New Assistant | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

New Assistant

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want a really old assistant, like 79 years old. Maybe an alum with a lot of head coaching experience. We should look for someone that has been in the broadcast booth for the last year or so, someone that knows a lot about zone…

Last edited:
Hakim made 21M in the NBA...Seems like an intelligent level headed guy so I wouldn't think he blew through the money etc...Interesting proposition...I think if Allen Griffin left for a HC job, that would be a call to make.
I think we want guys who have coached and have recruiting connections. It’s time to dilute the bloodline

That's ageist.
I revised my comment because it was unclear. My point is that we shouldn’t just hire an assistant because he has previous head coaching experience and has been around the block. I worry some of those guys are stuck in a rut, doing things the way they’ve always done them. I want an innovator. If we can get someone like Beilein who’s always been an offensive innovator (I know he’s not coming here), that would be amazing and his age would be irrelevant.

Last edited:
We need a recruiter, someone with HS connections that will also help us get some big portal fish (if we can pay).

I also don’t think we have good enough in-game coaching or offensive system. I’m worried about Red. This is where he needs to add someone that can help build up an offensive scheme.

We also need a GM. How a major program can maneuver the portal, keep incumbent players happy and help raise the necessary funds without a dedicate person or team is crazy. I have not heard the basketball team having addressed this, so please Red, push for this.

I believe it’s time for a complete philosophy change up on the hill. More teams are switching to an offensive coach and a defensive coach. Third coach tends to be a recruiter. Syracuse offense has been basic the last few years especially. Love to see an offensive guru. I don’t care how old, background or recruiting prowess. SU needs to be able to score against top teams.
Then Griff or whoever can focus on defense. Need to hash out rotations and communication errors that plagued the team this season.

IMO a successful team needs one X & O guy and 2 young energetic recruiters on the staff. Where do Griff and Straughn fit? And if they do not fit, they need to go. The new guy will need to fill which ever hole is open.

IMO a successful team needs one X & O guy and 2 young energetic recruiters on the staff. Where do Griff and Straughn fit? And if they do not fit, they need to go. The new guy will need to fill which ever hole is open.
So the guy who brought in our McDonalds All American doesn’t qualify as a good assistant?

I believe it’s time for a complete philosophy change up on the hill. More teams are switching to an offensive coach and a defensive coach. Third coach tends to be a recruiter. Syracuse offense has been basic the last few years especially. Love to see an offensive guru. I don’t care how old, background or recruiting prowess. SU needs to be able to score against top teams.
Then Griff or whoever can focus on defense. Need to hash out rotations and communication errors that plagued the team this season.
Absolutely this. Straughn is our recruiter. Give me an offensive guru. We need to be way more creative there.

Absolutely this. Straughn is our recruiter. Give me an offensive guru. We need to be way more creative there.

I don’t think offense was our problem last year. I think it was defense and a lot of that had to do with roster attrition. For the pieces we had available and lack of an actual post scoring threat. I thought we did quite well on offense.

I don’t think offense was our problem last year. I think it was defense and a lot of that had to do with roster attrition. For the pieces we had available and lack of an actual post scoring threat. I thought we did quite well on offense.
I hear you, but I think we had good one on one guys who could score. I worry that can’t be duplicated without a better and more consistent scheme. That said our defense certainly needs improvement and hopefully will with guys who play a bit harder on that end.

I want a really old assistant, like 79 years old. Maybe an alum with a lot of head coaching experience. We should look for someone that has been in the broadcast booth for the last year or so, someone that knows a lot about zone…
pretty sure hes already assisting (to a certain extent)

the offense was fine...until they played top 25 teams...then it got completely shut down

they did figure it out as the year went on...and did have some limitations in personnel

but there just wasnt enough of a scheme and the team was outcoached in x's and o's in a lot of games, imo

the defense was very bad to start the year...then got pretty good...then fell apart...idk if it was the scheme or not...it seemed just like individual breakdowns A LOT...but it was almost all of the players though...so maybe it was scheme too

i think the biggest need to address is X's and O's and would ike to see a mastermind schemer brought in

Does Gerry take anyone with him? Maybe he gives Devo the opportunity he really deserves.
Why does Devo deserve a shot other than we like him? He hasn't coached in high school. Or AAU. There are people out there that have payed their dues. Working the AUU circut during the summer for little reward. What do they deserve?

You specifically mentioned Straughns fit here in your post.

Yes, and I said an assistant should fit either being a good recruiter or being a good X&O guy. Does he fit either?

Why does Devo deserve a shot other than we like him? He hasn't coached in high school. Or AAU. There are people out there that have payed their dues. Working the AUU circut during the summer for little reward. What do they deserve?
You mean like Gmac:)

I hear you, but I think we had good one on one guys who could score. I worry that can’t be duplicated without a better and more consistent scheme. That said our defense certainly needs improvement and hopefully will with guys who play a bit harder on that end.

I don’t think we’ve really gotten to see the type of offense that red wants to run. I think if anything, Judah and Quadir consistently refused to run the offense as designed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sdot

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom