improved incrementally. Credit Griff…ok. Credit his national team..sure. Did he develop post moves he didn’t come here with, I don’t see it.

Jesse

It’s pretty darned difficult to know whether a position coach is effective. You only see the results and can run alternative scenarios. Bernie may be recognized as having been good, but by whom? Seikaly? Who had who else as a frame of reference? Bernie had some good talent to work with. And then he also had some with less talent who didn’t improve much. Pete Newell had camps. He put his name on an industry, but that’s branding. How do we know how good he was?

Duke and UConn have different needs than we do. If you are getting top 5 HS classes every year, you have talent to start. The contributions of the staff are again unknown. Pointing to Jesse as our (one) example in the last x years is kinda meaningless. Players come in with certain attributes and characters and they gain experience and they progress, hopefully. Jesse came in with quickness, good hands, etc. and that’s the player he became. He didn’t really develop new moves or skillsets. He didn’t really make a major leap in terms of technique. He improved with time and maturity. And his national team had some influence, as well.

Since we can’t really ‘know,’ I’m wondering why common sense isn’t more at play than ‘faith.’ Maybe Grif is studious and learned. Maybe he’s as good at working with bigs as the Duke and UConn staffers. But he would need to be better than that if he doesn’t have the raw material at the same level. Is he =/>? But in what arena of life would you not rather have someone teaching who has done that thing? Awkward sentence, but you get the gist. I would be confused by hiring Rick Jackson to teach our point guards the intricacies of their play.

I don’t care if the bigs coach is >6’10” or if he played C in college or pros. I do care that he has specialized experience, and it isn’t just a matter of shifting some guy we just happen to have on the bench into the role because… he’s there and he’s familiar. In a corporate scenario, do you just hire your friends or do you go out and get a candidate who has demonstrated something? [Again, the complication is that it’s difficult to demonstrate your impact on player progression.]

What surprises me, also, is the number of skilled, strong big guys in ‘lesser’ programs who are/will be in the portal. Suggests that they are either hard to identify or they’re being missed by a lot of programs or they are developing at those smaller programs and taking time. With us, though, we are getting ‘projects’ who don’t often enough pan out.

If you’ve seen Danny Schayes lately, he’s not getting up and down the court much these days. I’m not sure he can demonstrate much footwork!
Have not. I hope he is OK

This is an internet message board. We don’t have time for your well-thought-out, reasoned and rational points.
I don't know what the hell she was thinking.

It would also help if JAB over the years didn't have a weird fetish for recruiting 7'1 175 pound Centers, or Centers from Africa who played organized basketball for 2.5 years. Hard to mold something out of clay when your parameters are such...Honestly, if you put on ESPN+, you'll find Bigs in the CAA, A10, American conference etc who are shorter in stature but weigh 240 pounds...They're tough on the Boards and have a physicality that we've lacked since maybe Christmas or Onuaku...A couple of years back, Old Dominion had a 6'7'' power forward named Austin from Chicago (forgetting last name) that had a 23 rebound performance with like 10 points...Thought he would be a perfect Grad transfer to bring in etc...

It would also help if JAB over the years didn't have a weird fetish for recruiting 7'1 175 pound Centers, or Centers from Africa who played organized basketball for 2.5 years. Hard to mold something out of clay when your parameters are such...Honestly, if you put on ESPN+, you'll find Bigs in the CAA, A10, American conference etc who are shorter in stature but weigh 240 pounds...They're tough on the Boards and have a physicality that we've lacked since maybe Christmas or Onuaku...A couple of years back, Old Dominion had a 6'7'' power forward named Austin from Chicago (forgetting last name) that had a 23 rebound performance with like 10 points...Thought he would be a perfect Grad transfer to bring in etc...
It was his dumb desire to recruit length over strength for the 2-3 zone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors