New Assistant | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

New Assistant

Status
Not open for further replies.
Same LOL. Clingan missed most of them at least.
I was the guy at the other end of the rec center using the Mikan drill. If nothing else, it trains your off hand to get a shot off, every beginner needs to learn that

In today's college basketball world the development of players over multiple years isn't going to happen. You need to recruit, motivate, and be a good in game coach. Multi year projects will be rare

Yep, it really stinks. At least we are done with the guys in their mid-20s.

Coaching has to matter. Arizona was a freaking mess last night. Despite being the bigger, longer, faster and deeper team - they look outmatched when it came to execution.

UConn runs fantastic offensive sets - the talent is clearly there too, but they are so well coached.

You just can’t pretend all we need is a good recruiter and we’re set. You can all the talent in the world but when you look like Arizona did last night, coaching clearly matters

Coaching has to matter. Arizona was a freaking mess last night. Despite being the bigger, longer, faster and deeper team - they look outmatched when it came to execution.

UConn runs fantastic offensive sets - the talent is clearly there too, but they are so well coached.

You just can’t pretend all we need is a good recruiter and we’re set. You can all the talent in the world but when you look like Arizona did last night, coaching clearly matters
Agree. If Griff leaves I think we go one recruiter and one bench coach type. Louisville went with all recruiters the past two seasons and we saw how that turned out.

Boynton as Lead Assistant - Assistant Coach etc
Then when/if Griffin leaves get the best recruiter we can

You got to get the players who want to be coached though. There's still a healthy selection of players that are clearly auditioning.

Agree. If Griff leaves I think we go one recruiter and one bench coach type. Louisville went with all recruiters the past two seasons and we saw how that turned out.
I don’t simply want us to focus on an older experienced guy though. I want a proven offensive innovator, preferably a bright young up and comer who understands how to scheme using analytics. Basketball is constantly evolving and JB stopped evolving after he had refreshed the way he did things a few times over the decades. He relied way too heavily on constant high ball screens and the same old tired sets. We need someone who can scheme for the modern basketball world and get more motion and off ball screens into our offense.

Last edited:
Wonder how the loss of GMAC will affect our portal reach out? Also how many portal players, their agents, AAU coaches etc will try to get their own favorite into play as the new assistant. I imagine shooting guards in particular could be effected if he was the lure looking at the recent history of Buddy, Cole, Joe G, Chris Bell etc and wanting to take advantage of joining the list. More difficult I would imagine with uncertainty with the staff.

I’d love Hak. But he seems to enjoy traveling around the NBa as a scout too. He’s got little ones too.
NBA scouts aren’t paid well. I would think that being a college assistant would be better pay and more stability along with better visibility.

I got the thumbs down from many on here when I said Hurley ate JB's lunch and we were outcoached in our last meeting in the Garden preseason tourney of few years back. I think we blew that whole St Anthony's/Hurley thingy when we wait listed Bobby for pursuit of kenny anderson. No Rhoderick Rhodes chance after that...Pretty sure Hurley's don't like us...

NBA scouts aren’t paid well. I would think that being a college assistant would be better pay and more stability along with better visibility.
Hakim made 21M in the NBA...Seems like an intelligent level headed guy so I wouldn't think he blew through the money etc...Interesting proposition...I think if Allen Griffin left for a HC job, that would be a call to make.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom